FunnyPlaying Game Boy IPS Mod

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has done a FP IPS mod before and where did you order from?

The only place in the UK that seems to do them (https://www.retrogamingparts.co.uk) doesn’t have the colour combo I want in stock, I could order from Aliexpress but makes me nervous ordering directly from China, do you get any protection etc?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions in advance!

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
You checked out Deadpanrobot? He has the FP IPS Screens in stock I think and is UK based
I don’t think I have! I’ll check now, thanks for the suggestion

Edit / I have looked at his website before, he only lists v1 for the CGB, I’m after v2 with the colour changing logo

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Ok think I’ve narrowed it down to these two combos based on stock availability! I’m leaning towards the matte black shell but the turquoise uses the IPS v2 screen…

Can someone make my mind up for me haha

photo sharing

The black lens will have the logo on though…

Last edited:

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
The light blue shell one, as the first one has a smaller screen.
Ignore the actual screen sizes, the black one was just an example of the colour combo, it’s not the same screen I’m ordering.

As far as I can tell the only difference between the v1 and v2 screens is, the v2 comes with the glass lens laminated to the screen so no chance of trapping dust in between and the logo lights up and can change colour.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
I’ve bit the bullet and ordered the parts for the turquoise build and when the white shells come in stock I’ll update it as I like the all white look. I think in the end I’d be annoyed with myself for not getting the v2 screen over the v1 and it’s not a cheap part just to replace later.

After I worked everything out on AliExpress it wasn’t actually that much cheaper with a much longer lead time.

I’ve got all the parts I need with next day delivery for £75

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Thanks

It's ended up costing about £100 in total including buying the donor Game Boy Color to mod.

Just need to get a EZ Flash Junior now and I'll be all set for my holidays lol

Associate
Looks awesome! I modded one of my DMG models last year and the screen is fantastic! I might look at getting an EZ flash to use on that to save swapping carts all the time.
How hard was the screen to install in your GBC?

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Looks awesome! I modded one of my DMG models last year and the screen is fantastic! I might look at getting an EZ flash to use on that to save swapping carts all the time.
How hard was the screen to install in your GBC?
It was pretty straight forward as I also got the funnyplaying shell specifically for the v2 screen, so didn't have to modify the shell at all. The hardest part was getting the solder to "stick" to the start + select pads on the GBC pcb, in the end I had to scratch them up a little.

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
OP
Flux is your friend!

Looks great though, I’m tempted to do similar colours
Retro Gaming Parts have got a load of stock coming in tomorrow so more options than what I had… I’ve just pre-ordered a EZ Flash Junior should arrive next week

Back
Top Bottom