Fresh Windows install with CPU upgrade

Associate
I'm looking for advice and safe practices for doing a fresh windows install when I install my new motherboard and CPU
I'm switching from an i7-8700k to a Ryzen 5 7600 so I think it'll be best to do a fresh windows install to be safe

What's the best way to do this step by step?
I do have a windows USB drive ready but I'm unsure about a few things
I'm assuming my C drive will have to be backed up first, then only connect my C drive to make it easier

Then I'm unsure if I the first things I should do is to go to BIOS to check temps, then go straight to boot to my USB drive to reinstall windows, or should I boot to windows normally after BIOS to possibly make sure the windows activation key transfers correctly
I'm also unsure about uninstalling anything on the C drive before switching mobos, but I assume I won't need to worry since windows will wipe my C drive anyway

If anyone has any tips or advise that'd be awesome!
I know I can check my key but I'm unsure how that would work if I re-enter it on my new system, if it will overwrite the old one
It's obviously not a huge deal if I do have to get another windows key but I'd obviously prefer to be safe and avoid that and do everything properly

Windows 10
ASUS Prime Z370-P -> MSI B650 Tomahawk WiFI
Intel i7-8700k -> Ryzen 5 7600

Associate
I'm looking for advice and safe practices for doing a fresh windows install when I install my new motherboard and CPU
I'm switching from an i7-8700k to a Ryzen 5 7600 so I think it'll be best to do a fresh windows install to be safe

What's the best way to do this step by step?
I do have a windows USB drive ready but I'm unsure about a few things
I'm assuming my C drive will have to be backed up first, then only connect my C drive to make it easier

Then I'm unsure if I the first things I should do is to go to BIOS to check temps, then go straight to boot to my USB drive to reinstall windows, or should I boot to windows normally after BIOS to possibly make sure the windows activation key transfers correctly
I'm also unsure about uninstalling anything on the C drive before switching mobos, but I assume I won't need to worry since windows will wipe my C drive anyway

If anyone has any tips or advise that'd be awesome!
I know I can check my key but I'm unsure how that would work if I re-enter it on my new system, if it will overwrite the old one
It's obviously not a huge deal if I do have to get another windows key but I'd obviously prefer to be safe and avoid that and do everything properly

Windows 10
ASUS Prime Z370-P -> MSI B650 Tomahawk WiFI
Intel i7-8700k -> Ryzen 5 7600
what are you using for your 'c' drive? Seeing as your mobo/cpu is4/5 years old, your drive is probably old too? I'd probably go all in now and get a 2tb m.2 for your drive...fresh install on a new fast m.2 You can then add your existing drive, transfer files/documents you want, then wipe it and use it as a storage drive, or is it a new drive?

Back
Top Bottom