Gaming monitor questions

Associate
I currently have a 19" CRT which I love but it's a real pain to move it around so I want a TFT. It will primarily be used for games so it's important to me that the performance is comparable to CRT.

I've got a few questions:

1. why is widescreen cheaper?

2. how is widescreen for gaming? is it a real pain with the resolution? I don't care about watching films but everything I see is widescreen this widescreen that, why?

3. is there a good cheap monitor that I can buy (<£150)?

4. do YOU think I should keep carrying this backbreaking CRT around and save up for a good TFT in a few years that I'll be happy with, or shall I just get a cheap TFT now when I need one but I might be disappointed with it

uhm thanks sorry for stupid questions :)

C64

C64

Soldato
First off theres so much hype about panel lottery's
and gaming performance ghosting & backlight bleed surrounding tft screens i myself am sucked in to all this hype.
Afraid to say it but you just won't get crt gaming performance
from any tft i think a lot of people have started their pc lives
straight into tft and therefore will recommend something that
just isn't going to impress you.
Widescreen is supported by most recent games and works well
i wouldn't worry about that too much.

I don't think it's worth getting a £150 panel at the moment
maybe go even cheaper like £100 maybe even the OcUK Value AH191DPB 19" and just keep that until
you can afford a decent high quality large tft you could always keep this
budget model for dual screen which is a bonus.
But £150 is not going to get you close to crt performance imo.
The main contenders seem to be in the 20"-22" widescreen market
Samsung SM-226BW
LG L226WTQ
Dell Ultrasharp 2007WFP 20"

The samsung screen seems to be a bit of a lottery as to the quality
of screen you might get.But is good for gaming.
The Lg many people are happy with yet some say it has a blue tint but
again good for gaming.
The dell is a higher quality panel which means better viewing angles and colours yet isn't as great when it comes to gaming.
My advice is to stick with the crt and wait for the next generation of 20-22"
panels.
I am in the same position i own an iiyama vision master crt and i know
the transition to tft is going to be a hard pil to swallow as i play a lot of fps
and know it's not going to be as good.
If i had to pick any of the above right now i would get the lg if i wanted value for money over looks the samsung if i wanted good looks and good performance and the Dell if i wanted the best angles colors sharpness.

Last edited:
Soldato
You know with that sort of budget I'd be temped just to save a fortune and get something like the 22" Hyundai-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-053-HY&groupid=17&catid=510&subcat=

I haven't heard any feedback about it yet - maybe do a forum search - but boy that's good value. It's a lot of screen for £160 when I paid £300 for a 20". You can probably accept a few minor defects in a screen that cheap, and TBH you're not guaranteed to have no defects by paying a lot more. A £400+ 2407WFP can easily come with dead pixels and backlight bleed afterall.

Back
Top Bottom