Free alternative to Team Viewer

For some unknown reason, TV seems to think I am using it for commercial use when I only connect to my PC from my phone and it times out after a few seconds. Very annoying if I need to download something when I am away from my PC. There appears to be no way to contact them about this so I finally removed it today. Can anyone suggest a different free solution to this issue? I used GTA in an old job I had before but I think you have to pay for this.

Soldato
these come to mind

also depeneds on your personal technical expirence.
there are a number of self hosted options

Last edited:
Caporegime
Had the same issue, yes I use it regularly but it wasn't for commercial reasons. Switched to AnyDesk which (years later) also thought that but they seemed to have backed off now. Useful thing about AD is the portable version works a treat.

Soldato
I have been after something to access my home media server while i am out. I dont really want to mess about with static ip etc (No-IP etc) but would just like something that is nice and simple, can open on my laptop/pc and it will connect to my media server to browse/update content etc. Would any of these be suitable for this use?

Soldato
I have been after something to access my home media server while i am out. I dont really want to mess about with static ip etc (No-IP etc) but would just like something that is nice and simple, can open on my laptop/pc and it will connect to my media server to browse/update content etc. Would any of these be suitable for this use?
a vpn would be Better.
but Anydesktop i might start you on if you just want to remote control with out to much fuss from anyware, with a low tech overhead.
if you want the laptop to download media then maybe look at one of these :
for a less hassel vpn option

Soldato

The instructions on the above link aren't quite right. I had to do this recently and you have to fill in this form (also linked to in the above article). TeamViewer then email you back, asking you to complete this PDF form and return it back to them. A day or so later they email you back to confirm your ID has now been returned to normal use.

In total the process should take the best part of a week, as you're mostly waiting for replies. I can see why they do it, but it's overly complicated in my opinion.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom