Gaming Chair with a softer base? Does anything exist?

Soldato
A few months ago I gave the Noble Epic a try, due to the 30 day returns policy. Great chair, but for me, too firm a base. My backside and thighs just did not like it. lol. So, I think I gave it 2-3 weeks and returned it. No hassle with OCUK or DPD collecting, was really awesome process. The chap on the phone said it was the number 1 reason for returns. Shame - perhaps it should come with an optional choice during ordering for a slightly softer base?

Anywho...

So I've read a few topics in here with people saying the Nitro S300 is "comfortable". However, I'm dubious now as some people find the Noble Epic comfortable. So I think this is all subjective. Has anyone had direct experience of both these chairs that can give me some insight please? I don't think OCUK do a 30 trial of the Nitro S300 which would have been nice...

TIA.

Associate
I have the same problem with Ikea Markus at home, ok chair, but the seat is to firm or the padding not thick enough. I'm using HM Aeron at the office and it is great as I can sit for hours in it. I would love to have one at home as well the only issue is the price even for 2nd hand chairs

Soldato
OP
I'm going to take a punt on the S300 soon. Just waiting for it to come back in stock. So I'll feedback how the base is, just in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation. :)

Associate
I'm going to take a punt on the S300 soon. Just waiting for it to come back in stock. So I'll feedback how the base is, just in case it helps anyone else in a similar situation. :)
That would be extremely useful - was thinking about getting this chair too after narrowing down my choices, may hold off for a bit now though as additional reviews would be helpful.
its a minefield trying to choose a decent chair -too many choices !

Soldato
OP
So the chair arrived today. Nice and speedy dispatch and delivery by OCUK and DPD!

Initial thoughts are that yes, it is softer to sit in. I hope that it will soften further in the next week or two. You can definitely "squidge" the material more easily than the Epic.

A few points to note, obviously it is cheaper than the Epic, about £100 or so. And you can tell. I noticed straight away that the back rest doesn't align quite right. It took a lot of fiddling to get it somewhere near acceptable. It's still off kilt but you can't notice it now and I didn't have any trouble with the Epic. Unfortunately you're governed by the holes so you only have a small amount of play / wiggle room. Then when I pulled it up to the desk and sat in it I noticed the arms aren't in alignment. There's about an inch difference. So with the chair straight, the left arm is in line with the lip of the desk. The right arm, is set back by an inch. And both arms are pulled to the same position. Not the end of the world, but it is still a plus £200 chair. So I can see where the extra £100 goes in the Epic. I may be just unlucky, but the attention to detail seems slightly under par.

The fabric and stitching of the chair is fine, absolutely no problems. The tilt and height adjustment are all nice and smooth. So niggles aside I think yes, this chair does indeed have a softer base but I'm hoping it'll soften even more over time. So I'll certainly reply back in a week or two with how it is going.

Quick pics just for fun.

Nitro1.jpg

Nitro2.jpg

Associate
Thanks for the first impressions, helpful. Looks nice too.
Your setup / room looks clean and tidy
I see you have carpet, are the wheels generic for both carpet and hard floors, does it move around fairly easily ?
How solid is the chair - is it heavy, some of the office chairs I've used previously were extremely solid / heavy and difficult to lift.
How effective is the lumbar support too ?
look forward to update in a week or so

Ps - apologies for all the questions !

Soldato
OP

1. It does push/pull around fairly easy. I don't want to say glide, but definitely easier to manoeuvre than my old chair where I felt like it was a tug of war and you could hear the carpet underneath the wheels. This is almost silent. I'd still like to get a protector where I sit as the carpet is wearing.
2. Feels solid. Apart from those slight manufacturing niggles the overall robustness seems fine. No squeaks, rattles or wobbles. It is not heavy to operate when sitting in it. However, yes, it is heavy to lift especially when assembled.
3. I must admit, I've taken the lumbar cushion off. I'll try and see if I need it over the next week or so. For me, it didn't feel as nicely shaped as the one that came with the Epic but looking at the pictures they seem a similar shape. It felt very much like instead of supporting my posture it was pushing my stomach out. So I've removed it. Perhaps the Epic char has a slightly deeper recess in the backrest. The headrest cushion I only ever use when say, in a meeting or kicking back and I'm tilting backwards. Then I like to rest my head. Otherwise again I feel like it's pushing my neck forwards and it is uncomfortable. I'd rather just angle the backrest up straighter if I want more support. But nice to have the option to add/remove as you see fit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Associate

1. It does push/pull around fairly easy. I don't want to say glide, but definitely easier to manoeuvre than my old chair where I felt like it was a tug of war and you could hear the carpet underneath the wheels. This is almost silent. I'd still like to get a protector where I sit as the carpet is wearing.
2. Feels solid. Apart from those slight manufacturing niggles the overall robustness seems fine. No squeaks, rattles or wobbles. It is not heavy to operate when sitting in it. However, yes, it is heavy to lift especially when assembled.
3. I must admit, I've taken the lumbar cushion off. I'll try and see if I need it over the next week or so. For me, it didn't feel as nicely shaped as the one that came with the Epic but looking at the pictures they seem a similar shape. It felt very much like instead of supporting my posture it was pushing my stomach out. So I've removed it. Perhaps the Epic char has a slightly deeper recess in the backrest. The headrest cushion I only ever use when say, in a meeting or kicking back and I'm tilting backwards. Then I like to rest my head. Otherwise again I feel like it's pushing my neck forwards and it is uncomfortable. I'd rather just angle the backrest up straighter if I want more support. But nice to have the option to add/remove as you see fit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.
Look forward to an update in a week or so
I'm still trying to decide between this, or a refurb office chair - need one thats good for 8-10 hours a day and has good support etc

Soldato
OP
So I've been using the chair for nearly a week now and thankfully there have been no repeat "pain" issues in my legs or ass to report like I had with the Noble Epic chair. I still haven't found a need to use the lumbar cushion, I'm managing fine with the support that the back rest gives on its own. Things are looking promising! :)

Soldato
So I've been using the chair for nearly a week now and thankfully there have been no repeat "pain" issues in my legs or ass to report like I had with the Noble Epic chair. I still haven't found a need to use the lumbar cushion, I'm managing fine with the support that the back rest gives on its own. Things are looking promising! :)

That's good to know thanks

If you get chance can you let me know what the measurement is from the floor to the top of the arm please?

I need to know if it'll fit under my desk

Soldato
OP
That's good to know thanks

If you get chance can you let me know what the measurement is from the floor to the top of the arm please?

I need to know if it'll fit under my desk

Sure, so this is without me sitting in the chair (as that alters the readings). So just the chair as it stands on it's own:

chair low - arm low = 63cm
chair low - arm high = 70cm
chair high - arm low = 75cm
chair high - arm high = 82cm

Associate
Happy to hear the chair is working out for you, appreciate the update too
I just need to make a decision now and go with it, this back and forth between options is painful.
your comments and review might just sway me towards the nitro s3000
thanks

Soldato
Sure, so this is without me sitting in the chair (as that alters the readings). So just the chair as it stands on it's own:

chair low - arm low = 63cm
chair low - arm high = 70cm
chair high - arm low = 75cm
chair high - arm high = 82cm

Amazing thanks a lot that's really good of you, I'll measure up tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom