front fan replacement? (one has started making a noise)

Soldato
Hey guys,

i have 2 front fans (120mm) and the bottom one had started making a flicking noise so i assume the bearings are on their way out.
This is an ocuk build from 3ish years ago (maybe one or 2 more, time flies!)

so i assume i would want to replace both at the same time?
Any suggestions?
Good air flow and low noise, i don't need any fancy lights.
Ocuk built it so i don't know how long the cables need to be (are they all standard?)
I'll also need to find where they plug in, but i'm sure i'll manage!

cheers

Associate
nope, afraid not - i had a look earlier as i have a spare 140mm for some reason.

If it helps its an obsidian 450D case and a gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI MB

@aardvark - I have the same case at the moment (although I am giving my old build to a friend, in the process of a new build). The Corsair website states that the included front fans are 140mm x2 or that you can fit x2 120mm in there.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...eries™-450D-Mid-Tower-PC-Case/p/CC-9011049-WW

I had the same issues with the fans that came with my 450D, I don't think they are up to much. I've already replaced the rear fan with a BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 and have a couple ready to replace the front fans as well.

HTH :)

Soldato
OP
@aardvark - I have the same case at the moment (although I am giving my old build to a friend, in the process of a new build). The Corsair website states that the included front fans are 140mm x2 or that you can fit x2 120mm in there.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-450D-Mid-Tower-PC-Case/p/CC-9011049-WW

I had the same issues with the fans that came with my 450D, I don't think they are up to much. I've already replaced the rear fan with a BeQuiet Silent Wings 2 and have a couple ready to replace the front fans as well.

hmm, the 140mm fan i had wasn't going to fit but it was circular one so maybe it was the shape - i will have to double check and remeasure the front fans.
I should really have thought this through better!
thanks

edit: in fact come to think of it i did think the rear fan was smaller than the front ones but it didn't really click that the rear will be a 120mm one.
so i guess the new question is:
recommended me a couple of 140mm fans with a 4-pin plug!
what are the akasa viper fans like anyone? i think i've had them in the past but its been so long since i had to buy a fan!

Last edited:
Associate
recommended me a couple of 140mm fans with a 4-pin plug!

Assuming you want quiet and non-RGB, then:

IMG-20181217-144611.jpg

Or Silent Wings 3. Failing that, any Noctua PWM fan, 140mm.

Associate
@aardvark You will be able to use any PWM fan, but if you go for the Silent Wings, I found that I had to mount mine with the fixings from the inside -> out rather than outside -> inside.

They are great fans, don't think you will be disappointed if you get them.

Soldato
OP
thanks tango.
they are a bit pricey for me though - i may go with the Noctua NF-P14s Redux ones instead.
i was happy with the ones that came with the case so these look good enough for me.

Associate

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Obsidian-Series™-450D-Mid-Tower-PC-Case/p/CC-9011049-WW

The rear fan on my 450D was making a noise from new. And a couple of months after one of the front fans started to make grinding noises also.

So yes Corsair put really cheap fans in their 450D cases at the time from what I experienced also.

Soldato
damn, out of stock.

the noise is coming and going so i may wait until these come back in stock as the price is so good.

thanks for the heads up

Yeah, I ended up buying 2 singles. In my meshify C, very good fans, very quiet when browsing, but easily strong enough to overcome a significant filter and blow plenty of air when needed.

Associate
I have 2 Corsair AF120s intakes that make a racket over 40% - i thought the reviews were decent but im not that impressed - do you think silent wings > Corsair?? (ps i cant do Noctua brown!! :/ )

Soldato
I have 2 Corsair AF120s intakes that make a racket over 40% - i thought the reviews were decent but im not that impressed - do you think silent wings > Corsair?? (ps i cant do Noctua brown!! :/ )
Silent Wings 3 high speed are much better than AF120.
What case do you have?

Back
Top Bottom