Gamers Nexus video on improper AIO installation?

Caporegime

So they recently did a video where they talked about improper AIO installation and also mentioned that an AIO would likely last around 3-4 years. Having had my AIO cooler for 3 1/2 years, should I be looking to replace it? It still does a decent job, is relatively quiet and I have the input pipes of the cooler at the top of the radiator, in contradiction to the recommended installation where the pipes are actually below the height of the integrated pump. I've never noticed any noise or gurgling on this but now I'm slightly paranoid that my pump is full of air and I could be 'killing' my AIO, if not killed it already?!

Has anyone else got their AIO the 'wrong' way and has changing this meant a positive change in thermal performance as well as noise/whine?

Last edited:
That sounds like a very short time. I wouldn't worry. No point in buying something new if its working fine.
Surely it depends on how much it's been used too. If it's been on 24/7 for 4 years, it's going to have seen a lot more wear.

The annoying thing is that I had my AIO mounted to the top of my case as exhaust and switched it a year or so ago to the front to get cooler air drawn in. Going to have to reconfigure after watching this. Either just roate the radiator so tubes are down or mount it at the top again.

I had a Corsair H50 (sure it was the H50, might've been another model) in my system for 6 years before I sold it, no pump or noise issues. Think all I did in that lifetime is replace the thermal paste once.

It's still going strong now another year later, as I know the guy who bought it from me...

Edit: After watching the video now, the reason it's lasted so long explains it lol. I had my first AIO in old system top-mounted, in the way Steve explained was optimal.

Although I'm probably now going to flip my current AIO as it's front-mounted and tubing is at the top, so will see if I can work it neatly to come from the bottom. I do worry it might rest on the GPU which I wouldn't like lol.

Last edited:
also mentioned that an AIO would likely last around 3-4 years.

Something I had trouble with conveying what I was meaning in a recent thread - there are a lot of AIOs that seem to struggle beyond 3 years but also a lot that do 5-10 years easy.

Seems to be somewhat model and batch related as much as it is operating time and conditions.

:D glad i watched this before starting my build tomorrow, I was going to put my radiator on the rear of my 011 but its definitely going in the top now.

The guy using the Dremel was trying to cut into the rad with the disc spinning the wrong way.:D

I didn't know a Dremmel could spin backwards? Maybe a frame-rate aberration making it look that way.

I've had mixed success with AIO but over time they've got better and my current Kraken X63 has a 6 year warranty so worth the extra.

Is there a summary (I don't have time to watch the whole vid right now)?

When using an AIO, make sure the rad is mounted above the block/pump, in the top of the case. If you absolutely have to install in the front, make sure the barbs are at the bottom, not the top.

Otherwise the air will sit in the pump, make noise, perform badly and degrade it over time.

When using an AIO, make sure the rad is mounted above the block/pump, in the top of the case. If you absolutely have to install in the front, make sure the barbs are at the bottom, not the top.

Otherwise the air will sit in the pump, make noise, perform badly and degrade it over time.

Great thanks. This goes against what most other videos I've seen say but it makes sense.

I've had my rad at the front for a few years and it's been fine but I guess I'll change it next time I open my case.

I just moved my H100 v2 to the top of the case, was a real pain to do. The tubes are not long enough to go to the bottom when mounted at the front of the case, the rad now covers the post codes which is a downer. My H105 has been running for ~5 years on the front of the case with tubes at the top in my Intel rig, it does make some strange noises some times so I might flip it over as the tubes should be long enough.

LTT did a test about positive and negative air pressure in a case as well as Radiator position and it made very little difference. Inside a case with 2+ fans moving air around there's very little 'air rising' going on.

Some people think the air in the case is "hotter" so you should put the radiator as an intake not an exhaust. There's videos about that too. My response is to put radiators on the front And the top :)

This discussion is only really specific to run of the mill CLC AIOs. If doing a traditional loop, it's not really an issue as you'll a) likely have a top rad anyway and b) the pump and res are separate from the block and c) the loop can easily be filled and bled.

Back
Top Bottom