Gaming Rig Check (approx 2k)

Associate
Hi all,

So my current gaming rig is starting to show its age, built it back sometime around 2011, and its finally reached the point where it struggles with some games such as PlayerUnknown Battleground even on low settings.

I decided given its age its not worth upgrading it, and better to build myself a nice new machine. I'm looking to spend roughly £2k though its not a strict budget (I've already went above on my initial selection hehe).

So far I've been eyeing up a AMD Ryzen and 1080 Ti, and I've came up with the following:

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £2,071.61
(includes shipping: £11.70)

Edit: Replaced EVO SSD with M.2, 750W PSU with 650W, cheaper sound card.
Edit: Replaced M.2 with NVMe version, removed sound card.

I still need to pick out a case before purchasing, and I'll also need to get myself a nice G-Sync monitor but that can wait for now. The reason for the sound card is the mobo doesn't have an optical port which I use to connect my Siberia 800's.

So I was just hoping someone could give it a quick check over and let me know their thoughts, suggestions for alternative components and a case (windowed) would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice, I'll adjust the build to use a 650W power supply and the M2.

I think the sound card will be needed as the motherboard doesn't include an optical port which is required by my Siberia 800's for surround sound, otherwise its limited to stereo from what I've read.

Associate
OP
Edited my original post with your recommendations. Also picked a sound card which was half the price of the previous one and still does what I need.

Soldato
Edited my original post with your recommendations. Also picked a sound card which was half the price of the previous one and still does what I need.

If you are going with the 850 EVO then the SATA version is just as fast as the M.2 one. As I mentioned above it would need to be one of the NVMe Samsung if you wanted something with a faster read/write speed. They are a bit more expensive though.

Total: £238.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Soldato
Thanks for the advice, I'll adjust the build to use a 650W power supply and the M2.

I think the sound card will be needed as the motherboard doesn't include an optical port which is required by my Siberia 800's for surround sound, otherwise its limited to stereo from what I've read.

That board has an Optical S/PDIF connector at the rear of the board. I don't know if that is what you need to connect your headphones but it is worth checking first before splashing out on a soundcard.

Audio ROG SupremeFX S1220 8-Channel high-definition CODEC - Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback* - High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input - Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs - ES9023P High Definition DAC - SupremeFX Shielding Technology - Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, and Front Panel Jack-retasking - Optical S/PDIF out port at back panel Audio Feature: - Sonic Studio III - Sonic Radar III *Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio

Associate
OP
That board has an Optical S/PDIF connector at the rear of the board. I don't know if that is what you need to connect your headphones but it is worth checking first before splashing out on a soundcard.

Audio ROG SupremeFX S1220 8-Channel high-definition CODEC - Supports up to 32-Bit/192kHz playback* - High quality 120 dB SNR stereo playback output and 113 dB SNR recording input - Impedance sense for front and rear headphone outputs - ES9023P High Definition DAC - SupremeFX Shielding Technology - Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, and Front Panel Jack-retasking - Optical S/PDIF out port at back panel Audio Feature: - Sonic Studio III - Sonic Radar III *Due to limitations in HDA bandwidth, 32-Bit/192kHz is not supported for 8-Channel audio

Perfect can't believe I missed that, had scanned over the ports but must have missed it, Thanks.
If you are going with the 850 EVO then the SATA version is just as fast as the M.2 one. As I mentioned above it would need to be one of the NVMe Samsung if you wanted something with a faster read/write speed. They are a bit more expensive though.

Thanks, I'll consider that one, saving a little with not needing a sound card so could divert than to a better SSD.

Soldato

Yeah that's what I was talking about. Should have been a bit more clear in my words :D

Back
Top Bottom