garage door from overhead to hinge

Associate
Hi all, first post here.

After reading some good advice on here, thought I'd give it a go.

I have this double garage with a door that opens overhead, inward. I want to repurpose the place and would like to have the door open outward, sitting on hinges rather than the rails along the ceiling, which I would really really love to get rid of. I plan to use resin fixings to install the hinges and add one or two gate wheels to soften the weight on the hinges.

Impossible to know the weight of the door but it's aluminium (or at least looks it) and can't imagine being that overly heavy, but it is almost 4m wide.

Can resin fixings take that sort of weight? Hinges will be fixed on brick wall to the side of the door. Planning on using resin capsules with M12 internal thread rods. Probably 3 hinges (3-4 holes each). Know of strong resin capsules that can hold decent weight?

Can this be done, or is this plan really stupid? Just looking for go - no go with the plan.

Is this overkill? Or will good ol' m12 pulgs and bolts with proper hinges just do the job?

Thank you all.

Pete

Last edited:
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I did, but poses the same issue: covering the ceiling which is what I want to avoid.

Mine rolls up into box above door, doesn't cover any of the ceiling which I didn't want.
Ah! Right, of course!

Thing is, I would love to avoid having to buy another door... and then of course, an entire new installation and so on...

Last edited:
So, I was thinking of adding one or two gate castors to the end opposite the hinges. They should hold about 100kg each. That should take away some of the weight from the hinges/wall/resin bolts I rekon?

Last edited:
sure, but was hoping to take the easy and cheaper option of using what I already have.

Roller not an option as there's no space for the box.

Hinged, I've considered the one I have, diy wooden, two hinged, half fixed / half slider, triple glazed sliders... more or less everything. Even brick laying the opening so I can use the space.

The option I was considering was £60 while buying half decent doors for that width is nothing less than £1500. Plus having to dispose of the one I have.

But anyway, all good comments and recommendations, so thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom