Gaming and possible VR build around 2000

Associate
Ok i am pretty new to this and have tried to put some things together for my build. I would like to play games and possibly get and OR for VR in the next month or so.

I have a keyboard, mouse and windows license but I do want a monitor added to this. I would like to keep it below £2000 if possible but could go a very small amount over if its a big difference. I wonder if some of you can go over what I have selected and let me know of different or better options

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,661.40 (includes shipping: £12.60)​

Associate
Ok i am pretty new to this and have tried to put some things together for my build. I would like to play games and possibly get and OR for VR in the next month or so.

I have a keyboard, mouse and windows license but I do want a monitor added to this. I would like to keep it below £2000 if possible but could go a very small amount over if its a big difference. I wonder if some of you can go over what I have selected and let me know of different or better options

Total: £1,661.40 (includes shipping: £12.60)
Total: £1,989.21 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Or alternatively, a slightly cheaper build:

Total: £1,835.01 (includes shipping: £14.10)

Case choice is quite subjective, but the two chosen are well reviewed. You could also think about a faster (NVMe) SSD, but these cost more £ per GB than conventional SATA.​

Last edited:
Associate
I need to get a monitor in this bundle as well so not sure I can go up to those prices for a build
Total: £2,038.36 (includes shipping: £22.50)

If you wanted it to be definitely under 2k, swap the 1080 for a 1070ti (there isn't much performance difference if you overclock the 1070ti).

One of these:

Total: £1,360.07 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thrown into the mix .
Aorus cards have VR ports on the card PCB, have you have a Front 5.3" bay can hook up a VR panel . Recommended it a few time on here. Case and cooler can be switched to suit your personal taste.
Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps version can be found for £530 , cheaper then the above Aorus 1080 10Gbps. I have mine clocked with ram at 12Gbps, gtx 1070 ti can match these cards with 2.1ghz at the core and 12gbps at the ram

Total: £2,059.92 (includes shipping: £23.10)

Front vr panel in action . If you don't need to unplug and plug your headset , get cheaper card or even 1070ti as suggested

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/31120954/

Your Aorus Ti build was cracking , but now price has gone up :(
Save even more cash, i5 8400- handles 1440p + gaming and there's no bottlenecks . Boost to 3.8ghz across all cores .
Leaves the option to drop in i7 K in the future

Ryzen

Total: £2,060.37 (includes shipping: £22.50)​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That Ryzen build looks interesting, I have to admit I haven't really looked at Ryzen as I don't know anything about them. How do they compare to the i5 and i7 CPU's

Soldato
Before coffee lake, was hands down Ryzen, cheaper and performed just under i7 in gaming and workstation loads smashed it.
Now with coffeelake it's close , well until pieces shot up. I5 8400 was £170 and could outperform Ryzen for gaming but now it's £220 + putting it way over Ryzen 1600, which is all you need.
Having those extra 2 cores makes a huge difference for Intel and is about time !
Ryzen will help you push gtx 1080 Ti which is just hands down the best GPU. Pair that with 5k Pimax vr headset.... Damn !
Could drop doing to Gigabyte Gaming 3 on sale for £86 which saves £80 and brings you into budget or 27" 1440p 144hz screen which would be the better choice over 24"

Associate
OP
I have been doing some research on monitors and while that one linked seems to be a very nice monitor i would like a slightly larger one at least 27" i think. I have been looking at cheaper options as I will be doing other things apart from playing games and i'm not sure if i really need the 166hz. I don't really play that much in the way of fast paced things like cod or battlefield, maybe a little overwatch but just for fun.

Would i be able to get away with a 60hz cheaper option VR is probably where I will spend a fair bit of my gaming time. I found this monitor

Total: £221.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

if i got that monitor plus the build I linked in the first post that would be under the £2000 and seems like a pretty decent system

Soldato
@Deletion
That's sound logic wanting to spend the cash on VR rather then screen, that 1080ti will be quite powerful for 1440p 60hz . And I would still go AOC 32" freesync VA 75hz screen for £200 due to the screen panel and 75hz .

Would personally go 4k 60hz - non G-sync to save cash, Ti isn't quite 4k card but should run most games 40-50hz and least your not wasting that ti on 60hz 1440p, and bring you to just under £2000

Total: £311.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Have a read up on i7 8700k overclocked and see the heat out out .

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-coffee-lake-i7-8700k-cpu,5252-12.html

And that's using phased . Will be using dark rock TF in my itx build and still thinking that will be having fans blasting 100% if I don't Delid, that has same 220w ability as cooler you've selected .
Worth checking out what other owners are using and fairing with the i7 8700k overclocked .
About to try stock with a shadow rock slim 130w to see how the chip fairs haha

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok i'm not that great with the technical stuff (trying to get better) I read through the article you linked. You think I will need better cooling than the fan i linked?
Should I look into water cooling, never really considered it as I always thought putting water into a computer seemed like a crazy idea.

Been checking out the overclocking page and seems some people are using the dark rock 3 with an 8700

Last edited:
Soldato
ok i'm not that great with the technical stuff (trying to get better) I read through the article you linked. You think I will need better cooling than the fan i linked?
Should I look into water cooling, never really considered it as I always thought putting water into a computer seemed like a crazy idea.

Been checking out the overclocking page and seems some people are using the dark rock 3 with an 8700

Not not so much better cooler, as the main fault is Intel ! The heatspreader is aweful . If your going to push a high overclock, and you need more volts the chip will run hot regardless !
Try the cooler, but if you see your running hotter then you like, can move to a good AIO

Main cure is, Delid and redo the paste with liquid metal :(

Associate
If you were sticking to be quiet! for looks/silence, get the Dark Rock Pro 3 instead of Dark Rock 3 - will give better temps and more overclocking headroom on the 8700k.

£62.99 really isn't a good price for a single tower air cooler; you can get different models for £20-£25 less that outperform the Dark Rock 3 in every way.

For monitors, there are 2 IPS 27in 4k monitors available for £349.99, these offer much better colour accuracy than the existing TN. Even if you don't game much, web-browsing, videos and images will look much better on these monitors.

You're also missing RAM in this build - do you already have some?

Finally, you could go for a 650w PSU instead - less % load on PSU means fan doesn't need to spin so fast = quieter system.

Last edited:
Soldato

Big one , the standard Gigabyte card doesn't have internal HDMI connectors . Only the Aorus version does

£30 more and does a lot better job, triple 100mm fans and much better heatsink design

Total: £759.89 (includes shipping: £9.90)​

Associate
OP
And this is why i wanted to check it over, cant believe i forgot the RAM, ok will have to go back to the drawing board because the ram will add another £200 or so, so I am going to have to lower some stuff down

Soldato
And this is why i wanted to check it over, cant believe i forgot the RAM, ok will have to go back to the drawing board because the ram will add another £200 or so, so I am going to have to lower some stuff down

Total: £1,415.41 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Might just be over still, i5 coffeelake is still some.sweious bit of kit !!!​

Soldato

Save £100 if you go for AOC 32" freesync 1440p 75hz screen. Can't use freesync but can drive the 75hz as another option.
4k and 1080 is pushing it without g-, sync
Upscale games to 4k :D 32" screen make a difference as DPI isn't to high

Total: £211.09 (includes shipping: £11.10)

BB CODE
Total: £2,002.71 (includes shipping: £15.90)
Or dropping VR support

Total: £2,095.11 (includes shipping: £15.30)

Call customer service and try and blag free shipping​

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom