Gaming Laptop Suggestion

Associate
Hi, looking for some advice on what Laptop to Order, I’m looking for the following;

- £2500 ish budget
- 17” Screen
- 1070 or 1080 Graphics Card
- 4K IPS Screen

I had an Asus Rog G751 that had a 1080p TN display I think, and it didn’t look up to much, since then I’ve had a Surface Book with a 3000x2000 Res IPS Screen and it looks so much better so unless you can convince me less than 4K on 17” looks great now?

I’ve seen the 1070GTX Aorus Laptop on Overclockers for £2400 which looks great but for £2500 I can order a 17” Alienware with 1080 which has less ram and smaller SSD but I have a 1tb SSD ready to go in so that isn’t a killer. Both have 4K screens.

So has anyone got any other recommendations or info?

Thanks!

Associate
OP
Last
Unfortunately you need to keep checking as they go fast.
couple of things;

1. What’s condition like on these things? Typically good?
2. I keep reading the Alienware 17 R4 is crazy loud? How loud is loud? Can’t concentrate on a Game loud or?

Soldato
1. Depends, I’ve had a few that are immaculate.
2. It’s fairly loud under load. I couldn’t hear it when using the Rift VR on my R4 1080, my last MSI was much louder, too loud.

Associate
OP
1. Depends, I’ve had a few that are immaculate.
2. It’s fairly loud under load. I couldn’t hear it when using the Rift VR on my R4 1080, my last MSI was much louder, too loud.
How does the QHD display TN perform? Does it look good for a TN display or? Not overly been impressed with them in past.

I have a Asus Rog 27” 144hz Display which is okay but nowhere as nice as IPS displays I’ve used.

Associate
OP
Ended up with Alienware 17 R4 with the following specs;
I purchased new, ended up getting a good deal as far as i could tell, £2500 and that included their 17" Backpack which is usually £100 ish. When i looked at the outlet, you was paying like £2000 (Once VAT is added) for one with a QHD display and 256GB SSD. So for £400 i guess i got a brand new laptop, 1TB SSD and 4K display. Pays to ring them up! Gave me an extra 3% off even though i'd hammered all the offers i could on their site.

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK Processor (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocking up to 4.4GHz )
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
LCD
17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits, w/ NVIDIA G-SYNC, Enabled with Tobii
Memory
32GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x16GB)
Hard Drive
1TB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Associate
That's a pretty amazing set up you have there Heroin! I am impressed!

What's the most graphically demanding game you've played on it do far and how does it hold up on Max, or close to Max, settings?

Associate
OP
That's a pretty amazing set up you have there Heroin! I am impressed!

What's the most graphically demanding game you've played on it do far and how does it hold up on Max, or close to Max, settings?

It’s not being delivered until 19th Ish :(

Man of Honour
Ended up with Alienware 17 R4 with the following specs;
I purchased new, ended up getting a good deal as far as i could tell, £2500 and that included their 17" Backpack which is usually £100 ish. When i looked at the outlet, you was paying like £2000 (Once VAT is added) for one with a QHD display and 256GB SSD. So for £400 i guess i got a brand new laptop, 1TB SSD and 4K display. Pays to ring them up! Gave me an extra 3% off even though i'd hammered all the offers i could on their site.

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7-7820HK Processor (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Overclocking up to 4.4GHz )
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
LCD
17.3 inch UHD (3840 x 2160) 60Hz IPS Anti-Glare 400-nits, w/ NVIDIA G-SYNC, Enabled with Tobii
Memory
32GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x16GB)
Hard Drive
1TB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Hi mate,

Could you send me a trust message as I wanted to ask you a couple of quick questions if that's ok?

Associate
OP
Dell have been useless so far, while they might have been helpful up until handing money over, it soon changed when its comes to preparing and producing the machine to ship out. Laptop is stuck in pre-production in their china factory, due to some part shortage supposedly. While my estimated delivery date is still the 19th i'm certain that isn't happening and will be lucky to have it before Christmas.

Everytime i speak to their customer services they seem to fob me off and don't have any specific info as to why they're struggling to manufacture my laptop spec. Now im being told i should have it by the end of next week but I'm not holding my breath. So tempted to cancel the order, but not come across another laptop for the money that ticks the boxes that the Alienware does. The Auros is a good £900 more for a weaker spec machine.

Associate
OP
That's not good, hopefully it's just a short term hiccup?

I'm still considering the deal you got, if I don't find anything else I'll be hassling Dell for the same package :)

Apparently it’s a shortage on the 4K Display, looking to be shipped out on or after 22nd and they advise 7 - 10 business days from their China’s Factory to UK so probably end up with it a week or so into new year? :/

I really want to cancel and buy an Auros but the price difference is huge for a worse spec laptop.

Associate
OP
If you can wait for it, then personally I would, you're getting a much better spec for less money, that won't come around again :)

Very true, I don’t mind the wait, I just don’t like to be strung along without a target in sight, half of me is certain the 22nd will come and it won’t get sent, but we’ll see and keep post updated.

Back
Top Bottom