• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fury X vs 980ti

Soldato
Don't you think the work AMD have had with Mantle will have them having a better understanding and implementation regarding DX12?. This is a question, not a strange way of me telling you something :D.

I don't know

We will just have to wait but right now unless you game on 4k or are changing real soon You may aswell save your money and wait for DX12 to be out and games to be ready for it then decide how to spend your money on a future solution.

Buying for future proofing right now seems pretty risky.

Permabanned
I just bought a 980Ti. Now deeply regret it after seeing the following results. In which it is beaten in DX12 by an old AMD 290X

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1885-dx12-v-mantle-v-dx11-benchmark

It just compares how well one GPU and CPU combination can perform using one API versus another one, it's to test how close to its potential the hardware can perform. However you can't look at the two tests and determine that the R9 290X is a more powerful GPU than the GTX Titan X because there's more to overall performance than just draw calls.

Copied and pasted as it explained it better than I could :)

Caporegime
I just bought a 980Ti. Now deeply regret it after seeing the following results. In which it is beaten in DX12 by an old AMD 290X

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1885-dx12-v-mantle-v-dx11-benchmark

Did you not read?

Note that results cannot be compared between GPUs. This is not like a standard FPS or frame-time benchmark. This is purely an API test, and so any delta between nVidia and AMD hardware should not be regarded as superiority or inferiority.

Soldato
Its a strange one, some reviews have it on par with the Ti at 1440p, beating it, others have it smashed, and barely out doing the 290X. :p

thats just drivers

give it a bit and I'm sure it will improve Sadly for AMD waiting for driver fixes is one of many peoples biggest beefs.

the crossfire freesync debacle is just one in a long line of irritants for many AMD users.

hopefully AMD know this now and are going to up their game. I'm hoping they aren't just going to wait for DX12 to "fix" everything for them.

J.D

J.D

Soldato
I don't know

We will just have to wait but right now unless you game on 4k or are changing real soon You may aswell save your money and wait for DX12 to be out and games to be ready for it then decide how to spend your money on a future solution.

Buying for future proofing right now seems pretty risky.

Of course, buying for to hope things turn out good is far too risky. I do hope AMD can gain some ground though. We'll wait and see.

Permabanned
thats just drivers

give it a bit and I'm sure it will improve Sadly for AMD waiting for driver fixes is one of many peoples biggest beefs.

the crossfire freesync debacle is just one in a long line of irritants for many AMD users.

hopefully AMD know this now and are going to up their game. I'm hoping they aren't just going to wait for DX12 to "fix" everything for them.

This,this,this and this again.

How long has the freesync/crossfire issue been around now? HBM looks like a massive step forward but again,its reliant on drivers which is putting massive trust in AMD. A huge performance increase may or may not be just around the corner however it took almost 9 month to sort the issues with my launch 7970 so thats no good to me

Soldato
I am certainly happy to stay with my 295 x 2 at the moment.

going to hold my upgrade plan as cpu/mobo/ram next (skylake or x99) then sometime in 2016 i will look to see if anything truly beats on my 295 x2 :)

A friend of mine had a 7990 and asked me to fix his legacy gpu issue but for ages i couldn't offer him any reason to change. i expect the same will happen with the 295 x 2

Permabanned
I am certainly happy to stay with my 295 x 2 at the moment.

going to hold my upgrade plan as cpu/mobo/ram next (skylake or x99) then sometime in 2016 i will look to see if anything truly beats on my 295 x2 :)

A friend of mine had a 7990 and asked me to fix his legacy gpu issue but for ages i couldn't offer him any reason to change. i expect the same will happen with the 295 x 2

CPU?mobo/ram is my next upgrade as well although my 4770k stil holds its own. Skylakes first round of CPU's are the watered down versions and the enthusiast parts are back end of this year I think. May even add in a second Titan x then as well :)

Soldato
well i'm running 3770k and 8gb ballistix

I see at this point no reason to buy more ddr3 plus i kind of need a new ssd so m.2 might be the option.

I compare my 295 x 2 scores to haswell systems with 295 x2 and its definitely being held back a bit.

So I figure 16gb ddr4 skylake i7 and z107 or 5820k 16gb ram and x99

I can pick up a skylake I7 and just resell it when the second stepping or w/e it will be called comes out. I just don't see the point of upgrading and not getting ddr4 now

Soldato
I've a feeling Fury needs a couple of driver updates before it stretches it's legs. I think it's gonna be more or less neck and neck with the 980ti in the coming year...

Soldato
Why?! Why are people worrying about DX12. BY the time it is in lots of games/most new games the 980Ti and Fury X will be obsolete.

DX12 is out next month and I suspect all the big developers will have had at least 6 months access to it already. The new deus ex game is DX12 and most likely many new titles will be in development already. We should start seeing DX12 by end of the year.

Permabanned
well i'm running 3770k and 8gb ballistix

I see at this point no reason to buy more ddr3 plus i kind of need a new ssd so m.2 might be the option.

I compare my 295 x 2 scores to haswell systems with 295 x2 and its definitely being held back a bit.

So I figure 16gb ddr4 skylake i7 and z107 or 5820k 16gb ram and x99

I can pick up a skylake I7 and just resell it when the second stepping or w/e it will be called comes out. I just don't see the point of upgrading and not getting ddr4 now

Yeah I only have 8gb of ddr3 and begrudge adding anymore this late in the game. I would still wait on the proper chips though bud as the first models are only 3.4ghz I think and not really overclockers. I cant remember where I heard about them but they said they no better than whats out now and not to worry as they not really meant for us

Associate
DX12 is out next month and I suspect all the big developers will have had at least 6 months access to it already. The new deus ex game is DX12 and most likely many new titles will be in development already. We should start seeing DX12 by end of the year.

Star wars battlefront due in Nov is also DX12 apparently.

Caporegime
thats just drivers

Yeah it'll improve, its just when :p

Hopefully its not too long though, might start to get them now that their new cards are finally out. :)

Soldato
So I read something on /r/pcmasterrace about how the Fury X had the wrong drivers given to the press, and one review with the correct ones had it beating the 980Ti in almost everything or even smashing it in some areas! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom