gaming mouse, worth it?

Soldato
As title. I started a thead here regarding getting a new keyboard and mouse and I decided on the "logitech MX310", but would a gaming mouse be a better bet than the MX310 for general use and gaming? I was looking at the "saitek 1200 dpi laser" gaming mouse, would this be a better choice? I've always used mice about the £5-£10 price range, so would I see a significant increase in performance and would it make gaming easier/more fun? I really don't want to spend too much, say £30 max.
Thanks.

Associate
I know people are going to shout about how wrong i am after reading this but here goes :p

Up till recently like yourself i've always used cheap mice, my last one was an optical cordless one that came as a cordless keyboard and mouse package which cost me £15. A few weeks ago i got a Razer Copperhead mouse and to be honest i'm not really seeing any improvement at all, even after fiddling with all the settings on the Razer software.

For me personally i would say that spending the money i did on this mouse was a waste.

Loads of people swear by gaming mice and go on about how great they are, but i just dont see it to be honest.

Zeph.

Associate
heh

well I think opposite to Zeph :)

I have been using a G5 for the last few months and its fantastic - adding the full weight cartridge to the mouse makes it really solid which feels much better especially if you play fps type games

Am

Soldato
me2, i spent £50 :eek: on my Copperhead, and am not looking back at all :)

in short, many of the people on here would say that is worth it, but a select few may not.

Soldato
the way i see it is its not the mouse ... its tjhe person using it. it wont make you a better gamer over night... BUT
its damn nice to have a decent mouse for simple browsing and so on... i mean really - having soemhting that fits comfortable in your hand, and that has plenty of features to help you browse etc it just great.... even if it gosts you 55 quid !
Rick

Soldato
R B CUSTOMS said:
the way i see it is its not the mouse ... its tjhe person using it. it wont make you a better gamer over night... BUT
its damn nice to have a decent mouse for simple browsing and so on... i mean really - having soemhting that fits comfortable in your hand, and that has plenty of features to help you browse etc it just great.... even if it gosts you 55 quid !
Rick
i second that, i don't think a higher dpi will help so much but the ergonomics of the mouse will. Also the quality of the mouse will affect gameplay because, like the mouse on my dell pc, sometimes the mouse pointer may flicker randomly across the screen or the buttons decide to not work etc.

Gaming mice are well built and worth it imo. Especially something along the lines of an MX510 which come at a great price :)

Soldato
I just got a MX518 from a generic mouse, and the first thing I noticed was the comfort of it, it molds perfectly to my hands. I can now do some photoshop work (freehand) that I have been wanting to do, but couldn't with my old mouse, as I couldn't do curves. I think it was worth it, not too sure on the £50 ones though.

Zeph, are you using a mouse pad? If not thats your problem.

Associate
pieman109 said:
Whats the main difference between the MX510 and the MX310 mate? I like the look and the price is good too, or would the the logitech MX518 be a better bet?

The Mx 310 isn't really a "gaming" mouse so to speak, I think. The ergonomics are different (left and right handed) and it only has one side button. There's probably a difference under the hood as well.

The MX 510 is a nice mouse, and two side buttons instead of one makes a big difference. Having Primary or pistol on a button press is very convenient, especially in games like BF2 where pressing it again changes the fire mode. Or bound to grenades in COD2 etc. etc. The scroll buttons beside the wheel are nice for long documents as well and i hate being without it when internet browsing for the back/forward functionality.

I can't say what difference the extra performance of the 518 makes, and if it's worth the price though.

I might invest in a mousemat, currently using my desk, which works fine, but a mat would be nice. It would have to be Huge to suit my tastes though. Those QPads look about the right size :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know a of ppl here are recommending the MX510, but its not for sale here, can't find it at all, just the MX518. I could buy from a different source, but I'd rather give ocuk me dosh than someone else.

Associate
The MX310 is an excellent mouse; uses the same optics as the MX510 iirc. I use the IE 3.0, not really a gaming mouse and it only has 400dpi but im pretty good with it. I'll only change mice when both my IE's die on me.

Soldato
pieman109 said:
I know a of ppl here are recommending the MX510, but its not for sale here, can't find it at all, just the MX518. I could buy from a different source, but I'd rather give ocuk me dosh than someone else.

Oh didn't realise they'd stopped selling the MX510, I suppose it is fairly old now though and newer better ones are about. I would get the 518 instead then. Its exactly the same shape and feel as the 510 but its got extra buttons for changing the sensitivity while gaming... you can probably rebind those to something else though if you don't want that feature.

The 510 isn't in the B-Grade/Clearance section is it? Can't seem to get that section to open here at the moment...

Associate
I use a Microsoft wireless optical and it's the best mouse I have ever had. It's comfortable in the hand and feels solid to use :)

Last edited:
Associate
Zeph, are you using a mouse pad? If not thats your problem.

Yeah i'm using a pad, although its a pad that i bought for my old optical mouse. I've tried with and without it (smooth desktop surface) and i dont see any difference.

Another point with the razer copperhead is that every time i reboot the comp sticks and needs to be reset manually with the reset button to get it going, completely up to date firmware and software.

Zeph.

Last edited:
Associate
G5 and steelpad S&S, never ever considered being annoyed at spending the money, a m8 got the mx510 at same time, it is nice and a good cheaper alternative but you just cant beat the smoothness of the g5.
Only problem which is a big one is whenever i use any other pc the mouse winds me up :D

Associate
I find the 510 good but my mx1000 is the dogs danglers and it's cordless with ample buttons which seem to be lacking on a lot of the latest 'gaming' mice :cool:

Soldato
Street said:
Oh didn't realise they'd stopped selling the MX510, I suppose it is fairly old now though and newer better ones are about. I would get the 518 instead then. Its exactly the same shape and feel as the 510 but its got extra buttons for changing the sensitivity while gaming... you can probably rebind those to something else though if you don't want that feature.

The 510 isn't in the B-Grade/Clearance section is it? Can't seem to get that section to open here at the moment...
I don't think they've stopped selling it, i've often found that some products come and go on their website. It should be back ;)

It's not in the clearance section btw.

Soldato
I went from a standard mouse and got myself a Razor Copperhead when they very first came out and it did make a difference. I play a lot of Counter Strike Source and after fiddling with the software settings my aim improved without a doubt.
I know its only a mouse and people say well how can it help with aim'img etc but until you try one I cant really explain it but for me it was well worth it and id never go back.

Back
Top Bottom