Fractal Torrent or Lian li 216

Soldato
I torn between the 216 and the Torrent, seen both reviews on Gamers Nexus, doesn't appear to be much in it regarding temps.. although both tomshardware and kitguru found that mounting at least one fan on top of the PSU shroud helped lower gpu temps (on the 216).
also seen a number posts mention the torrent scratches easily, which would be annoying.
also doesn't appear you can get replacement 160mm fans for the 216 if they fail..

thoughts please :-)

hardware in the case will be
7800x3d
4070s
Asus strix 650e-e
32GB DDR5 CL30 6000mhz
AK620 or Phantom spirit
couple of nvme's

I have the 216 and it works well with my components.

Not sure if you will need extra airflow for your 4070s though.

The mounting rails for the front fans are adjustable so if you can't get a replacement 160mm fan you can fit 140mm fans instead.

Another plus point is you can mount a thick radiator to the roof of the case and it does not obstruct the motherboard at all. (i have a 360mm AFIII in mine)

So i finally got my new case and cooler.

Went for the Lancool 216 and 360mm AFIII both none RGB.

Case is very easy to work with and has plenty of space for the thicker rad of the Arctic.

Was a little concerned about the fan speed on the case as i thought having them set up like my old case fans (DC) would run them at 5v, but they would not drop below 1100rpm.

Setting them to PWM allowed me to set them at 40% (~800rpm) and they are so much quieter.

Using the single power cable for the AIO as my motherboard only has 1 x CPU fan header and all other headers are at the bottom of the board.

Built my partners pc into a 216 and I really liked the case. Plenty of airflow in that as well, it's like a smaller Lancool 3 with less frivolity :).

The external rear fan is a gimmick though.

If you needed a replacement front fan Lian Li would sort you out, the experience I have had in terms of customer support have been quite good. (My Lancool 3 was missing a part and they sent it out quite quickly).

Edit: If you end up wanting to add a RGB fan in the back to match the layout of the front fans for any effects, then Cooler Master MasterFan MF140 has the same number of LEDs in the outside ring. At least it all matched up for us.

Last edited:
The only negative for the torrent is the top plastic cover. Also you will be “limited” to air cooler, as installing an AIO at the front defeats the point of owning a Torrent: the big front fans.
The 216 is good. Allow more flexibility, honest case for decent money.

The only negative for the torrent is the top plastic cover. Also you will be “limited” to air cooler, as installing an AIO at the front defeats the point of owning a Torrent: the big front fans.
The 216 is good. Allow more flexibility, honest case for decent money.
plastic top on £170 case :eek:... it's not a deal breaker assuming it's good quality and doesn't mark easily

I have the Torrent and would say that the top is decent quality plastic and does not seem to mark easily.

I added a 140 fan as an exhaust at the rear - flow seems a bit better balanced.

Air cooled. I formerly was watercooled but decided that air cooled was better for the longer term - less maintenance :)

I torn between the 216 and the Torrent, seen both reviews on Gamers Nexus, doesn't appear to be much in it regarding temps.. although both tomshardware and kitguru found that mounting at least one fan on top of the PSU shroud helped lower gpu temps (on the 216).
also seen a number posts mention the torrent scratches easily, which would be annoying.
also doesn't appear you can get replacement 160mm fans for the 216 if they fail..

thoughts please :)

hardware in the case will be
7800x3d
4070s
Asus strix 650e-e
32GB DDR5 CL30 6000mhz
AK620 or Phantom spirit
couple of nvme's
What did you go with in the end?

I chose the Torrent after a long time of debating. I came from a Silverstone FT02, one of the all-time great air-cooling cases, but it ended up being limited by the size of modern graphics cards.

I'm really pleased with my choice, it's damn-near silent, and everything runs nice and cool as well.

Back
Top Bottom