• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

From 9700K to where?

zer

zer

Associate
Hi from Greece! I am currently considering upgrading a 9700K based system, with 16GB 3600 DDR4 and a 3070. Question is to where?

I5 14600K?
I7 14700K?
7800X3D?

System is used exclusively for gaming, 1080p currently...

Please keep in mind i 'd like to keep RAM [ if it doesnt bottleneck too much...] and i will DEFINETELLY keep 3070 due to budget restrictions...

Any other ideas i havent consider?
Many thanks!!!

zer

zer

Associate
OP
Well, TLOU at a mixture of medium-high settings dips very often below 60, eveb below 55...Hogwarts stutters like crazy everywhere, so i unistalled...And i dont even dare to buy Alan Wake...
Isn't 3070 at least partially bottlenecked from 9700K? Do you believe performace increase will be insignificant?
Thanks!

Man of Honour
I'm running a 14700K w/ 3070 and to be honest the setup feels a bit unbalanced (though I do more than gaming with the system) - but everything I do runs fine on the 3070 really so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade it but the CPU is definitely outclassing the GPU - however games are just getting to the point where having more than 6 cores / 12 threads (ignore e cores) is useful so personally I'd lean towards either the 14700K or 7800x3D.

7800x3D potentially has a future upgrade path, though not something I'd bet on personally, while LGA1700 is almost certainly not going to see any new major updates, it is a very strong gaming CPU - but those benefits are mostly at 1080p or below - at 1440p or above with high/ultra settings it is within 2-4% of the Intel 14th gen CPUs, where it falls down is non-gaming tasks where it can be 30, even 40%, slower than CPUs it can match or beat in gaming.

9700K shouldn't be a massive bottleneck on the 3070, though it will be a bit - more because newer games are starting to move beyond where 8 threads is enough. I had a 4820K and then a highly clocked Xeon 1650 V2 with my 3070 before upgrading to the 14700K and it is surprising how well they held up, though in CPU limited scenarios they could hold the GPU back by approx. 20% and the 4820K was definitely starting to struggle to stay smooth in some games due to the limitations of 4 core / 8 threads.

Hogwarts Legacy plays much better on 32GB RAM... much better. Though the 3070 doesn't really have the VRAM to run ray tracing in the game smoothly but it isn't a big loss as ray tracing isn't very well implemented anyhow.

Associate
Hogwarts is a funny one (really fun game though, in my opinion & good-looking too).
1) It looks worse with Ray-Tracing on, as well as destroying performance.
2) Depsite what anyone will tell you & how other games operate, it runs smoothest with V-Sync turned ON IN GAME
3) It is fairly CPU limited in busy areas, but it's not highly threaded. It's more about single-core performance & cache.
4) It does better with 32GB system RAM than 16GB system RAM
5) It does need more than 8GB VRAM in many situations - yes, you can get good performance on 8GB cards, but that's because it's drastically auto-reducing texture resolution. It becomes very obvious. That might not apply so much to lower texture settings and display resolutions, however.

So a CPU upgrade on it's own might help, but no gaurantees.
And the 3070 is going to be hitting the VRam limit more & more often in future.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hogwarts is a funny one (really fun game though, in my opinion & good-looking too).
2) Depsite what anyone will tell you & how other games operate, it runs smoothest with V-Sync turned ON IN GAME
3) It is fairly CPU limited in busy areas, but it's not highly threaded. It's more about single-core performance & cache.
5) It does need more than 8GB VRAM in many situations - yes, you can get good performance on 8GB cards, but that's because it's drastically auto-reducing texture resolution. It becomes very obvious. That might not apply so much to lower texture settings and display resolutions, however.

The V-Sync thing depends a lot on configuration, something quite odd going on there.

I've seen it easily wanting to use 15GB VRAM on settings my 3070 could otherwise easily handle :(

It plays incredibly well on my 14700K though - if I drop to medium settings at 1080p it will be a smooth ~190FPS in Hogsmeade and 240+ FPS elsewhere on a 3070 even.

Soldato
Hi from Greece! I am currently considering upgrading a 9700K based system, with 16GB 3600 DDR4 and a 3070. Question is to where?

