Gaps between wall and floor

Soldato
First post here guys. Currently doing up my granddad's old house and as I don't have an ounce of DIY competence in me, it is proving very expensive :p

We are having a new kitchen fitted next week. However, before the units are fitted I want to ensure that the room is as draft proof as possible.

At the moment, as can be seen in the below pictures, there is a fair gap between the floorboards and walls. Whilst some of these areas will be covered by the base units, others will only be covered once the Karndean floor has been laid and skirting boards fitted. However, I want to get the gaps filled even behind the base units as the room has apparently always been pretty cold.

What is the best way to go about this? I had thought expanding foam but given what I have said already about my knowledge, I felt I should check!

20140919_082050.jpg

20140919_082056.jpg

Would be grateful for the assistance, thanks.

Last edited:
Small bit of expanding foam would do it, they used some on the joint in one of my old houses, not sure if its the correct procedure or not but it did work

Something like this?

I think the decorator used this between the skirts and the floor in one of the bedrooms. Some of the gaps, as you can see, look to be quite big though. Certainly bigger than the ones that were in the bedroom.

Do you think the silicone which looks to apply at 6mm could be doubled up in those areas?

I wouldn't use silicone for large gaps like that, it's a right faff to do large gaps (from experience!)

Expanding foam is one option but surely once skirting boards or wall units are on then this would cover the areas anyway? Not sure I would put it around the gap for radiator pipes as it could well melt. Otherwise surely the flooring would cover this up?

Proper insulation, sealed double glazing, gaps under doors or drafts from low voltage light fittings would be more of a concern for me as far as drafts are concerned.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

The main bits I'm concerned with are those that will be behind the units and therefore won't have a skirt around. This means that there will be that gap between wall and floor, albeit behind the base units but still letting in colder air than is necessary to.

The parts which will have a skirting board as you say can just be sealed easily when it comes to fitting them.

I really don't think you have to worry about them, the gap doesn't look big enough to let that much in. It's still good to have some kind of ventilation anyway for preventing damp.

Difficult to gauge how big the gaps actually are but for the larger bits expanding foam will do the trick. Once its expanded you can cut off the expanded bit that is this side of the hole so the skirting etc will fit flush. For the smaller bits just run a line of decorators caulk over it and smooth with a wet finger.

expanding foam will no doubt just pump in and fall down into the floor cavity. I'd just continue the skirting around the room and notch the plinths around it. Always a good idea to block it off to stop creepy crawlies getting in. Or in my case slugs found their way in between the DPM and the wall.

Back
Top Bottom