Gaming in a HTPC

Associate
Due to an impending arrival and limiting space at home I took the decision to sell my PC and replace it with a laptop (also scoring some brownie points with the wife).

However, I am already suffering from withdrawal symptoms as the laptop cannot play games that I thought I wouldn't miss (always the way I guess).

Now, because of the space issue, the only area I can put a new system would be in the spare shelf on my television stand. Initially I thought great, I can get an SFF rig and looked at the Silverstone Sugo SG01, however, this is too big and won't fit.

This leaves just one option, and thats to put it into a HTPC case, or basically, either the Antec Fusion or the Silverstone LC13b. Now, this is all good in theory, but will it actually work?

I am looking at a Q6600 (not overclocked) and probably an 8600/8000GT to go inside. Is this possible? Has anyone done it?

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Well the smaller you get, the more limited you get in terms of airflow. And in a gaming system that can be a killer.

Have you looked at the Silverstone Sugo SG03, Lian-Li V350, or the X-Qpack II? They're all capable gaming cases.

Associate
OP
Well the smaller you get, the more limited you get in terms of airflow. And in a gaming system that can be a killer.

Have you looked at the Silverstone Sugo SG03, Lian-Li V350, or the X-Qpack II? They're all capable gaming cases.

Both have been considered, but as I said in my opening post, the space is an issue. It has to be able to sit on the spare shelf on my tv stand and both those mentioned above wont.

Soldato
the lc13 is an old design that with poor airflow and small fans. the lc17 is the same size but far more flexible. if we can manage to fit quad core cpu's and 8800gtx's (and 4870's) then you should be able to fit anything you want in an lc17.

IMG_1119_small.jpg

IMG_1118_small.jpg

best value htpc case around.

Associate
OP
I've opted for the following spec now the wife has given me the green light to spend:

Asus P5N-E Motherboard (selected as have used this before, and the LC13 fits full ATX boards I believe)
Q6600 Processor cooled by a Zalman CNPS8700
Crucial Ballistix Ram
8800GT 512mb G/Card
Samsung Spinpoint 500gb H/Drive
Corsair 520w HX
Silverstone LC13

Anything glaringly wrong?

Soldato
best value htpc case around.

Couple of questions.

1. Are the case fans quiet - 2100rpm would be pretty noisy regarding the stock 120mm fans in my TJ08.

2. read a couple of reviews, they said you can fit 120mm fans in the front drive bays but the specs say 92mm.

3. is there room for a tall CPU cooler like say a Sythe Mine'.

If I like what I hear, I my well replace my Eclipse 62.

Last edited:
Associate
+1 for a gaming HTPC ;)

I moved my main rig into a HTPC case and haven't looked back, with the right cooler and case combo you are easily able to use high end components and even give them a good overclocking.

My case is a Thermaltake DH101, you can see in the first pic that when I originally set it up I used very little thought. In the second pic I upgraded a few things and changed the layout.

25674420uw6.jpg

33488895zw0.jpg

By taking out the HDD cage I now have better airflow and should be able to fit a extra long graphics card in. The HDD has been relocated to under the DVD drive (via brackets in the 5.25 slots)

Cooling is good with a quiet 120mm fan in the front, I took the 2 60mm fans out the back and replaced them with YS-Tech fans that are slowed down by the motherboard. I can run a E2160 passive at 2.4GHz and 3GHz with a fan on the Ninja, temps are very good in both situations.

87254233qs7.jpg

Next on the upgrade list is a modular psu and a 4870, I only use 2 sata connectors (DVD & HDD) so something like a Corsair 520w will get rid of a lot of the excess cables.

Associate
I've opted for the following spec now the wife has given me the green light to spend:

Asus P5N-E Motherboard (selected as have used this before, and the LC13 fits full ATX boards I believe)
Q6600 Processor cooled by a Zalman CNPS8700
Crucial Ballistix Ram
8800GT 512mb G/Card
Samsung Spinpoint 500gb H/Drive
Corsair 520w HX
Silverstone LC13

Anything glaringly wrong?

Looks pretty good to myself- id definitly get a 4850- much better card- check out the graphics card sub forum for benchmarks against nvidia cards.
Also if its possible go for a different cooler- the mini ninja is one of the best i believe- im not sure if therd be enough room though- that will have to be answered by one of the more experienced.
Hdd is spot on- good things been said about the samsungs
and the psu is a good choice especially as its modular- reducing cables and therefore improving airflow
how much ram are you going for?

Associate
OP
Looks pretty good to myself- id definitly get a 4850- much better card- check out the graphics card sub forum for benchmarks against nvidia cards.
Also if its possible go for a different cooler- the mini ninja is one of the best i believe- im not sure if therd be enough room though- that will have to be answered by one of the more experienced.
Hdd is spot on- good things been said about the samsungs
and the psu is a good choice especially as its modular- reducing cables and therefore improving airflow
how much ram are you going for?

Have looked at the 4850 and will probably swap to that, seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere.

As for the cooler, I might change that as well. I am torn between the LC17 and now thanks to Agr3sive's picks the Thermaltake case, and the Mini Ninja should fit in both.

Probably going to go for 4gb Ram, I have the 64bit Vista already from my last build.

Soldato
Love the look of james.millers silverstone case :)

I have an OriginAE H7 that is a similar design to that silverstone one, but isn't laid out brilliantly inside, i mean who wants to use 2 60mm fans on the back of a case nowdays?? :( should have done more research TBH but ah well, it looks cool and is workin ok, temps are ok etc

Soldato
Have looked at the 4850 and will probably swap to that, seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere.

As for the cooler, I might change that as well. I am torn between the LC17 and now thanks to Agr3sive's picks the Thermaltake case, and the Mini Ninja should fit in both.

Probably going to go for 4gb Ram, I have the 64bit Vista already from my last build.

Another vote for 4Gb RAM and a 4850

With Vista 64Bit 4Gb RAM is nice and gives a decent performance.

Soldato
I'd ditch the P5N-E for a P35 board eg. ASRock P35-1600 is £55 from most retailers and it is a much better platfrom that the ASUS.

Also - at £117 the HD4850 is the performance bargain of the century.

Back
Top Bottom