Gaming - Jerky graphics. Please help

Associate
Good day to all you forum readers out there. I seek your advice on a problem which has been plaguing my enjoyment of pc gaming for the best part of 18 months. My current gaming loves are Far Cry and, moreso in recent times, BF2.

My Problem: Very stuttery graphics during periods of relative calm and intense action periods during a game. This does not occur constantly throughout a given game but periodically during most games. I have updated my graphics and sound drivers to the latest versions in an attempt to cure this but to no avail. I have added various upgrades to my machine over the last 18 months in a move to play these games at the best resolution and highest detail possible. For example in BF2, I currently have all settings on High and 2 x AA. Resolution at 1280 x 1024 and refresh rate of 75. Even when I turn these settings down to lower resolution and selective Medium settings (AA knocked off), I still get the occasional jerky frame rates.

My PC specs:

Dell Dimension 8400 series machine
CPU: Intel Pentium 4. 3 Ghz (500 series I believe)
Mobo: Intel 925x chipset. Pci express
GPU: Nvidia XFX 7800GTX (Gamers edition - 475 Core clock speed)
Memory: 2 x 1 Gig sticks of Corsair XMS Ram - 667mhz speed (DDR2)
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Music
Hard Drive: 250 Gig Maxtor (not sure of speed but think 7200 rpm)
PSU: 500 Watt Bluestorm

In addition to the above specs I also have installed Panda Platinum Security product. (This was a must following a particularly nasty double clicker virus contracted which high-jacked my home page).

As you can see from above, the spec has evolved a fair bit from a standard Dell Dimension 8400 machine, though I accept that the Pentium 4 is hardly comparable to a decent AMD chip.

Fraps readings normally show a high position of circa 45 fps (best recored in BF2) at the high settings but a dip to (sometimes) 15 and below. Don't know how to call up average fps ratings!

Questions:
Are my upgrades potentially causing conflict with the unchanged parts of my Dell machine?
Are there known conflict issues with Panda Platinum security and gaming? (I have turned automatic updates off and knocked off the Windows Firewall).
My previous Memory was 1.5 Gig of Dell 533Mhz Ram (DDR2). The original Ram was half a gig of 400mhz Ram. Is my Ram too quick for the Motherboard?

You can tell from my questions that I (openly) know nothing about pc technology. I am trying to build/buy my way past these problems but they still persist. Having invested the price of a half decent AlienWare machine I'm loathe to throw more money at this now, but having said that, I do have some monies left in the slush fund to purchase new kit if it sorts the problem.

I would welcome all ideas - excluding anything to do with overclocking - as that scares the hell out of me! Am I being naive in thinking that my current spec should run these games comfortably at high(ish) settings???

Thanks in advance for any responses. ;)

Associate
OP
NeptuneUK - thanks for the swift response. Now to expose myself as a complete pc Noob - can you advise me of a programme to use for measuring CPU temperature? I would also think that given the size of the Dell Dimension 8400 casing - options for decent cooling upgrades would be somewhat limited? Was yours a Dell machine and therefore a midi casing?

I will investigate this as its a new avenue to explore. I will say however that my experience of jerky graphics can often take place well ahead of 30 mins play time :mad:

Thanks for your input ;)

Associate
OP
Thanx guys I'll give this a try - assuming my motherboard is supported by these programmes!! Going back to an earlier statement however, is it possible my cpu could be 'throttling in games only minutes (well within 15 mins) after booting the pc up?

Associate
OP
the stuttering can occur at various times throughout play. From beinning to end, ie several sporadic hits of it. I also believe it is more prevalent (in BF2) when things like artillery go off and tank noise is near - this was wht I upgraded from Audigy 2 card to latest sound card and driver. Hasn't made any difference though.

I also worry that I may be somewhat of a hostage to the Panda product as if I disable it (do you mean via msconfig, complete uninstall or other?), my double clicker virus may return! (or is it a case of now that Panda has dealt with it, its done and dusted?).

Really appreciate the input so far guys. I'll try all these things later. :)

Associate
OP
Interesting point re. Pentiums. My Pentium 4 is the the 3 Gig 500 series. Am I right in saying that this is the Northwood variety? I understood the 600 series to be the Prescott variation and I was interested in upgrading to these (the 650 version) as its compatible with my motherboard and has level 2 cache. Is there any real (gaming) benefit in this? To clarify, are we saying the (old) Northwood (if that is the 500 series) is a better gaming chip than the newer Prescotts.

Thanks for all your input so far guys. Looks like I've got a long road ahead to fix these issues!

Associate
OP
ok guys my final question(s) on this. Assuming I manage to uninstal my Panda security product, reformat my HD and improve the CPU cooling (which I plan to do via a new tower from NZXT and the Pro 7 arctic cooler), what are your considered opinions on the merits of upgrading my CPU to the Pentium 3.4Gig (650 series)?

When changing my tower, I will also be looking to buy a new Mobo and as I have the 7800GTX card, I will be looking for a good SLI (Pentium) compatible board as I will look to add a further xfx card in the future. As mentioned before, I'm not interested in the overclocking merits of the board as that scares the SH 1 T out of me, so I would be interested in a great board out of the box!

Thanks again for your input guys.

Back
Top Bottom