fresh install on samsung netbook NC10

Soldato
Ok Since XP is no longer supported and I don't want to pay 90 quid for win 7 I think I'll convert it to linux.

Looking forward to it as I haven't touched the nc10 in a couple of years.

Is there any netbook versions available anyone else converted a netbook for linux?

Specs below

Processor Intel® ATOM™ Processor N270 (1.60GHz, 533MHz, 512KB)
Main Chipset Intel 945GSE + ICH7M
System Memory 1GB (DDR2/1GB x 1)
Memory Slot 1 x SODIMM
Display LCD 10.2" WSVGA (1024 x 600) Non-Gloss, LED Back light
Graphic Memory Shared Memory (Int. Grahpic)
Graphic Processor Intel GMA 950 (Int. Graphic)
Sound HD (High Definition) Audio
Sound Effect Mic Noise Suppression

Speaker 3W Stereo Speaker (1.5W x 2)
Integrated Camera 1.3MP Web Camera
HDD 160GB (5,400rpm S-ATA)

Wired Ethernet LAN 10/100 LAN
Wireless LAN Atheros 802.11b/g

Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

I/O Port

VGA Yes
Headphone-out
Mic-in Yes
Internal MIC Yes
USB 3 x USB 2.0
Multi Card Slot 3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, MMC)
RJ45 (LAN) Yes

DC-In (Power Port) Yes
Input Device
Keyboard 83 Key (Silver Nano Anti-Bacteria Keyboard)
EZ BLU Keys Fn + F7 (SAMSUNG Magic Doctor)
Fn + F8 (Easy SpeedUp Manager)
Touch Pad, Touch Screen Touch Pad (Scroll Scope, Flat Type)
Security

Security BIOS Boot Up Password
HDD Password

Power

AC Adapter 40 Watts
Battery 6 Cell
Physical Specification
Dimension (WxDxH) 261.0 x 185.5 x 30.3mm
weight 1.19Kg (3 Cell)/1.33Kg (6 Cell)

Soldato
More Linux geeks will probably chime on shortly and advise of the lighter weight OS's available but I used to run Plain old Ubuntu on my netbook and it was fine.
(I was using an SSD and 2GB RAM though)

Associate
Perfect timing! My Aspire One needs XP replacing and since it only browses and not much else a lightweight version sounds good. One thing occasionally I might need to get into the office when away, what's RDP like on Lubuntu?

Associate
Perfect timing! My Aspire One needs XP replacing and since it only browses and not much else a lightweight version sounds good. One thing occasionally I might need to get into the office when away, what's RDP like on Lubuntu?

Much the same on most Linux desktops it depends on the software you use. I tend to use KRDC because I find its layout quite easy and the fact it does both VNC and RDP well.

Soldato
OP
Welcome to the linux land.

My recomendations are Lubuntu (Lightweight Ubuntu), Xubuntu (Another lightweight Ubuntu although heavier), Crunchbang OS (Lightweight but a lot less beginner friendly) and Bodhi.

I would say your best bet is make a couple of live usb installs using USB Univeral Installer and try a couple out. One of the great things about linux is you can try before you make the plunge and install.

thanks for this great advice Korgtronix brilliant.

Did a live install of Ubuntu full version 12.04 and it is amazing so much better than my pervious visit 5-6 years ago. Webcam works, wifi works it just looks great. Will now try the lighter versions.

I suppose I can wipe the HDD and just install after?

Don't want a dual boot with xp really.

Associate
thanks for this great advice Korgtronix brilliant.

Did a live install of Ubuntu full version 12.04 and it is amazing so much better than my pervious visit 5-6 years ago. Webcam works, wifi works it just looks great. Will now try the lighter versions.

I suppose I can wipe the HDD and just install after?

Don't want a dual boot with xp really.

You should be able to install straight from the live USB for 12.04. On the desktop there should an 'Install Ubuntu' which will guide you through the setup process.

Soldato
OP
I was running the live version from USB and told it to check for updates.

I think I broke it :(

It doesn't work anymore guess if anyone else is trying it out don't update it or allow more than 1gb space (it ran out of space doing the updates.)

Soldato
OP
I went with Mint for me it worked well and is very clear even played my apple MP4s that I've burned from blu ray (impressive for a netbook)

Everything worked out of the box the only tweaks not a huge problem but no matter which UK keyboard I choose from the list the caps lock doesn't seem to work with the numbers it works fine with the letters.

Thanks for all the replies only using it for e-mail and browsing so it works great.

Associate
I'm in the same camp as you. I've booted Ubuntu and Xubuntu 14.04 off a USB stick, and will go with Xubuntu as it feels a little snappier (not a huge amount in it, and Ubuntu was perfectly usable).

Back
Top Bottom