Frame skip , hitching , stuttering in games

Man of Honour
It's all the same to me, stuff I don't want in my games.

Though there's usually a difference between stuttering and the game going jerky I've found. Stuttering is usually the worst as, for example, it happens in Half-Life 2 a lot and causes the game to actuall freeze or slow down a little for a second. A game going jerky to me anyway is just the framerate dropping to something rubbish and doesn't feel smooth any more, but the game still goes on as normal.

Caporegime
OP
Thanks for the reply...

Ive noticed numorus hitching in games like battlefield 2, frame rates are constantly in the 60fps range on my 60hz tft... When walking about the ground/buildings,tree's hitch , ive stood still and watched people walk past or drive past and it doesnt do it..

Only when actually walking

Strange to explain it, its like a 1sec skip

Man of Honour
My view:

-Frame skip = Frame isn't rendered by monitor for some reason. Could be down to something as simple as vsync being enabled and framerate dropping below refresh rate.
-Hitching = A noticeable pause, perhaps due to disk access but also due to network packet loss.
-Stuttering = fairly generic term for an extended period of low framerate - sometimes this will be caused by prolonged hitching.

Associate
I get hitching all the time playing Battlefield. I've got a 20" WS monitor, and only play at medium settings, but HD access happens everytime I look at something new. Can't wait to get that extra gig of ram, I'm hoping it'll make all the difference.

Caporegime
OP
Paramount said:
I get hitching all the time playing Battlefield. I've got a 20" WS monitor, and only play at medium settings, but HD access happens everytime I look at something new. Can't wait to get that extra gig of ram, I'm hoping it'll make all the difference.

I have 2gb, it does it once every 5mins very annoying... i thought it was hard drive related however after further testing it isnt :mad:

Back
Top Bottom