Garage have wrecked my car

Associate
I dropped my car off this morning at a local garage to get the cambelt and water pump replaced. I supplied the parts.

I get a phone call at about 4pm to say that the parts must have been faulty because when they've gone to start the car, the crank pulley bolt has snapped, in turn bending at least 4 valves!

When I get to the garage, I asked the mechanic what torque did he use on the bolt and he replied "150nm" so I googled what the correct torque should be and it's only 40nm plus 90deg!!!

To say I'm fuming is a understatement. The garage will obviously be repairing the damage, but I don't have much faith in their abilities now! I'm just glad I asked what torque setting he used as i think trying to claim on the manufactures warranty would have been a nightmare.

I just hope I get the car back as good as it went in.

Associate
OP
They've just said they will sort it. I'm leaving work early tomorrow to go down there and find out the extent of the damage. I will ask for it in writing that any work carried out comes out of their pocket.

Associate
OP
Phoned the garage this morning, they want the bolt assessed by an engineer to see if it was faulty. I sense this is not going to end well. It snapped because it was over torqued, not because it was faulty!

Associate
OP
Phew. Engineer agreed the bolt had been over tightened and they've taken full responsibility. I'm going to go in after work and get pictures of the head to see if it's damaged.

Associate
OP
Hello again.

I didn't want to update until I got the car back.

Upon taking the head off there was more damage than they first thought, so a replacement engine with lower mileage was fitted, complete with new cambelt and water pump! They even replaced a broken coil spring which I didn't know about.

I'm happy with the result, and there was no bill for me to pay for the original work.

Associate
OP
No, no need to name and shame. I'm very happy with the outcome. I have a lower mileage engine and feel the garage have done everything they can to put it right.

Back
Top Bottom