Fridge Problem - Ice forming at back

Associate
OP
Are you getting any ice on the coil btw? (one on the back of the fridge) if its low on gas the coil will ice up and this could also cause excess ice inside I guess.

I haven't checked yet. It's integrated so a bit of a pain to get out but i was planning on having a look when i get a minute. Thanks for the tip.

Soldato
This is what i'm thinking at the moment. If it wasn't integrated it wouldn't be such a faff. Did the dishwasher last year which was a bit of a pain. Now the washing machine looks like it's on it's way out aswell! Great :mad::D
Ours wasn't integrated but considering we had to take the door off a cupboard and take a kitchen drawer out to get the old fridge out, it might well have been integrated. :D

Associate
Clear ice at the back of the fridge

I have Bosch fridge freezer which has separate controls, compressor for each half, can even even switch off fridge & leave freezer running if I'm away.
I wish our Zanussi DF 62/26 was like that!

We've lived with the problem of clear ice at the back of the fridge for a few years now but haven't established the cause yet. We have checked the door seals, drain hole etc. and we have no reason to suspect that the thermostat is faulty although we never have to have it up very high even in the summer. The 'stat has been replaced once, some years ago, but for a different problem.

In all other respects, the fridge and freezer are working fine so there appears to be no reason to replace it unless it is very energy inefficient. Perhaps I'll plug it into a power meter to monitor its electricity usage.

My wife thinks the fridge is just too full especially with jars. We do try to use things up and avoid buying them again but people keep giving us chutneys, pickles and preserves! My in-laws give us any bottles of sauce they've tried but didn't like.

One thing that only occurred to me today is that we have an ongoing subsidence problem with the house and the floor is not level as a result. I put a spirit-level on the top of the fridge a few minutes ago and it appeared to be tilting forward but I've tried again just now and it's almost perfectly level! I'll do some more scientific checks over time with a better spirit-level just to be sure.

Associate
Too many bottles and jars in the fridge

Our wine fridge does this occasionally - usually once a year or so we'll remove all the wine and let it defrost. Any large chunks of ice are easily chipped away.
That sounds like a fun weekend ‘disposing’ of the contents of the wine fridge!

It could be the same problem that we have with too much glassware in the fridge or poor air circulation because its so full.

Soldato
I thought the water buildup in fridges was normal as both of mine have done this. Also got a bit of ice at the back of the current one.

Will buy a decent one when this packs in. I wanted to fit laminate flooring in my kitchen but with having to mop up water constantly i could see the floor getting ruined.

Permabanned
It depends on the type of fridge, an automatic defrost fridge will have water and ice alternating on the back of it.

The water runs down through the fridge into a tray on top of the compressor, the heat evaporates the water, the ere should be no water on the floor.

Associate
Shut that door!

Theres no problem with the fridge. The more you open the door, the more dirty air gets in that causes condensation.

Open your fridge less ;)
In our case, the fridge isn't opened that much and we take care not to leave the door open for more than a few seconds at a time. We have a small kitchen but I wouldn't say that there is a lot of moisture in the air most of the time apart from when cooking. By keeping the door closed as much as possible and getting fresh ingredients out before we start cooking, we restrict the ingress of moist air to a minimum.

It's possible that there isn't enough airflow at the back of the unit but I would expect that to manifest itself in other ways like needing to have the thermostat set higher and having the motor running more frequently. Also, the ice problem has only been happening in recent years but the fridge has been in the same location and environment since it was first installed.

Associate
Is your fridge running?

It runs normally only operating the motor periodically.

The ice forms near the internal heat-exchanger and continues down to the drip chute and can be 10 to 15 centimetres wide at the top narrowing towards the bottom in a standard icicle shape.

I can't get behind the internal heat-exchanger to see where it actually starts forming which might give a clue as to why.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is happening with mine too (Husky mini fridge). It's not really a problem apart from the fact it freezes anything I put on the back shelf. :p

Back
Top Bottom