Fttp finally here, still want my landline.

Associate
I'm with EE on FTTC 30Mb/s and as from this morning can now upgrade to FTTP. EE are offering me 500Mb/s for £35 or 900Mb/s for £45. When asking about my landline, they said they couldn't offer a landline service, I would have to use BT. So does that mean I would have to switch to BT? Can't I have the 900Mb/s FTTP with EE and some how keep my landline service?

My partner's Mum wouldn't know how to use a mobile phone, so we still keep it for her.

Associate
OP
VOIP?
We have a sipgate "phoneline" which I put about £10 on a year as we mainly use mobiles for outgoing calls
They even allow you to migrate your landline to it

I like the idea of this, we mainly use mobiles too. Like I said in the OP it's mainly so my partners mother can ring us. I had a quick look on sipgate, but could only see the £30 a month option. How are you using yours like a PAYG?

Associate
OP
Cant you just get it all with BT ? I do, its about £50 a month including unlimited FTTP, landline and they upgraded the landline to full digital for free and gave me a new all digital phone set for free and i got upgraded to the faster speeds for £1 a month extra.

Been with BT, won't go back.

Associate
OP
Look for Sipgate Basic. You can do PAYG or they do unlimited calls for £10 a month but their call rates are so low you’d have be making an awful lot of calls to justify the unlimited option. On the PAYG you can do automated top ups when your balance drops so it’s totally hassle free - my grandparents in their 80’s used it with a Grandstream ATA connecting their existing phones for a few years and managed fine.

They also offer a Teams hosted PBX service which is more expensive - sounds like you’ve found that.

Will definitely try the PAYG first. I read the price at £1.18 p/min for landline calls but then understand it's actually 1.18p per minute.....

I've signed up, just waiting for the confirmation letter with my authorisation code before I can go any further.

The questions I have are regarding setting this up are on the hardware side. So I have a digital cordless phone. Do I need a VoIP phone when I am active? How would I connect it when up and running?

Can I forward calls to a or multiple mobile numbers?

Associate
OP
Have you considered that you're solving the problem the wrong way round? You don't need a landline for the mother in law to call your partner, she needs a mobile call package on her line to cover the calls to her daughters mobile. The added bonus being she has a much better chance of actually getting her when she rings, rather than just when she's at home.

No, she doesn't know how to function a mobile phone. I wish she did as it would solve the issue.

A VoIP in package is the best solution.

Associate
OP
Why would she need to ‘function’ a mobile phone? You add a call package that includes mobile minutes to you MIL’s land line, heck pay for it if that’s an issue, she just dials the mobile number from her landline. If you prefer going VoIP then just use a mobile app, it’s pointless having a number that can reach you anywhere on the planet with Wi-Fi and then just pushing it to your home. If you really have some strange affection for your cordless phone, the Cisco I mentioned earlier will allow you to do that.

Firstly, not sure why you are getting quite uppity about this and why I have to go into detail to make my reasons valid. My partner's mother's has mental issues and seriously ill, where she has been labelled EOL. She struggles with the phone as it is, but has memorised our landline number and doesn't require the area code. I am fully aware of call packages to include calls to mobiles. It isn't happening....simple. Hence why I am asking questions to help avoid changes to her day to day routine.

Back
Top Bottom