Gaming on OpenSUSE Leap 15.1

Soldato
I've been running OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 for a couple of days now, and it has been rock solid. Initially, I was going to use a virtual machine and run Windows 10 in it, but after thinking about it, I might try and game on Linux.

The only problem is that I've never gamed on Linux before so I'm a complete newbie. What I want to do is install Steam and then try out some of the games that have a Linux native port available. I can always screw around with Wine later to try and get Windows games working on OpenSUSE Leap 15.1, but for the moment I'll stick to games with a Linux port.

Permabanned
It's as easy as installing Steam through your package manager. Steam also has "Proton" for playing Windows only games on Linux. It's their own implementation of Wine (I think) with patches and stuff. So you really shouldn't need a stand alone install of wine unless you're using a game that can't be launched through Steam.

https://www.protondb.com/

The proton database lists games, how they perform on which distros and people can comment how to get around problems.

Edit: Forgot to add, you will need to choose which version of Proton to use in your steam settings... for example, I play L4D and L4D2 on Linux. L4D is a Windows only game. It won't run properly unless I'm using a specific proton version which has to be set in Steam settings. I'm not at home right now, or in front of my machine, so can't tell you which.

But the above is just to point out that when playing Window only games on Linux, you will probably have to do some tweaking to make them run right (similar story with Dawn Of War on my machine). The Linux ports of Valve games pretty much all run perfectly on my gaming machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It's as easy as installing Steam through your package manager. Steam also has "Proton" for playing Windows only games on Linux. It's their own implementation of Wine (I think) with patches and stuff. So you really shouldn't need a stand alone install of wine unless you're using a game that can't be launched through Steam.

https://www.protondb.com/

The proton database lists games, how they perform on which distros and people can comment how to get around problems.

Edit: Forgot to add, you will need to choose which version of Proton to use in your steam settings... for example, I play L4D and L4D2 on Linux. L4D is a Windows only game. It won't run properly unless I'm using a specific proton version which has to be set in Steam settings. I'm not at home right now, or in front of my machine, so can't tell you which.

But the above is just to point out that when playing Window only games on Linux, you will probably have to do some tweaking to make them run right (similar story with Dawn Of War on my machine). The Linux ports of Valve games pretty much all run perfectly on my gaming machine.

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't been using my laptop as much as I normally do recently.

I've had a chance to play around with this some more and can say that Stardew Valley works perfectly under Linux.I'm very impressed. I've also installed Hearts of Iron 4 and am hoping to give that a bit of a go sometime soon. The game I really want to install though is Elder Scrolls Online but I don't own that on Steam. I only have the standalone version so it looks like I'll need to install Wine to get that up and running.

Permabanned
Check out the wine gaming subreddit on Reddit. I know ESO downloaded through Steam works fine with Proton and you can link your ESO account with your Steam account... but they'll be able to help you with a standalone install with wine and it's issues.

Soldato
OP
Check out the wine gaming subreddit on Reddit. I know ESO downloaded through Steam works fine with Proton and you can link your ESO account with your Steam account... but they'll be able to help you with a standalone install with wine and it's issues.

Thanks. Will do. I don't mind playing around to get it working as it is a good learning experience for me.

Back
Top Bottom