Futeko Mali400 ICS 7" Tablet with HDMI, £99 looks good?

• Thread starter Thread starter mrk
  • Start date Start date
TFT according to the spec.

All flat panels are TFT displays unless they're AMOLED/OLED. An IPS screen is still a TFT-LCD. SO the spec saying TFT isn't really that accurate but they do say it's the same display as the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 so I can't imagine it being a cheap quality screen.

I'll wait until workmate's one arrives and give it a good old burn and run of a few benchmarks :p Stock is on the 9th and he's chosen priority mail so should get it soon after.

Looks really good!

My workmate says his has likely arrived as a package was waiting at his home today. I won't see him again until Thursday but he has promised to bring it in so I can have a look at it.

Rather fast shipping!

If I do get one I'll probably only use it to read PDF magazines that I get each other week and also some eBooks. The Touchpad is just a bit too bulky for that kind of stuff in bed and I feel like there's a cat sitting on my stomach when lying there reading ¬_¬

I'm uploading a video of my workmate's one in a moment once I've joined the 2 vids on my S2 :p

Feedback so far on it is this,

I actually really like it and dare I say it, I prefer it to my touchpad as well. It’s a LOT more portable than the TP of course but it is lower res so things are a bit more crammed when browsing websites.
Moving onto websites, the browser has a HTML5 or Flash mode for videos, iPlayer only works in Flash Mode but Youtube works with either. Browsing is easy and text is easy to read zoomed out in landscape but you might need to look closer for some sites in portrait mode if those sites use smaller fonts. Not a problem really.

The default keyboard has Jap symbols as well as some of the built in apps like the iReader which has 2 jap books bundled.

The stock launcher is a bit stuttery but easily replaced. I do like the hardware buttons for back/menu too, quite good placement for one handed operation.

The screen quality is not great but it’s not bad either, it’s a bit worse than an LCD screen on a modern smartphone for viewing angles. Text is not as sharp as one either but is still legible. Touchscreen responsiveness is no different to the latest capacitive smartphones.

The stock Android 2.3.4 on this has 3 brightness values when sliding the brightness slider which is a bit weird.

The speaker is loud enough.

I didn’t really bother trying the built in camera.

It comes with a white UK USB socketed mains plug, it's quite slim like the ones that ship with Apple devices.

The casing is plastic but it feels pretty tough and looks like it can be taken apart and “customised” for people who like modding and things of that sort :p

It has 870MB of storage free for apps, there is the mSD card slot too of course and it has a further 6GB of storage space for your files.

Performance in apps seems excellent really, I can only imagine that ICS will improve things even more and considering it costs £100 it’s an absolute stonker of a deal IMO.

I think I’m going to buy one purely because it will be perfect for my PDF/eBook reading needs as well as browsing the web.

Basically, to get it almost perfect:

1: Replace launcher with GoLauncher/LP/ADW etc etc.
2: Install a new Keyboard (plenty of excellent ones on Market).
3: Install a new browser like Boat.
4: Install ICS :p

Last edited:
You’ll still have the same view of course (same res) but things will be a bit bigger but TBH I don’t feel the sharpness for small text will improve because of the vast difference between this LCD and the S2’s SAMOLED.

Is there an online comic you read? I could snap a pic at work of the same comic on my S2 next to one on the tablet.

There is but it's beta so has a few bugs.

I've noticed a few things after looking deeper.

There is no Accounts & Sync area in Settings so can't see a way of moddifying accounts to sync with and a lot of apps aren't compatible in the Market so you'll have to use other Market apps like SlideMe/GetJar etc it seems.

If you install another browser like Boat and have the UA set to Android then iPlayer site sees it as such and loads the site in the other style which should play them better too.

Back
Top Bottom