I5 14600K?
I7 14700K?
7800X3D?

System is used exclusively for gaming, 1080p currently...
If the system is exclusively for gaming and as you're in that lovely (often) hot country I would most strongly recommend you get the 7800X3D.

You'll need to get new RAM, though lower speed DDR5 is relatively cheap now and X3D chips don't need fast RAM to perform optimally like some of the other AMD CPU's

Last edited:
Soldato

Hogwarts has the highest RAM usage I have ever seen, for a game. Its used > 27GB of RAM on my PC, don’t know about VRAM usage as I never look. It was still very smooth though, think the later patches dropped the RAM usage but I would still want 32GB of RAM for that game.

Associate
The V-Sync thing depends a lot on configuration, something quite odd going on there.

I've seen it easily wanting to use 15GB VRAM on settings my 3070 could otherwise easily handle :(

It plays incredibly well on my 14700K though - if I drop to medium settings at 1080p it will be a smooth ~190FPS in Hogsmeade and 240+ FPS elsewhere on a 3070 even.
I should say I have a 60hz 4k Freesync monitor. Nevertheless...
I played it when I had a 4070ti - enabling frame gen turned it into a screen-tearing stutterfest, where turning off frame gen & enabling in-game v-sync gave me totally smooth performance.
I didn't see the same in Darktide - in that game, turning on frame gen, with no frame-rate limiter resulted in very smooth performance.
So it could be somewhat specific my particular cirumstances, but definitely worth experimenting with.

No surprise it runs great on 14700k - what wouldn't ?
I imagine 7xxx3D/ 5800x3D/ 13xxxK/ 14xxxK are all going to be good on high CPU demanding games, these are kind of top-tier gaming CPUs.
I doubt your 14700k will be a limiting factor on any game (or non-game application for that matter) for the for-seeable future.

Last edited:
Associate
Hogwarts has the highest RAM usage I have ever seen, for a game. Its used > 27GB of RAM on my PC, don’t know about VRAM usage as I never look. It was still very smooth though, think the later patches dropped the RAM usage but I would still want 32GB of RAM for that game.
Another nice thing about having lots of system RAM is that, if you're like me & you alt+tab out of games quite often to do other stuff, you'll notice it's a fairly instant process, the PC isn''t troubled by it. System RAM helps there.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I should say I have a 60hz 4k Freesync monitor. Nevertheless...
I played it when I had a 4070ti - enabling frame gen turned it into a screen-tearing stutterfest, where turning off frame gen & enabling in-game v-sync gave me totally smooth performance.
I didn't see the same in Darktide - in that game, turning on frame gen, with no frame-rate limiter resulted in very smooth performance.
So it could be somewhat specific to my system, but definitely worth experimenting with.

I mean there is something odd going on with the game and V-Sync.

I played a lot of it on my 10870H w/ 3070 laptop and V-Sync on was noticeably better both on a 240Hz display with no adaptive sync and a 60Hz FreeSync/G-Sync compatible display and turning it off was stuttery, whereas on my 14700K w/ 3070 and 144Hz G-Sync display it is perfectly smooth with V-Sync on or off.

Last edited:
Associate
I mean there is something odd going on with the game and V-Sync.

I played a lot of it on my 10870H w/ 3070 laptop and V-Sync on was noticeably better both on a 240Hz display with no adaptive sync and a 60Hz FreeSync/G-Sync compatible display and turning it off was stuttery, whereas on my 14700K w/ 3070 and 144Hz G-Sync display it is perfectly smooth with V-Sync on or off.
Interesting. Maybe it's specific to 60hz monitors. I know that once I set it V-Sync on, I was very happy with how it ran & so I stopped thinking about it & got on with playing the game. I had some colour-blind issues with it, but was all OK once I got past that b****d 3 wands mission

zer

zer

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the answers guys, i appreciate it! I learned a lot of things
So besides CPU and Mobo, Ram is gonna change as well. Something like DDR5 6000 CL32 is ok?
I t seems that most of you prefer 7800X3d than i5 14600K, am i correct?
I'm afraid i7 14700K, now with the RAM change , is out of my budget....:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom