FTTP on Demand - whos got it?

Permabanned
Drop me a trust message and I will be happy to share more other than they are one of the few partners for City Fibre.

Avoid the default City Fibre recommendation if you want a good service. The default build their model on the company being an expandable asset they can sell, whereas my company are happy to offer it as a core service with good support.

Soldato
Hmmmm odd... didn't know that you could get that package on FTTP.

Still... 80/20 on FTTC is better than Virgin... so 80/20 on FTTP is even better... if you want more speed, get the 330/30 package - don't ruin your internets with Virgin.

FTTC @ 80/20 = 5-10ms ping with a decent provider like BT/Zen
FTTP @ 80/20 or 330/30 = 1-2ms ping
Virgin @ any speed = 20-30ms ping

Your general browsing of the web is a lot of small files to form a website... browsing with a 80mbit connection on a 2ms ping will be much much faster than with an 800mbit connection with 20ms ping.

Yep you and @Caged are right about that, I've been peering in the VM thread and the speeds aren't too bad but the ping/quality monitors aren't as good as BT.

I was only thinking of switching long enough to qualify as a new customer to get a decent deal. Will phone them up and ask what they can do for me but I will be saying that VM is doing a better price, ignoring the faults in it.

Soldato
I just checked and BT say our exchange/cabinet are now offering FTTP on demand. It's a shame it's not readily accessible as I'd love it (if only to get rid of VM's ridiculous ping and jitter issues). Cerberus - linked above - say about £1,500 for install and then ~£70 a month. TBH I'd seriously consider it, as once it's installed you've got it for life. If it wasn't for my wife's family ties I'd move house for Gigaclear symmetric 1Gbps in a heartbeat... :o

Soldato
Hmmmm odd... didn't know that you could get that package on FTTP.

Still... 80/20 on FTTC is better than Virgin... so 80/20 on FTTP is even better... if you want more speed, get the 330/30 package - don't ruin your internets with Virgin.

FTTC @ 80/20 = 5-10ms ping with a decent provider like BT/Zen
FTTP @ 80/20 or 330/30 = 1-2ms ping
Virgin @ any speed = 20-30ms ping

Your general browsing of the web is a lot of small files to form a website... browsing with a 80mbit connection on a 2ms ping will be much much faster than with an 800mbit connection with 20ms ping.
This is so true. Even switching from your ISP DNS to a different DNS can speed up internet browsing because of the time it takes to resolve hosts. Google DNS has noticeably speed up my browsing.

TJM

TJM

Associate
I just checked and BT say our exchange/cabinet are now offering FTTP on demand. It's a shame it's not readily accessible as I'd love it (if only to get rid of VM's ridiculous ping and jitter issues). Cerberus - linked above - say about £1,500 for install and then ~£70 a month. TBH I'd seriously consider it, as once it's installed you've got it for life. If it wasn't for my wife's family ties I'd move house for Gigaclear symmetric 1Gbps in a heartbeat... :o
As pointed out over at Think Broadband, the monthly cost is undoubtedly a pricing error. They would be selling the service at a loss.

Soldato

No, all FTTPoD are monthly charge of £300+ vat. There is no way you getting it for around £70 a month as Openreach won't allow this. The isp are mistaken pricing in error.

Caporegime
FTTP is becoming more and more of a priority on my list of wants when I move, with the onset of UHD content I don't particularly enjoy waiting hours to download a film on an 80/20 connection and sometimes streaming said content will buffer although this could be down something else, it will also prove incredibly handy if I continue to work from home. Current prices though are something I'm not willing to stomach so hopefully our government gives Openreach a kick up the arse, I have no idea why we're behind countries like Romania.

Soldato
No, all FTTPoD are monthly charge of £300+ vat. There is no way you getting it for around £70 a month as Openreach won't allow this. The isp are mistaken pricing in error.

Not if they are making it back another way. The ISP can presumably charge whatever they want to the customer, within reason.

Soldato
80/20 is capable of streaming/downloading UHD content isn't it? I was watching The Grand Tour on Amazon prime and it didn't buffer. Granted that's FTTP but if you had FTTC at 80/20 it shouldn't matter unless its the network quality that's the problem.

Soldato
FTTP is becoming more and more of a priority on my list of wants when I move, with the onset of UHD content I don't particularly enjoy waiting hours to download a film on an 80/20 connection and sometimes streaming said content will buffer although this could be down something else, it will also prove incredibly handy if I continue to work from home. Current prices though are something I'm not willing to stomach so hopefully our government gives Openreach a kick up the arse, I have no idea why we're behind countries like Romania.

Completely ridiculous statement.

Just to be clear, Openreach should completely fund the cost of FTTP to every household in the UK?

Caporegime
Not if they are making it back another way. The ISP can presumably charge whatever they want to the customer, within reason.

How on earth are they making up a £200+ loss each month?

I think FTTPoD could have worked when the full install cost was paid by the customer but then the monthly rental was the same as normal FTTP, it just needed ISPs prepared to push it, and the price would have dropped over time. That sort of monthly spend just isn't worth it.

Soldato
How on earth are they making up a £200+ loss each month?

I think FTTPoD could have worked when the full install cost was paid by the customer but then the monthly rental was the same as normal FTTP, it just needed ISPs prepared to push it, and the price would have dropped over time. That sort of monthly spend just isn't worth it.

I agree but I wouldn't trust Cerberus Networks in the slightest. The way in which the are offering G.Fast for example is just ridiculous.

My point is that is the ISP cost to Openreach, not the ISP charge to the customer. I've no idea how they would do it for that price either.

Caporegime
Completely ridiculous statement.

Just to be clear, Openreach should completely fund the cost of FTTP to every household in the UK?

Nope, you seem to have made up that statement yourself as no where in my post have I said that.

Would you prefer most households just stay on copper lines then as eventually those speeds will feels as slow as dial up did.

Soldato
BT are to blame for real fibre in uk are far behind from the rest of Europe. But it's good for openreach to split from BT meaning that OR can do what they want. I think after 2020 we will seeing fast roll out of both FTTC G. FAST, FTTP and maybe much cheaper FTTPoD for residential customers.

Soldato
People are so misinformed that's the problem.

BT actually proposed an FTTP rollout a few years ago but this was turned down due to the amount of time it would take.The governement/Ofcom were after a quick fix.

Soldato
I thought BT are only interest in businesses not the residential side for FTTP? There are about 10% FTTP for businesses but 0% for residential. The same goes for FTTPoD for businesses. ISPs like zen, idnet, BT, plusnet are not interested for the residential side.

Back
Top Bottom