FTTP VS VIRGIN MEDIA

Soldato
Yeah, still plodding along. I only have data from April onwards (when I started), so it might be interesting to see your graph generated from the same time parameters to make it apples to apples. Here's what I have so far:

tDIP4ra.png

Made a packet storm at one point on my network when I was testing something (around 23rd Apr which ruined my stats lol)
Not sure what's going on with the spikes around 9th May, but overall quite stable.

Your latency looks like it was able to drop to 10ms at times, lot of spikes jitter/smoke going on there w/ yours.
If the Y Axis was the same across our graphs, the difference would be night and day.

qkFgGMv.png

Soldato
Made a packet storm at one point on my network when I was testing something (around 23rd Apr which ruins my stats lol)
Not sure what's going on with the spikes around 9th May, but overall quite stable.

Your latency looks like it was able to drop to 10ms at times, lot of spikes jitter/smoke going on there w/ yours.
If the Y Axis was the same across our graphs, the difference would be night and day.

Absolutely, it's not even close. As for my latency dips, I don't know what the cause is. I've noticed it before when pinging things, suddenly I'll get 8-10ms to bbc.co.uk whereas normally it bounces between 16ms (bare minimum) to 22ms (usual). I guess something, somewhere, in the locality either reboots or stops using the pipe, or something, and everything improves - for a very short time. I wish they'd make it stay that way. :D I got this from Openreach the other day, and I'm already planning my local infra updates. :D

kX4YoIG.png

Soldato
I don't know what the cause is. I've noticed it before when pinging things
I have it sometimes to CloudFlare - tends to last a few hrs aswell, in my case I think it's when the route changes temporarily, and in my case my ping goes up:
hlJh5cY.png

I got this from Openreach the other day, and I'm already planning my local infra updates. :D
Bet you're excited, I used to check my ISP's website every single day after my Fibre got laid... :D
Insane when you look at the OR map and realize how much of the UK they plan to cover in just a few years...

Soldato
I have it sometimes to CloudFlare - tends to last a few hrs aswell, in my case I think it's when the route changes temporarily, and in my case my ping goes up:

Bet you're excited, I used to check my ISP's website every single day after my Fibre got laid... :D
Insane when you look at the OR map and realize how much of the UK they plan to cover in just a few years...

Yeah, VM routing sucks donkey danglies. Always has. I'm still undecided on ISP. Ideally I'd go with Zen, but I really wanted to avoid PPPoE if possible. Unfortunately atm that's basically TalkTalk retail (their business is still PPPoE for some reason). Sky don't have it, but use MER instead which is just as bad. I also want static IPv4 (at least a /30 but preferably /29) and IPv6 so it looks like I'll just have to stick with a business package from Zen. It's only due to some issues with PPPoE capping out on single core under BSD, but I found out this week that's only on some Intel NICs using the igb driver. Older (em) driver NICs and the fibre NICs are unaffected, so something to consider for the network upgrade.

Yeah OR are really pushing out the boat. Their plan is huge to say the least. We have live blanket coverage to the north and south of us atm, but our area has only a few speckles of fibre laid (including, frustratingly, a single street away!). They plan to fill in the gap (i.e. my area) and spread outwards over 10 miles in the next 3 years. Since we're literally touching the boundary of their current live blanket of fibre I'm hoping we're very soon (certainly this year) rather than 2025. :p

Soldato
It's only due to some issues with PPPoE capping out on single core under BSD
Yeah had issues with this myself when first trying out OPNSense, so ended up just using MikroTik CHR as it easily maxes out my speed, interface isn't as fancy but it just works.
I have a I350-T4, but it struggled w/ 900Mbps on OPNSense. Never gave PfSense a go, but I just assumed it'd be the same.

Yeah OR are really pushing out the boat. Their plan is huge to say the least.
For me moving anywhere now I'd want to have FTTP, cause I can't imagine going back to copper after having this sort of connection.
So it's reassuring that hopefully at some point soon, wherever you are or wherever you decide to move, it should be relatively easy to get FTTP.

Soldato
Yeah had issues with this myself when first trying out OPNSense, so ended up just using MikroTik CHR as it easily maxes out my speed, interface isn't as fancy but it just works.
I have a I350-T4, but it struggled w/ 900Mbps on OPNSense. Never gave PfSense a go, but I just assumed it'd be the same.

For me moving anywhere now I'd want to have FTTP, cause I can't imagine going back to copper after having this sort of connection.
So it's reassuring that hopefully at some point soon, wherever you are or wherever you decide to move, it should be relatively easy to get FTTP.

Bingo, I350-T4 is what I have as well. Any Linux based router will be fine, so I have IPFire and VyOS configs lined up and working to just slot in if needs be, with barely a reboot of downtime. I'm really wanting to go back to bare FreeBSD or OpenBSD though if possible, so as I said if I can't avoid PPPoE I'll just swap out the NIC. Now seems an ideal time to move everything to a rack (or at least a wall mounted rack frame), and move the router to 1u to match my switch etc and keep everything tidied up. Ethernet re-pulls incoming. :D

Soldato
Bingo, I350-T4 is what I have as well. Any Linux based router will be fine, so I have IPFire and VyOS configs lined up and working to just slot in if needs be
Yeah was considering VsOS back then aswell. Seems like a good choice aswell.

I'm really wanting to go back to bare FreeBSD or OpenBSD though if possible
Why is that, for the cleaner web interface etc you get with PfSense/OPNSense or some other reason, for me that is the main reason that I'd want to make a switch back to one of those options.
Or some other sort of features that you wish for that aren't possible with the alternatives you mention.

Now seems an ideal time to move everything to a rack
Sounds like it'd be better than what I've got going on, literally just got an old PC sitting there doing all the work of a router :D

Caporegime
I'm still undecided on ISP. Ideally I'd go with Zen, but I really wanted to avoid PPPoE if possible. Unfortunately atm that's basically TalkTalk retail (their business is still PPPoE for some reason). Sky don't have it, but use MER instead which is just as bad. I also want static IPv4 (at least a /30 but preferably /29) and IPv6 so it looks like I'll just have to stick with a business package from Zen.
I'm due to get FTTP within the next couple of months (if the build stays on track) and I'm pretty much settled on Giganet as the ISP. They don't offer 1Gbps but the 500Mbps package is only £37, £38 with a static IPv4, you get IPv6.

Sky is DHCP as long as your router requests IPv6 prefix delegation, this then tells the network that it's connected to a router and it will issue an IPv4 address. It's dynamic, though.

Back
Top Bottom