Gaming Laptop £1100 budget max

Associate
Hi all,

Looking at getting a gaming laptop for myself, budget £1100 max.

What is the best bang for buck i can get? I've seen an Acer Nitro 5 with an i7 and RTX3060 but during my research have come across that not all RTX3060's are "created equal" and that some dependant on laptop manufacturer will be more powerful.

Whats the best gaming laptop i can get for my money?

Thanks all

Man of Honour
Caporegime
Also The Erazor is 1440p 165hz while the Legion is 1080p 144hz.

Both full power GPUs. Thr Erazor would probably be my first choice, having said that I've got the Legion 5 Pro and the 3060 and QHD can be a little tricky to get good performance in in intensive titles. Warzone for instance really doesn't like QHD and 6GB of VRAM even using DLSS.

It should be better with the 8GB of the 3070 but if purely for gaming it might be easier to pair the 3070 with a FHD panel.

Soldato
Legion 5 3060 owner here too, honestly when I looked into all different laptops between 3060 vs 3070, the 3070 on average looked around 10-15% faster depending on title, some the difference was minimal, the main difference seemed to be down to the VRAM. Look at some Youtube vids to see.

I got my Legion 5 3060 with 17" 300nits FHD 144hz IPS screen and a 5600h for £790, the 3070 versions (Albeit with a better 5800h) are around £1150, to me it was just not worth the £350+ premium to have the 3070.

It runs really cool and quiet for a laptop too, been hammering Horizon ZD on it and it runs beautifully!

Caporegime
Legion 5 3060 owner here too, honestly when I looked into all different laptops between 3060 vs 3070, the 3070 on average looked around 10-15% faster depending on title, some the difference was minimal, the main difference seemed to be down to the VRAM. Look at some Youtube vids to see.

I got my Legion 5 3060 with 17" 300nits FHD 144hz IPS screen and a 5600h for £790, the 3070 versions (Albeit with a better 5800h) are around £1150, to me it was just not worth the £350+ premium to have the 3070.

It runs really cool and quiet for a laptop too, been hammering Horizon ZD on it and it runs beautifully!

Have you tried GPU undervolting? Got some decent results on my 5 Pro. Higher GPU boosts, lower power use and 10 degrees cooler.

Associate
OP
So my wife bought me the Erazer. Was given to me on Thursday for my birthday. Out of the box noticed an issue immediately that you'd need to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to get it to power on (i assumed this to be a "quirky feature".

Played some games, performance was lovely, especially coming from a 12 year old laptop with no dedicated GFX. Amazing gfx with high FPS. After about 6 hours use, a thin blue line and white vertical line across the screen was present on the screen as well as a separate dead pixel near the enter of the screen, "oh dear" i thought. Removed GFX drivers and reinstalled just incase and rebooted laptop. Laptop now fails to POST and just constantly restarts (doesnt get to windows etc, no BIOS screen). So after 6 hours use its going back as DOA and the wife has requested a full refund. Its a shame because when it worked it seemed good.

Wife is now ordering me an equivalent HP Omen 17 and she has more faith in the HPE brand than Medion.

Associate
So my wife bought me the Erazer. Was given to me on Thursday for my birthday. Out of the box noticed an issue immediately that you'd need to hold down the power button for about 10 seconds to get it to power on (i assumed this to be a "quirky feature".

Played some games, performance was lovely, especially coming from a 12 year old laptop with no dedicated GFX. Amazing gfx with high FPS. After about 6 hours use, a thin blue line and white vertical line across the screen was present on the screen as well as a separate dead pixel near the enter of the screen, "oh dear" i thought. Removed GFX drivers and reinstalled just incase and rebooted laptop. Laptop now fails to POST and just constantly restarts (doesnt get to windows etc, no BIOS screen). So after 6 hours use its going back as DOA and the wife has requested a full refund. Its a shame because when it worked it seemed good.

Wife is now ordering me an equivalent HP Omen 17 and she has more faith in the HPE brand than Medion.

Was it B-Grade?

Associate
Hi all,

Looking at getting a gaming laptop for myself, budget £1100 max.

What is the best bang for buck i can get? I've seen an Acer Nitro 5 with an i7 and RTX3060 but during my research have come across that not all RTX3060's are "created equal" and that some dependant on laptop manufacturer will be more powerful.

Whats the best gaming laptop i can get for my money?

Thanks all
I got the ACER Nitro 5 AN517-54 for under £1100. It's more than I would normally spend, and it doesn't help that I wanted a product that had self updated driver app. Acer's Care Center doesn't do that on mine.

Associate
Received my HP Omen 17. Fab bit of kit. Generally a much better feel of quality than the Medion.

How are you getting on with the Omen 17 (screen quality, thermals and noise) ? I’m looking to get a new gaming laptop and that’s near the top of my list.

Back
Top Bottom