• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Framerate Isn't Good Enough: Latency Pipeline, "Input Lag," Reflex, & Engineering Interview

@Nexus18 , what was the PC Latency for the GeForce now, something around 120ms I think you've said somewhere?

From my experience, latency is and ... it isn't necessarily and issue. For the same latency you can get a choppy experience, while a bit higher one, will be smoother and the overall feel of the gameplay, better. It's a delicate balance between frame delivery and latency, that's why at times FG gives a better experience, although it adds a bit of "lag", the overall feel of the game is a lot nicer.

@Nexus18 , what was the PC Latency for the GeForce now, something around 120ms I think you've said somewhere?

From my experience, latency is and ... it isn't necessarily and issue. For the same latency you can get a choppy experience, while a bit higher one, will be smoother and the overall feel of the gameplay, better. It's a delicate balance between frame delivery and latency, that's why at times FG gives a better experience, although it adds a bit of "lag", the overall feel of the game is a lot nicer.

Depends on what you are using:

iwkRsr8.png

According to the readout overlay, my latency (just for the connection/internet) was about 25-29ms iirc.

Agree though, give me motion fluidity and smoothness/clarity over latency any day, for example, cp 2077 with frame gen and dlss is a much more enjoyable experience over just dlss/native.

I found that games like Counterstrike 2 and Mordhau worked better for me with the framerate capped at 60 in game, as their were no connection latency spikes upto 70-100ms, when bandwidth usage spiked.

My connection is around 47mbps, upload is ~15mbps, with a small bandwidth limit in effect to keep latency decent. But, with more bandwidth, I imagine it would work better at higher frame rates.

Agree with comments about motion fluidity, I don't seem to notice visual artifacts (at least, haven't seen any with an official FSR3 implementation yet), and I much prefer the smoother framerate. I guess I'll have another look when the latest Starfield version comes out of beta.

Would be nice if frame gen could just be easily enabled in all games!

Last edited:
Agree though, give me motion fluidity and smoothness/clarity over latency any day, for example, cp 2077 with frame gen and dlss is a much more enjoyable experience over just dlss/native.
That, I would say, depends on what you're doing and on the person. Example CP2077 - playing in the city as a shooting spec mostly, 0 issues, FG works great, higher fluidity helps. Switching to pure melee class and suddenly I have to take breaks now and then as the increased latency with everything right up my face cause brain to protest. Switching FG off and it's all fine again, even though less FPS. Must be something to do with the latency after all. Also, dropping details to be above base 60FPS all the time and I can switch on FG without these issues - again pointing at the latency problems with FPS spikes in PT. I am sure there are more games where it makes a difference like that, but latency matters - not just because of FG, but even things like your mouse/controller or keyboard introducing bad latency can cause issues. I suspect it's also less of a problem when LCD panel itself lags a bit more (like with many VA screens), but I use OLED so latency of the panel is really low and so it's easier to notice spikes in frames or increased bluriness of the scene with FG on.

That, I would say, depends on what you're doing and on the person. Example CP2077 - playing in the city as a shooting spec mostly, 0 issues, FG works great, higher fluidity helps. Switching to pure melee class and suddenly I have to take breaks now and then as the increased latency with everything right up my face cause brain to protest. Switching FG off and it's all fine again, even though less FPS. Must be something to do with the latency after all. Also, dropping details to be above base 60FPS all the time and I can switch on FG without these issues - again pointing at the latency problems with FPS spikes in PT. I am sure there are more games where it makes a difference like that, but latency matters - not just because of FG, but even things like your mouse/controller or keyboard introducing bad latency can cause issues. I suspect it's also less of a problem when LCD panel itself lags a bit more (like with many VA screens), but I use OLED so latency of the panel is really low and so it's easier to notice spikes in frames or increased bluriness of the scene with FG on.

It all comes down to just how much latency we're talking about i.e. 60+ms, no thanks. I could tolerate 50ms but ideally would want 35/40ms when factoring in aw 2 and cp 2077 titles, FG and so on. Generally 10-20ms and that is plenty good for me but as you mentioned, depends on the game you're playing.

It all comes down to just how much latency we're talking about i.e. 60+ms, no thanks. I could tolerate 50ms but ideally would want 35/40ms when factoring in aw 2 and cp 2077 titles, FG and so on. Generally 10-20ms and that is plenty good for me but as you mentioned, depends on the game you're playing.
Definitely! The video shown talked about some peripheral introducing a large latency as well to controls, more than the whole PC of mine has with FG and PT in CP2077. Good thing I stick to tried and tested mice for example. KB I can take, it's not that crucial, but mouse used for aiming is very crucial. I suspect someone people blame game or FG or anything else in the engine where in reality it's their own mouse being an issue etc.

Back
Top Bottom