Gaming laptop for £500-800?

Caporegime
Thinking of replacing my main desktop with a laptop as the PC on the whole needs an upgrade and given that I would need to spend around £400 just to get a proper upgrade for my GPU, it seems like it might be worthwhile just getting a laptop for a few hundred more that will have everything.

Been a long time since I looked at laptops, are they any good for proper gaming now? i.e. far cry 5, battlefield 1 and so on type of games (future games like the upcoming battlefield, anthem, metro exodus)? Obviously not expecting 4k ultra @ 60 fps but what about 1080P ultra/high @ a constant 60 fps?

Also, are AMD based laptops worth it now or is intel + nvidia setup still the way to go?

Won't be doing anything any time soon (as in 6-12 months) so can always wait if there is more tech. around the corner.....

EDIT:

Should note that I will be hooking it up to my monitor or/and oled tv, so don't need a fancy big screen, although would like it to be good quality for IQ. (would need a display port and HDMI port, or 2xHDMI ports)

Same with peripheral devices i.e. keyboard, mouse, speakers and headphones

Last edited:
Associate
Certainly for 1080p gaming at 60 fps a GTX 1060 would be the way to go, especually if you are looking at playing upcoming titles like Anthem.

Your price bracket is a bit of a stretch to get a 1060, if you increased it to £1000 you would have more options.

Caporegime
OP
Certainly for 1080p gaming at 60 fps a GTX 1060 would be the way to go, especually if you are looking at playing upcoming titles like Anthem.

Your price bracket is a bit of a stretch to get a 1060, if you increased it to £1000 you would have more options.

There are some dell refurbished models that have i7 and 1060 for only £860 so it seems like the best I'm going to get, really don't want to be spending £1000+ as I could just upgrade the main parts of my PC to be much more powerful and still have spare change.

Laptop is tempting for the here and now but the only thing that keeps putting me off is the lack of upgrade ability, at least for the GPU, 1060 is good enough for titles now but what about games in 2-3 years time..... I suppose it would be a lot easier to sell and upgrade to a new laptop every 2-3 years though.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Did you decide on a laptop @Nexus18 I'm also looking and have about £650/£700 to spend so interested in what your thoughts are, does the Dell outlet site still update around 3/4pm daily?

No not yet.

Don't think I'll bother with a "gaming" laptop and probably just get a basic laptop that will do the basics.

I just don't think a 1060 or even a 1070 laptop is going to be good enough for some of the titles due later in the year or next year such as anthem and BF 5.

No idea about the dell outlet site, they definitely seem to be the best you will get for your money though, that or something on the MM here.

Soldato
No not yet.

Don't think I'll bother with a "gaming" laptop and probably just get a basic laptop that will do the basics.

I just don't think a 1060 or even a 1070 laptop is going to be good enough for some of the titles due later in the year or next year such as anthem and BF 5.

No idea about the dell outlet site, they definitely seem to be the best you will get for your money though, that or something on the MM here.

No worries

Caporegime
OP
I think you are asking too much from your budget.

Thin/light/plays new AAA titles at a decent frame rate and quality will not be under a grand.

Would a laptop with a spec of 1050/1060 (might be able to get one with a 1070 too) + i7 + 16GB RAM @ 1080P not be pretty decent for gaming with medium/high settings @ 1080P with a constant 60 fps?

And by thin etc. I mean something that doesn't weigh a ton nor is thick, granted a laptop with a 1070 may be but what about 1050/1060 laptops???

Associate
Thinness & lightness in a gaming laptop, 1060 or otherwise, are premium features that come with a premium price tag. Along with smaller bezels to reduce overall footprint.

A Dell outlet Inspiron may be cheap but will not be thin/light/small bezel, there's a reason they are entry level (and price Dell's).

If you can live with some bulk/weight your best bang for buck for £700 would be very lucky and find an I7 with GTX 1070.

Good luck on the hunt :)

Caporegime
OP
Thinness & lightness in a gaming laptop, 1060 or otherwise, are premium features that come with a premium price tag. Along with smaller bezels to reduce overall footprint.

A Dell outlet Inspiron may be cheap but will not be thin/light/small bezel, there's a reason they are entry level (and price Dell's).

If you can live with some bulk/weight your best bang for buck for £700 would be very lucky and find an I7 with GTX 1070.

Good luck on the hunt :)

Won't say how, but I can get laptops for cheaper than "normal" buyers.

Caporegime
OP
Cheaper than distribution?

EDIT:

Right scrap the gaming laptop stuff, looking at more and more benchmarks of the 1060/1070 ones, FPS is good but as said in my first post, for future games, they won't be great and obviously can't upgrade the laptop so really would be better of still just getting dedicated PC hardware.

So what do you guys reckon for a good all round laptop, only requirements will be:

- at least 8GB RAM
- decent CPU
- great screen (don't care for 4k, would need to be at least 14" screen and to be IPS)
- stylish and portable i.e. light and doesn't take up a huge amount of room
- decent battery life would be nice
- storage wise, not a huge issue, preferably at least 1TB would be nice though (got a couple of spare SSD's lying around too, which I could always use)

Will be purely for business/work use now.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Yeah been looking for AMD based laptops but not seeing many decent ones let alone much choice :/

That Huawei one looks decent though. What are huawei like for laptops in general?

Back
Top Bottom