• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Associate
Hi,
First post on here, looking for some help!
I bought an Asus Strixx GTX 1080 A8G and a Dell 2716DG (The G-Sync one)

So.. I thought this would be a pretty killer combo for gaming but I'm getting a very weird issue,
it's a little hard to explain but here goes..

(By the way this is content unrelated - so I'm suffering this issue on film playback, youtube videos, and gaming.)

Mostly noticeable when the on-screen content is panning horizontally, there's a kinda judder, it's not jagged or tear-like, much more of a liquidy feel, like it's playing catch up or something is trying to smoothen out an issue, this is my first G-sync screen and I'm wondering if there's an incompatibility or other hardware issue..

Basically has anyone got any idea what might cause this?
I've got the latest Nvidia drivers installed, using Win10 and I'm under the impression the monitor doesn't require any additional software, at least in terms of drivers.

Please help, sunk a bunch of money into this and it's no fun to use at the moment!
I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice, maybe there's some settings I can adjust?
Thanks
J

Soldato
Have you turned on gsync in nvidia control panel? You can also make sure that windowed mode gsync is turned on.

Also turn off vsync in game, you can use nvidia control panel to specify the behaviour if the max refresh is exceeded, e.g. vsync, fast sync.

Or some people prefer to use a 3rd party app like afterburner to set a frame limiter to 1fps under the monitors max refresh e.g. 143fps o a 144hz monitor

Man of Honour
Put response time on the monitor to Normal instead of Fast if it is set to Fast. Try using V-Sync On and Off as well rather than the FastSync setting to see if its that as some games don't work nice with FastSync and/or need additional tweaking.

https://youtu.be/Ifxmd-uMU5Y?t=149 - watch closely the white banners at the top and top right of the screen in the panning scene - is this what you are talking about?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi,
First post on here, looking for some help!
I bought an Asus Strixx GTX 1080 A8G and a Dell 2716DG (The G-Sync one)

So.. I thought this would be a pretty killer combo for gaming but I'm getting a very weird issue,
it's a little hard to explain but here goes..

(By the way this is content unrelated - so I'm suffering this issue on film playback, youtube videos, and gaming.)

Mostly noticeable when the on-screen content is panning horizontally, there's a kinda judder, it's not jagged or tear-like, much more of a liquidy feel, like it's playing catch up or something is trying to smoothen out an issue, this is my first G-sync screen and I'm wondering if there's an incompatibility or other hardware issue..

Basically has anyone got any idea what might cause this?
I've got the latest Nvidia drivers installed, using Win10 and I'm under the impression the monitor doesn't require any additional software, at least in terms of drivers.

Please help, sunk a bunch of money into this and it's no fun to use at the moment!
I'd really appreciate any thoughts or advice, maybe there's some settings I can adjust?
Thanks
J

I personally have had nothing but issues with windows 10 including jidder(like in the video linked) and microstuttering, especially after the creators update. While im not to keen on windows 7 look wise the OS is running flawless with my 1080ti + S2417DG combo. Might be worth a thought if nothing else is working.

Man of Honour
The logo banners above the tank? yes- that is exactly the issue!!

Yeah - it can be much reduced on Normal response time versus Fast but that doesn't completely eliminate it - I've seen it on many recent setups ever since I moved on from Fermi GPUs - out of interest what was your previous setup?

I've been trying to narrow down whether its a G-Sync issue or something more general for awhile with mixed results - I was thinking it was part of the way G-Sync tries to boost pixel response for motion clarity but then I've randomly seen it happening on some non-G-Sync systems as well.

Associate
OP
hmmm.. previous setup was Palit 1070 and a budget 1920x1080 AOC monitor, I never noticed anything like this on that.
Well it's just a real weird thing, and like you said, hard to pin down to a specific.

I've always had the screen on Normal response.

FYI .... I just watched that clip back on my old mac mini with a 12 year old 20" apple cinema display and it was rock solid!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My laptop which is a Fermi GPU actually despite the 600 name does it on both its internal display and another Dell IPS so its definitely not just G-Sync - however an older system hooked up to coincidentally an AOC U2868PQU its barely noticeable hmm.

Man of Honour
It isn't really a major issue and not limited to this display - but it can be distracting when panning across bright surfaces and definitely some hardware is less affected by it than others for some reason I can't get to the bottom of - some of my older stuff as above plays it with minimal juddering while other stuff its quite bad i.e. my Sony Xperia Z tablet is just the same as my S2716DG while an older laptop with a core 2 and G92 based GPU its fine.

Associate
OP
This is the display I was thinking buying. Have you solved your issue?

Is it across all games or just one?
I noticed it Elite dangerous the other day, but mostly whilst watching youtube, and it seems to be related to bright moving objects.. like the example link above.

I also noticed it here.. watch as the cars come round the corner, on my G-sync Dell they kinda jump around in little bursts

https://youtu.be/Jp_HOVJP1Mw?t=17s

actually .. just to confuse matters even more.. this might just be a youtube encoding thing.. as that particular clips also does it on my mac screen, where as the other example was solved on the mac.

Here's another example - https://youtu.be/Jp_HOVJP1Mw?t=3m19s

Soldato
I noticed it Elite dangerous the other day, but mostly whilst watching youtube, and it seems to be related to bright moving objects.. like the example link above.

I also noticed it here.. watch as the cars come round the corner, on my G-sync Dell they kinda jump around in little bursts

https://youtu.be/Jp_HOVJP1Mw?t=17s

I have to say in the two videos you've posted I haven't seen your issue. I'm just using a plain vanilla monitor at 60hz.

Try turning off Fast Sync maybe?

Associate
OP
I have to say in the two videos you've posted I haven't seen your issue. I'm just using a plain vanilla monitor at 60hz.

Try turning off Fast Sync maybe?

Erm... I'm not sure I've come across this setting.. where does one turn off fast sync..?? I'll try anything at this point!

Associate
Are you running Creators Update? If you are, try rolling back to Windows 10 1607 (get a fresh iso if you can't roll back), and try 378.92 Nvidia drivers. Creators Update seems to have broken Gsync and introduced tons of stuttering and drops. There's a 50+ page thread over on the Nvidia forums, but this still seems to be the only real fix. My new build (1080Ti and Z35P Monitor) was a mess until I tried the above...

Associate
OP
Yeh I figured I'd use google and found the answer pretty quick! nut thanks for the suggestion, I tried on, off and fast... same result on those clips so it's not related to that.

It's enough to drive you a bit nuts this!!

Associate
OP
Are you running Creators Update? If you are, try rolling back to Windows 10 1607 (get a fresh iso if you can't roll back), and try 378.92 Nvidia drivers. Creators Update seems to have broken Gsync and introduced tons of stuttering and drops. There's a 50+ page thread over on the Nvidia forums, but this still seems to be the only real fix. My new build (1080Ti and Z35P Monitor) was a mess until I tried the above...

AH ok...thanks for the tip. I might be, not sure .. I think it forced me to update recently..
I'll have a read over there and try that if I have to.. maybe a separate partition though as I've got a tonne of work on this system.

Back
Top Bottom