FreeNAS - THE MOST COOLEST *UNIX THING EVER

Soldato
wow just wow.....

Free NAS is amazing, testing it on an old dell optiplex tonight. ITs the nuts, upnp streaming to my ps3, network shares all sorted.

now gotta setup torrents and try get sabnzbd wokring in it.

Seriously totally blown away by how easy it is.... :)

Soldato
Im currently setting up a freenas box as I type, setting up software raid 5 and waiting for it building anyone had any experience with software raid on freenas is it reliable ?

Associate
Theres different kinds of RAID but its either for speed or fault tolerance. So if you have 2 disks with exactly the same info on both, one disk craps out then you still have the data. Just google RAID basics if you want to know the details.

Anyway I may have to stick freeNAS on an old comp I have lying about to try this out, Im sick of juggling files about between PCs every time I want to watch or burn something.

Soldato
I have never bothered with it. Whats the advantage of RAID?

I setup raid 5 with 3 drives for fault tolerance so if 1 drive dies I can replace it with a new one without loss of data, only downside is you lose some disk space.

Heres a vid if you ever want to set it up -

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ok, had a little problem with freeNAS built in bittorrent support. Think I have found the problem though!!

I had mounted my drive, but in my haste I seem to have cocked it up.

/mnt only has a size of 380mb, I have a file /mnt/test/ which is 100GB. Dunno how I set it up like this.

Anyway I created mnt/torrent_download - to store my torrents, yes you guess it my torrent will only download 380mb lol.

Then I fudged the permissions and it wont download at all now, gonna re-format it and start again.

I sort of know what i'm doing now at least :p

ty for the vid chaos, i'll look at raid eventually, I need to get sabnzbd working first

Associate
Im currently setting up a freenas box as I type, setting up software raid 5 and waiting for it building anyone had any experience with software raid on freenas is it reliable ?

It was the most unreliable method i've ever had the misfortune to use...

That was 4 years ago, i'd hope that it's come a long long way since then in terms of reliability, instead of focussing on new features which was all it seemed to do back then.

Associate
/mnt only has a size of 380mb, I have a file /mnt/test/ which is 100GB. Dunno how I set it up like this.

Anyway I created mnt/torrent_download - to store my torrents, yes you guess it my torrent will only download 380mb lol.

/mnt is on your root filesystem, which is obviously 380meg as the footprint is quite small, if you created a directory in /mnt and just used it then it will only have 380meg of storage.

The /mnt/test is a mounted partition/disk and so is giving you 100GB if you don't want it at /mnt/test then change the mount point to somthing more sensible.

Soldato
OP
/mnt is on your root filesystem, which is obviously 380meg as the footprint is quite small, if you created a directory in /mnt and just used it then it will only have 380meg of storage.

The /mnt/test is a mounted partition/disk and so is giving you 100GB if you don't want it at /mnt/test then change the mount point to somthing more sensible.

but you still have to have it within /mnt/ ?

am I creating directories in the root folder?

should it be in /home/username/test? or is this only in linux?

abit confused now.

Soldato
It was the most unreliable method i've ever had the misfortune to use...

That was 4 years ago, i'd hope that it's come a long long way since then in terms of reliability, instead of focussing on new features which was all it seemed to do back then.

Well its all set up and running now so ill see how it goes :)

Associate
but you still have to have it within /mnt/ ?

am I creating directories in the root folder?

should it be in /home/username/test? or is this only in linux?

abit confused now.

You can mount disks and partitions anywhere you like, convention dictates you put them in /mnt but it really doesn't matter.

When mounting you create a directory to mount into, otherwise it's just a normal directory.

Associate
I have used freeNAS before and plan to install it again soon. It's brilliant! Really helps keep things in one place and not scattered around on other machines. If any of you have a large music collection consider enabling DAAP if it's available. It will allow you to share your music in iTunes, banshee, amarok, rythmbox etc.

Back
Top Bottom