Gaming PC in loft - long cables to desk in another room.

Associate
Hi guys, I'm thinking about situating my gaming PC in my uncoverted loft as away of removing a hot and noisy box from the small room that I play games in. My plan is to run long USB and HDMI cables into the the room with my desk so that I have my monitor, mouse keyboard, speakers, etc as per usual. The box itself will be located above the room in the loft.

My concern is about condensation; a hot box in a freezing cold winter loft space - is it likely to cause signifigant condensation that could adversly affect roof timbers etc?

Does anyone here have any advice here or have done anything similar? it all seems to good to be true - gaming in blissful silence and zero heat issues.

Associate
OP
Thanks very much for your input guys, the power switch will be located in the office, near to where the vertical section of trunking will run. I've already thought of that :) I dont think I'll need that many leads, 1 usb lead with repeater can connect me to a hub... which I can connect my mouse, keyboard, headphones, etc to.

I'm not sure I'm overly concerned about an increased fire hazard as I routinely leave my PC switched on all day when I'm at work and no one is in the house.

The loft is at least reasonably clean and fully boarded out, the PC will sit on a shelf halfway up the gable... the case has dust filters which would need cleaning every so often I guess.

I thought about upgrade/diagnostic access but in all honesty, I probably only need physical access every 6 months or so.

Associate
OP
Thanks again for all the input guys, now I'm really undecided - there seems to be as many people saying 'go for it' as there are saying 'don't do it!' LOL

I was a bit worried at the number of people suggesting a potential fire hazard - it wasn't something I'd considered to be honest, I've not only been a PC enthusiast all my life, but I've worked in IT, where I've built and repaired perhaps hundreds of PCs over the last 15 years and have never come across - or heard a report of - a PC which had actually combusted. Many's the time I've seen a PSU blow with a bang and a little puff of smoke, but never with naked flames emitting. I'm not saying it's not possible, but surely (during normal, sensible operation) the risk of this happening is absolutely miniscule - I'm more likely to be hit by a car, right?

It made my concerned about my rig even in its current location - I pretty much leave it turned on all day when I'm at work and have done years - surely the fire-risk is as great in my study when no one is in the house as it is in the loft... ?

Anyway, I appreciate the tip. For the money - peace of mind pay-off: I'll be fitting a smoke alarm.

Back
Top Bottom