Fuji X Series

Associate
I ended up renting the 23 f1.4 WR LM from fuji on the fuji 7 day loan system, and my partner is testing it on a fashion shoot on the weekend. Taking a couple of test shots around the house, it is a beautiful lens, and a significant step up from my 18-55 kit lens. I think I’ll wait until I have the money and buy one, rather than going for one of the cheaper lenses.

Last edited:
Soldato
I ended up renting the 23 f1.4 WR LM from fuji on the fuji 7 day loan system, and my partner is testing it on a fashion shoot on the weekend. Taking a couple of test shots around the house, it is a beautiful lens, and a significant step up from my 18-55 kit lens. I think I’ll wait until I have the money and buy one, rather than going for one of the cheaper lenses.
That’s pretty much where I am. I’ve owned them all and every lens just has one niggle or falls down in one department that can ruin the experience.
The Tokina has so far been the best of a mediocre-decent bunch and since it didn’t cost me that much in the first place I’ll just hang on to it until I’m in a position to get the new XF 23mm.

Associate
Reporting back on my experience with the 23 f1.4 WR: my mrs was very happy with the lens. The shots she got with it were excellent. I had a brief play around with it and I found the autofocus to be noticeably faster than the XF 18-55.

Based on that I’m pretty sure we’re going to sell the 18-55 and get the 23mm.

Soldato
Reporting back on my experience with the 23 f1.4 WR: my mrs was very happy with the lens. The shots she got with it were excellent. I had a brief play around with it and I found the autofocus to be noticeably faster than the XF 18-55.

Based on that I’m pretty sure we’re going to sell the 18-55 and get the 23mm.
If you don’t need the money from the 18-55 I would strongly suggest holding onto it - unless you know you’ll have absolutely no need for it.
It’s such a versatile little lens that offers decent zoom range.
Just my 2 pence worth.

Soldato
Ive been doing some research into the XT-5. Expensive yes, but oh so tempted. It offers a fairly large upgrade for me. I would have to sell my XT-3 (and perhaps a kidney). Where would you get one from give the choice?
It's a great camera :D
Just one question (and please don't take this is as me wanting to 'wee' on your parade) but are you looking to upgrade solely because of the sensor? I only say this because I have seen others swoon over the idea of the 40mp sensor and, to be honest, 99% of the time I can see no appreciable difference over my X-T4.
HOWEVER, all that said, it offers a lot of iterative upgrades over the X-T3 to definitely make it worth one's while. The AF is much improved, it offers significantly better battery life and some newer film sims as well which I always appreciate.
As for where to purchase, any of the main retailers in the UK would do - I doubt you'll see any good deals on Used or Refurbished gear this early into its life so you're looking at New. I always try to go for WEX or Jessops however this is mostly because they are but a couple who offer free shipping to NI and have an actual store here (granted they're both still a 2 hour drive away but here nonetheless).

Man of Honour
I’ve quite a few reasons for wanting to upgrade.

The sensor is a fairly big deal for me. I take landscape and a lot of my work ends up in print. I’m basically at the limit of the XT3 in that respect and would appreciate some extra pixels. I also fancy dabbling with pixel shift but I’m guessing that’s just a fancy name for HDR. I also take sports photography and the AF is somewhat problematic for me as I’ve discussed before. I don’t have much time to faff around so a good AF would be appreciated.
Battery life is abysmal on the XT 3 and I often find myself having to recharge whilst on the job. The last meet I burnt 5 batteries in one shoot, although that was 8 hours,1200 stills and 14 video.

Pana are offering the body for £1600. Plus I can pay in three interest free instalments. I’ve bought from them a few times and always had great service. But I’m guessing it’s grey import. The price in the UK is eye watering.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve quite a few reasons for wanting to upgrade.

The sensor is a fairly big deal for me. I take landscape and a lot of my work ends up in print. I’m basically at the limit of the XT3 in that respect and would appreciate some extra pixels. I also fancy dabbling with pixel shift but I’m guessing that’s just a fancy name for HDR. I also take sports photography and the AF is somewhat problematic for me as I’ve discussed before. I don’t have much time to faff around so a good AF would be appreciated.
Battery life is abysmal on the XT 3 and I often find myself having to recharge whilst on the job. The last meet I burnt 5 batteries in one shoot, although that was 8 hours,1200 stills and 14 video.
Pixel shift is a feature whereby you can effectively 'stack' 20 images to produce a single 160mp image - in theory it sounds super, in practice it's results are so-so - admittedly I've only used it the once and probably didn't utilise its full potential. Landscapes are probably a place it can have a decent effect however you need to ensure the scene you're shooting is perfectly still - the slightest movement anywhere in the frame and the final image is pretty much useless.
The general consensus seems to be it's best suited for Still Life or fine art photography. But, as I say, I have yet to really use it in anger.

As for sports you're definitely in luck. I use mine with the 50-140 (along with my X-H2S) for football and the AF has not let me down once - I've been very happy with it in this regard.
Pana are offering the body for £1600. Plus I can pay in three interest free instalments. I’ve bought from them a few times and always had great service. But I’m guessing it’s grey import. The price in the UK is eye watering.
Is that for the body only? Given that RRP is £1699 I would personally rather pay the extra £99 and purchase from a UK store. They nearly all take PayPal now so you can still pay over 3 instalments with them or even the interest free 4 month option.

Last edited:
Soldato
The body only is £1620 from Pana or £1699 from the UK, may as well purchase over here from Wex and use the 3 instalment PayPal option.

If you want a good saving, wait for E infin to come back in stock and pay £1488 for the Body.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got a nice little leather (i think fake leather, but soft and smells nice) pouch for the X100. Fits spare battery x 3 and charger with cable in the side pocket. Camera and strap in main pocket. Normally I am not a fan of camera bags that can fit only just 1 camera with 1 lens but the X100 is a fixed lens camera so there are no more accessories or lenses to add really (I know you can).

Drawstring to close. Then throw in normal backpack or messenger bag. Good to keep all the spare bits in 1 place as the battery in this don't last long.

£30 from Aliexpress. Price of 2 Pizzas.

UYS1DPc.jpg

ALq7j4g.jpg

1KvzcWz.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tried looking for this but don’t think I can find the exact one - do you have a link you could share please? Looks ideal for what I need.
I have the medium size, the small one may fit but from the measurement, it would be really tight, and would not have space for lens hood, thumb grip or filters attached, it's that tight.

There is that hook latch, D-lock thing? lately I've hooked it on the other loop on the opposite side to make a little handle. Multi purpose!

They also do a brown one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom