Gaming desktop to gaming laptop -any regrets?

Soldato
Due to life circumstances and losing my office space, I'm playing with idea of jacking in my desktop, superwide monitor for a gaming laptop that I can play anywhere around the house and take-up less space. As my partner knows it's a big sacrifice to my favourite hobby she will help fund a £2000 budget gaming laptop.
Has anyone gave up their desktop for a laptop, any regrets do you still get a good gaming experience or is it only tolerable?
Games I play is RTS (crusader kings 3, total war titles) and RPG (Witcher 3, isometric RPGs like divinity 2 and eventually baldurs gate 3).

Soldato
OP
I made this move and find it fine. I would advise getting a laptop with only a 1080p screen so that as long as it has a good gpu you will still be able to play games at ultra settings. On a laptop screen the 1080p resolution still looks really sharp. £2000 will get you a really good laptop with an rtx 3070

I've been looking at Ryzen laptops with 5800h CPUs and a 3070 graphics card. They do seem to have 1440p high refresh rate screens. Will that be an issue?

Soldato
OP
From my own research, a 3070 gaming laptop at 115w will give performance somewhere between a desktop 2070 and 2080. Achieving high frames at 1440p on demanding games will become increasingly difficult to achieve.

1080p at 15” does look quite sharp, but I imagine qhd will look really good if high frames aren’t vital.

Always games at 60hz never had high refresh monitors. Don't play competive FPS games so I don't think it matters for single player RTS and RPG games, I'm guessing. If I limit it to 60hz from the start and not try the higher refresh I'll never miss out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom