Fraimworks

Associate
Just wondered what people's opinions on them were. I'm mainly talking CSS like foundation and how they compare to things like bourbon with neat,bitters and refils which are more of a tool kit. I'm going to be making a small simple site that's not going to need updating that much just wondered what your thoughts on them are.

I know I've asked in the past which ones are the best. But this is more a question of are they used a lot by professionals or should you start with the basics first

Last edited:
Soldato
As with most software development, understand the underlying technology first, then utilise the frameworks for efficiency.

Once you understand the technology, you will be able to make an informed decision on which framework is right for you.

Associate
I am of the opinion of yes use a framework as you will only spend a lot of time writing and testing what is already available and gone through testing so why re-invent the wheel. But you should still definitely learn at least the basics of the language the framework was written in as no framework is ever going to be a 100% fit for purpose so knowledge of the language it was built in will allow you to modify and extend to fit your needs.

Associate
I find CSS frameworks 100% redundant. I end up spending more time overriding the CSS rules to fit my needs than I do building something from scratch. The result ends up being heavier HTML and heavier CSS that is less easily maintained because elements have more classes and more rules associated with them.

It's the difference between sculpting in clay and marble. In clay I can build up using only the material i need, in marble I need to chip away piece by piece until it's how I want it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom