FTTP VS VIRGIN MEDIA

Associate
Hi all,

My contract is just coming up for renewal for Virgin, currently getting 650meg down and 40 meg up. Don't get me wrong the broadband is pretty good, but we have had City Fibre install FTTP here now 900meg.

Now I saw this a while ago on YouTube, so guy on City Fibre using Vodaphone as the provider was getting 900 meg down and upload service, however I've put my details into a few of the ISP that provide it and it offers me the 900meg down but only 100 - 120meg upload speeds??? what happened to the 900 meg both ways?
Is it worth changing to one of these FTTP providers of just squeeze Virgin to give me their 1gb service?

Also while I'm here is FTTP superior for lower latency in gaming than Virgin media?

Associate
OP
I'm just a bit miffed that the 900meg upload has dissappeared from these Fttp deals.

What does Fttp do any better that I will notice?
If it definitely gives better latency in games that would be a strong factor for changing over. What ISP would you recommend using on it for best gaming latency?

The virgin here is coaxial coming onto the house not fibre.

Associate
OP
By the way, a friend of mine is in a City Fibre area and the Zen checker only showed 100 Mbps upload. He spoke to them and placed an order and they said it would be the full 900. I imagine some of the ISPs systems haven't updated properly to distinguish the difference between Openreach FTTP and fibre with an alt net.

FWIW, VM customer service is particularly atrocious. There's pretty much daily complaints in the VM thread on here and various online sources of reviews have them as extremely poor. I know when I was with them their CS and even their sales guys are full of lies.

Use to have zen as my ISP back in the old day of 7meg adsl, then moved to an area that had 50meg virgin so was a no brainer

Associate
OP
Vodafone's FTTP every single day of the week, I'd suggest waiting for a deal as they come around a lot if there isn't one running already.
I'm paying £31/mo (940/940) with no increases for CPI.

And yes you tend to get much better latency with Vodafone's FTTP.

2q50fUG.png
Wow that looks awesome. I would jump on it at that price for that service. Maybe I need to talk to them and see what they can offer me on the city fibre network

Back
Top Bottom