FTTP Questions

Associate
Hi
i'm just getting fttp fitted now and realised i won't be able to use network cables anymore.
what is a good wireless card to use?
i have 2 computers next to each other way away from the router and was hoping to use 1 'antenna' usb'd to both computers.
is this even possible?
would appreciate some help here.
thanks

Soldato
I would think FTTP would be a more compelling reason to have everything wired, it certainly was for me as I'd never get the full benefit of my connection otherwise.

Associate
even if it's a new provider that does not use OR and has their own ONT 90% of the time if you ask the engineer nicely they'll be fine installing it at the same location as your current entry point.

Associate
Or, if they're decent, they'll have the equipment and internal fibre on hand to be able to lay down an internal fibre line to where you want your modem (usually in 10m lengths, so if you need more, they can work that in, but usually let them know ahead of time so they have the stuff on hand). So even if your modem and router is fairly far away, it's usually possible to connect to that distance.

Soldato
Just looking into FTTP now as our street now has it. Is it not the same as a virgin cable modem, in that you put whatever device it comes with into "modem" mode or similar, and then plug that into the WAN port on a router? Or are you restricted to the device they supply?

Soldato
Wrong on both counts which is no bad thing. FTTP ends with an ONT box in your house. This connects to a router (yours or that of the provider) by a network cable. I’m not aware of any provider managing to restrict you to their router.

Caporegime
Probably worth closing this thread as the OP hasn't bothered to return to it and it risks spreading bad information

Soldato
Wrong on both counts which is no bad thing. FTTP ends with an ONT box in your house. This connects to a router (yours or that of the provider) by a network cable. I’m not aware of any provider managing to restrict you to their router.
I would say that would apply to most options, my FTTP comes straight into the Nokia router I have rather than an ONT box then into the router.

Associate
I would say that would apply to most options, my FTTP comes straight into the Nokia router I have rather than an ONT box then into the router.
i'd be interested in seeing a pic of this as the ONT is needed to convert the optical signal into copper for the internal network on standard home lans, not saying yours doesn't just i've never encountered this nor any FTTP installer offering this.

Soldato
i'd be interested in seeing a pic of this as the ONT is needed to convert the optical signal into copper for the internal network on standard home lans, not saying yours doesn't just i've never encountered this nor any FTTP installer offering this.

First pic is where fibre comes through the wall from the outside splice box and the second is the back of my router with the ONT built in.

0f489f43f05745fbd27794bb8bb9dc97.jpg
b7a13d8169d7fcd23c6927224623d030.jpg

Seems to work fine.

Soldato
First pic is where fibre comes through the wall from the outside splice box and the second is the back of my router with the ONT built in.

0f489f43f05745fbd27794bb8bb9dc97.jpg
b7a13d8169d7fcd23c6927224623d030.jpg

Seems to work fine.
See that's the kind of propriety device I had in mind when I asked my question above. Can you put that into "modem" mode or similar so you can use you own router.

Soldato
See that's the kind of propriety device I had in mind when I asked my question above. Can you put that into "modem" mode or similar so you can use you own router.
You might be able to, but my current ISP does not support using your own routers, so a lot of the options are all greyed out, though the manual for the router does suggest it has a bridge mode.

Soldato
I've just upgraded to GigaFast with Sky (get discounts through my employer)

Sky rep told me that the ONT box will go in the same place as my current connection, provided it has power, which is does as there's a quad socket

They've sent me a "conversion kit" to connect my existing router to the ONT, which is just a short Cat5e cable.

I'm hoping that they'll be able to use a longer cable I have as my router currently sits about 6m away from the entry point, in a central location to the rest of the house. I have a spare Cat7 cable.

Does anyone think using my own cable will be an issue?

Back
Top Bottom