FTTC cancelled, FFTC no longer avail, £6K FTTP install

Associate
I have a real pain in the arse on my hands.

I had FTTC that was working up until this morning. It turns out someone has miskeyed a cancellation on the line and it is now terminated. Zen said they could replace the order but when they tried to they found my exchange was no longer allowing FTTC and it had to be FTTP.

Unfortunately, the reason I don't have FTTP is due to costs that started at ~£12K to install and ended up near £7K after a re-survey.

Has anyone else been in this situation? Any idea on what I can do? I now can't order any services and am stuck. I can't see that Openreach would be allowed to create this scenario but I am struggling to see how I get this resolved through a provider or ofcom.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the replies. I will update with progress. As it stands Zen are dealing with the complaint but I have a "contact" at BT who is looking at it too, see what the actual deal is with this FTTP vs FTTPoD vs FTTC mess.

To the point about cancellation, it appears that someone ordered against the wrong address and it was cancelled but the cease was not stopped. I was away for a month and on return found the letter which is why I contacted Zen. When I spoke to them they said the cease was cancelled and all was OK. Three days later, well here we are...

Associate
OP
The fibre runs 150m from our home so requires a dig, etc. The FTTP quotes were for normal FTTP not on demand.

We can order it but have to pay, not quite sure how OR would get away with saying no FTTC but paying for FTTP to be installed is the only way to get internet.

Associate
OP
I have had 2 quotes, one that came to near 12K and that was with Sky who won't touch anything that goes over the 1K. The second was with BT which was 6K+VAT and then the contribution would be applied. However, that order failed for another reason that there is "no fibre service in the area". Basically an engineer screwed up and didn't take readings. So I could re-order with BT, but I would still need to find around 3-4K and it will take months to get service back.

I've emailed Mark too, thank you for the suggestion.

Associate
OP
Sorry been away for a bit.

So there has been progress, through complaints and some contacts at OR they granted an expedited FTTC activation, and I am now back online. So that is the good news. They are also looking at getting FTTP done but I feel this will end the same way as the rest with the ECCs being too high.

The bad news is that at some point, I am going to have to come off FTTC (and want to ofc) and I will still need to pay ECCs for FTTP. ISPreviews is looking into this, as the story is more about the stop sell and the ECCs. I also have some contacts at BT/OR who are also looking into what the options are.

Associate
OP
That is indeed the story and well told.

FTTC is back on, at quite an expedited pace considering. However, if I didn't contact ISPReview or my own contacts I think I would to this day still be getting a computer says no answer. I think Zen would have tried their best to get this solved on their own but they were told multiple times that there was no way to order.

On the FTTP front, I am letting Zen go through the motions knowing where it will end but for FTTP I now have a 3rd quote of £4K, so once that either gets approved by Zen (unlikely) or not (likely) then I will be going back to BT as they cover a larger amount due to subsidies.

Reactions: KIA
Back
Top Bottom