Fuse box advice

Soldato
I got my new house this week and one of the things that was flagged up was the age of the fuse box.

To me, the wiring all looks fairly decent around the house, however the actual box looks antiquated.

tPqEUhml.jpg

Obviously I plan on getting it changed at some point, but having spent out a hell of a lot on other things at the moment, I'd rather wait if it isn't urgent. I can't imagine the house would need a full rewire as there was an extension built around 20 years ago and the wiring I can see around looks OK from my untrained eye.

Any sparkies got any advice?
Ta.

I've phoned my sparky to come out and have a look, unfortunately he can't come out till after Christmas, thats the problem with getting a house around Christmas time!

I'm hoping I don't need a full rewire as I could do without the added expense at the moment. From what I can see, the wiring all looks like it is grey plastic shielded cabling in good condition. I've pulled a few floor boards up and it all looks OK under there, it might have been updated when the extension was put in. My only concern is any DIY bodges he may have done and as I will probably be drawing a hell of a lot more power than two old people it may cause problems.

Next on to the roofer to get the hole in the roof sorted! Why did I buy this house..

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, I've spoken to SP Energy and they're going to come out and inspect the cut out. From my description the woman said "that does sound like a very old one".

Just had the alarm company out too and his first words were, "you are going to replace that lot aren't you?" when he saw the fuse box!

And result on the roof too, "only" going to be £290 to get it sorted.

I was up there doing some network cable runs on Saturday and could hear dripping on the inside. The guy came round today and confirmed what I thought, the flashing has gone around the chimney so it's leaking through on the inside.

Although a full rewire would be ideal, if I can get away with just changing the consumer unit though that would be preferable as I've had to spend out on a few unexpected things recently and use money that was earmarked for the house. I'll get a quote for it anyway and see how much it would be.

Forgot he said he'd repoint the chimney in that as well as it looks like it needs doing. £1500 is pretty good, I assumed somewhere around the £4k mark.

I can see plenty wrong in that picture, some reasonably serious some not. Wouldn't take long for a decent spark to work out what needs doing.

What are the serious problems, just out of interest?

I got some better pics of things today, anyone got any idea how old the cutout could be? SP Energy just said "very old".

Bw9p5vml.jpg

uuZlt2wl.jpg

Here is some of the wiring throughout the house. I've been under a few of the floorboards and up in the loft and it all looks in good condition and well routed like below. I'm guessing it was all rewired when the extension was done about 20 years or so ago.

aeBYhNNl.jpg

Mine was 1950's street. The black leakage you can see coming from the green box I believe is tar that is used as an isolator. For the sake of a couple of phone calls there is no point not getting it done for free.

Already booked in for the 7th January! Luckily they had that date free as I'm off then getting new doors and carpets fitted.

Yep, it is basically just another one of the rewireable fuses but on it's own. I also have an extra one like this which powers my the oven and hob. Only difference is mine has it's own tails from the meter, and not linked from the main fuse box like the OP's.

I think that's what mine goes to as well, the oven is on it's own circuit so I'm assuming it goes there.

One shiny new cut out installed today..
Ww8oD7hl.jpg

Going to ring my provider now and see if they'll fit an isolator, then ring the electrician to get a new consumer unit.

Not a great time for all this going on as I had to call National Grid out last week to change the gas isolator as I had a pipe leak upstairs. I've now been without gas for a week as I need all new pipe work to replace the old leaky steel stuff.

Back
Top Bottom