Garlic Puree

Soldato
Does anyone own a mini chopper/processor and could tell me if it's any good for making garlic/ginger/curry pastes in relatively small quantities e.g. a single bulb of garlic.

There's lot of models available that look like they might do the job, but I'm not sure if the blades are low enough in the machine to puree smaller quantities.

Soldato
OP
Get one of those hand crusher.

http://www.kuhnrikonshop.com/product/epicurean-garlic-press

Used this for years best press ever. Works in a busy kitchen all staff use it. Add small bit of salt and work it amazing paste.

I’m really hoping for something that means I don’t have to get my hands smelly. Also something I can use for ginger and curry pastes which I don’t think a hand press can do?

We buy Ginger / Garlic paste in pots....

I’ve tried the stuff in pots/tubes and for some reason I find it never quite packs the same punch as freshly pressed.

Soldato
OP
I've got a normal type one that i think you're looking for, but it's not great for small quantities as like you say the blades don't get to the bottom/the edges.

Could you not make in batches and freeze?

Is it something like this?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-MMR0...&qid=1534858053&sr=8-13&keywords=mini+chopper

For £28 I thought what the hell and ordered to give it a try. I'll report back :)

I was thinking if the blades aren't quite low enough I might be able to use a small amount of water or oil to top it up...

Soldato
OP
We use a garlic press too. Have done for years. Just pop a clove in whole (no need to remove skin), crush it into the pan, then use the tip of a knife to pull the skin out. Voila, no garlic hands. Easy.

I’m regularly crushing 5-10 cloves at a time though. It’s difficult not to get a fair amount on you fingers. I’ve tried most things, steel soap etc which help but I still get that garlicy smell in the morning when washing my hair, or in meeting 3 days later.

Soldato
OP
it literally takes 10 seconds to throw some ginger into a food processor and whizz it up. i leave skin on. the wife will run a peeler over them if she's doing it.

so i don't see the point in buying frozen. when you can have fresh within 2 minutes.

garlic is a bit trickier as you need to peel it. you can use 2 metal bowls to rattle the skin off them in seconds. or a rubber roller to get the skin off quick. again it takes 2 mins to make some. i don't see why anyone wouldn't use fresh.

i find they are okay but their motor does go after a couple of years. i can usually smell burning off them when making pakora sauce, etc. they are okay for garlic but onions and ginger can be tough. may need to throw in some oil to help it or chop them up a bit before throwing them in so it's not as chunky.

Mind arrived yesterday. Obvs couldn't resist trying out right away. One large bulb, large chunk of ginger, and a single chilli seem to bend well. It's larger than I thought though. It probably would just about blend smaller amounts but you'd have to keep opening it up and mixing the chunks back in. Opening is a pain as it has a seal for blending liquids.

I did add some oil, which helped.

Fingers are still smelly this morning. I think I'm just going to have to accept defeat on that front.

All in all I'd give it a 6-7/10

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom