Free Usenet

Associate
Mikol said:
Damn - I really want to sign upto newshosting, but I don't have a credit card, nor do I intend to get one in the immediate future :(

Anyone know if it's possible to use Paypal? :/ I only want to sign upto the $19.95 / Single month 70+ package.

I'm on Thundernews, I paid 63.99 for 6 months totally unlimited access through paypal. And it is truly unlimited.

Permabanned
They are ok, i have a 10meg line and during the night it maxs it out but it goes very slow during the day sometimes. I think the speed issues are more to do with NTL, I have recommended a few of friends to use it and no one has complained

Last edited:

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
chesterstu said:
They are ok, i have a 10meg line and during the night it maxs it out but it goes very slow during the day sometimes. I think the speed issues are more to do with NTL, U have recommended a few of friends to use it and no one has complained

They offer a 3 day test account which I've just sent request to them for. Thanks.

Soldato
Mikol said:
How good are they compared to Newshosting though? Are they any good?

Thundernews is part of newshosting. Newshosting is a re-seller.

Look here for more info.

Note about resellers: Newshosting uses separate servers for almost all its resellers, with roughly 20% less retention. Completion and speed seem about the same, but don't expect the same retention if you buy through a reseller.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Cheers Hyper. I've just received the login details from Thundernews. They're damn quick, I only sent the resut through a minute ago and James replied shortly after.

kbc

kbc

Associate
Never heard of Thundernews... didn't know they were resellers of Newshosting. I expect them to be fast as my Newshosting account is pretty swift. :)

Their 6 month Unlimited accounts work out to be £13 more than that of Newshosting however if my maths is correct.

Permabanned
My Nildram account (they use Giganews) gives me exceptional retention. I've got 70+ days old articles. Shame its slowed to 60KBps :(. I'll use this free one for new stuff for now.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
OK - I've been using thundernews to download a couple of items I needed. Speeds have been constant at ~1.2MB/s so in effect almost maxing out my line.

I was initially on a 3day / 1GB trial, however, for some reason newsleecher has kept on going and I've in a sense abused this at 9GB. My hard drive is rapidly being eaten up. So I think I can safely say it will be worth the fee.

Signing up! Cheers for the recommendation.

Man of Honour
Easynews is easily the best for the novice.
Easynews has a front end direct on the internet and an absolutely amazing search engine.

Here are four main pics of Easynews -

Main Members Page

Looking into a newsgroup

The amazing Global Search

Zipmanager where you can put all your files into one easy place

HOWEVER - Easynews costs £5 for 20 gig download but in four years I've never seen an incomplete post.

Two weeks ago I decided to try another service and I eventually chose Newshosting at a one off payment cost of £80 for a year.
Using a Usenet search engine I've been with for four years called Binnews and a wonderful little search engine tool called NBUFF I am able to search for anything and it puts all the headers direct into Newsbin PROOF

Unlimited, full speed download and all for a cost of £1.80 a week.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
ferret face said:
This free Usenet doesn't work, so don't waste your time

Ferret

and it took you nine days since the OP? Yes, you're quite right though, it's bad but then you get what you pay for, or not in this case.

Good post DMPOOLE. I'm currently using thundernews and it's been great. If I do have an incomplete which is rare, par's to the rescue! Legendary little things them. I may try newshosting next time if for some reason I become unhappy with TN service :)

I like the look of Zipmanager - how does that work exactly?

Man of Honour
Mikol said:
I like the look of Zipmanager - how does that work exactly?

ZIPMANAGER is a part of Easynews and not Newshosting.
You have 10 x 2 gig ZIP files that you can put your files into and download them all at once.
Easynews have made it very simple for the novice who doesn't want to use a Newsreader.

Back
Top Bottom