• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fury X vs 980ti

Associate
I think HBM DX12 and Win10 could be a very interesting and good combination at high resolution.

If DX12 allows the CPU to work harder HBM will allow the GPU to process it faster.

Don't games need to be specifically coded for DX12 to take advantage of any improvements it may bring? How is DX12 going to benefit current DX11 games? :confused:

Soldato
I think HBM DX12 and Win10 could be a very interesting and good combination at high resolution.

If DX12 allows the CPU to work harder HBM will allow the GPU to process it faster.

If anything to say those people programming games pretty much all say the same thing, dx12 and also windows 10 changes the game. dx11 has overhead and nvidia spent a ton of resources to hide that. windows 10 is different and the playing field has new rules.

I never buy old tech and if someone offers me new tech and a new OS I bet on new tech on that future hopefully bright :)

I buy Fury and I wait for the 14 of july to decide what it be. I rather be happy 6 months from now with the buy than to think wished I didnt buy this old stuff.

Soldato
I would take a quiet and cool running gpu over 10fps any day of the week..
Let's see...

290x vs 780 back then: 290x was cheaper, has more vram, faster but hotter and noisier. Conclusion- buying 780

980Ti vs Fury X: 980Ti cost the same, has more vram, faster but MUCH hotter and noisier. Conclusion- buy 980Ti

Just buy Nvidia if anyone wants to buy Nvidia...there's no need to give reasons for it :p

Soldato
Don't games need to be specifically coded for DX12 to take advantage of any improvements it may bring? How is DX12 going to benefit current DX11 games? :confused:

windows 10 with todays game will use dx11 path.
the OS however offers less overhead and dx12 paths can be patched for many games especially those made for Mantle. BF4, Star wars battlefront etc...
true dx12 needs a engine for it to be optimal but those testing windows 10 says the same thing its better on windows 10 than win 8.

Associate
I've been an AMD fan for years now but after seeing the Gigabyte 980ti G1 Gaming Windforce card I'm gonna make the switch to Nvidia. It might be a little bit more expensive but after seeing the specs almost beat out a Titan X it's convinced me. Also the standard 980ti is beating the Fury X so the Gigabyte should blow it out of the water.

Man of Honour
In terms of performance there wasn't any game where the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X was faster than the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. In some games, it did match the same gameplay experience, which was a major upgrade from the AMD Radeon R9 290X. However, in every game the GTX 980 Ti always had the framerate advantage, especially when it came to minimum framerate which is important.

And:

The problem was though that the performance increases were very erratic. There wasn't a predictable percentage of performance increase with the R9 Fury X over the R9 290X. This is because the R9 Fury X is faster in some cases where games use heavy tessellation, since tessellation got a big upgrade in R9 Fury X. However, if a game doesn't use some feature that was beefed up in the R9 Fury X the performance increase over R9 290X is much smaller.

This means the kind of performance upgrade you will get over AMD Radeon R9 290X will depend on the game and the features it uses. Games like Witcher 3 and FC4 can bring big improvements. Older game like BF4 not so much. This means older games may not see as large improvements as newer games using newer technologies.

Says a lot to me.

Source.

Soldato
And noise and temp is on fury x side etc

Just wanted to point out, despite people mentioning it all the time running temp is actually pretty irrelevant and is just a measurement of how good the cooler is at getting rid of heat, it has nothing to do with the amount of heat that a GFX card is putting out, it doesn't matter if a GPU runs at 50c or 90c under load as long as the GPU is rated to do that it will be fine.

What really matters is how much heat the GFX card emits into it's surroundings, and according to reviews the 980ti emits less heat than the Fury, which means it will warm the room up less while running.

(I'm not trying to diss the Fury, just pointing all this out).

Associate
And:

Says a lot to me.

Source.

And other reviews found lots of times the FuryX was faster than a Ti. Overall I'd probably take an aftermarket Ti as they do currently seem faster overall though nVidia have had more time to mature their drivers so I'd expect the FuryX to gain more over time. It's still close and if looking for a new *sync monitor too the FuryX is cheaper cause it doesn't have the added GSync cost, along with being quieter etc so in that case I'd go for the FuryX.

swings and roundabouts.

Just wanted to point out, despite people mentioning it all the time running temp is actually pretty irrelevant and is just a measurement of how good the cooler is at getting rid of heat, it has nothing to do with the amount of heat that a GFX card is putting out, it doesn't matter if a GPU runs at 50c or 90c under load as long as the GPU is rated to do that it will be fine.

What really matters is how much heat the GFX card emits into it's surroundings, and according to reviews the 980ti emits less heat than the Fury, which means it will warm the room up less while running.

(I'm not trying to diss the Fury, just pointing all this out).

What matters to most people is how it gets rid of that heat - in terms of noise. I agree the running temp isn't relevant and doesn't make the Ti a worse card, but you've either got a noisy card or an aftermarket cooler that vents the heat into the case, meaning it needs extracted somehow and influences CPU temp which then needs kept down, all adding noise again. I'd still currently take the Ti, but this is the first time I've seen 'room heating effect' given as a reason to pick one card over another :p

Last edited:
Associate
Well checking the prices on OCUK, the Fury is almost the same price as a normal 980..so if i'd look in that price range, i'd take the Fury. It is slower than the 980Ti (atm), but faster than the 980.

Man of Honour
Well checking the prices on OCUK, the Fury is almost the same price as a normal 980..so if i'd look in that price range, i'd take the Fury. It is slower than the 980Ti (atm), but faster than the 980.

Think you're confused, the cheapest is the same as a 980 Ti.

Soldato
I'd still currently take the Ti, but this is the first time I've seen 'room heating effect' given as a reason to pick one card over another :p

Hehe, I wasn't really that clear, I didn't mean the 'room heating effect' should be a reason to pick one card over another, just that running temp is even less of a reason to pick one card over another.

Soldato
valid question and the answer is

295 x2 :)

tee hee

On a serious note

Why does everyone think that the DX12 will only benefit AMD. from my perspective it looks like AMD are selling DX12 as a mask for the fact the card currently isn't as good as one would have expected (non 4k resolutions).

but surely it will benefit nvidia too or am i missing something?

J.D

J.D

Soldato
On a serious note

Why does everyone think that the DX12 will only benefit AMD. from my perspective it looks like AMD are selling DX12 as a mask for the fact the card currently isn't as good as one would have expected (non 4k resolutions).

but surely it will benefit nvidia too or am i missing something?

Don't you think the work AMD have had with Mantle will have them having a better understanding and implementation regarding DX12?. This is a question, not a strange way of me telling you something :D.

Don
Don't you think the work AMD have had with Mantle will have them having a better understanding and implementation regarding DX12?. This is a question, not a strange way of me telling you something :D.

I think they will be stood scratching their heads when DX12 is released and totaly caught trousers down :D

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I think they will be stood scratching their heads when DX12 is released and totaly caught trousers down :D

lol Maybe not scratching their heads but the trousers may be down to pee on Nvidia. :D

We'll see in time but I hope the work with Mantle will have them better prepared as Nvidia continuously deliver.

Back
Top Bottom