Gas Barbecue

Associate
I know there is a big barbecue thread somewhere but cant find it. Anyway ive been looking around for a gas barbecue for summer obviously but also for all year round cooking so i dont stink the house out when cooking steaks or fish. All research says go for a weber so just a heads up for anyone looking homebase have reduced there weber's (there are non online just instore so phone around) and i got a weber E-310 for £199 (Around £500 on the web) which has got to be a great deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
What is a real Bbq and why?

Who gas vs coal. If it's not coal it's not a real BBQ apparently. Buy the Weber. I have one and they are great. Spur of the moment steak or fish, it's up and running n seconds. Raining? Who cares. All day bbq? Gas a lot easier to manage over long periods.

Coal has its place mind you. But for a convenience factor gas all the way.

Don
Gas bbqs are basically a grill that's outside. Without the addition of smokers etc you don't the same BBQ taste from food that a real BBQ gives.

Agreed. A gas BBQ is pretty pointless.

They're not though? Once the lid is down, and the fat is dripping and turning into smoke, what difference is there?

Charcoal shouldn't impart any taste on the food - if you want flavoured smoke then you can still use wood chips on a gas BBQ.

Caporegime
I've had both a solid fuel and gas bbq. I prefer the gas. Far more convenient! As armageus says above, once that fat starts dripping and smoking you end up with great flavour.

Best steaks I've ever had were cooked on gas.

Soldato
They're not though? Once the lid is down, and the fat is dripping and turning into smoke, what difference is there?

Charcoal shouldn't impart any taste on the food - if you want flavoured smoke then you can still use wood chips on a gas BBQ.
I rarely use charcoal though. Tend more to use wood.

Can't do that with an outside grill.

Best steaks I've ever had were cooked on gas.

Then you haven't had great steaks to be honest. Wood smoked steaks would probably make you faint.

I'll invite you over next time I fire the BBQ up. :p

Soldato
Who gas vs coal. If it's not coal it's not a real BBQ apparently. Buy the Weber. I have one and they are great. Spur of the moment steak or fish, it's up and running n seconds. Raining? Who cares. All day bbq? Gas a lot easier to manage over long periods.

I've just finished a 10 hour smoke on a nice piece of brisket on my charcoal BBQ. It was up and running fairly quickly using a starter chimney, it's rained off and on all day, sometimes torrential but it's not been a problem at all.

Soldato

Then why not just use your grill inside?

I've just finished a 10 hour smoke on a nice piece of brisket on my charcoal BBQ. It was up and running fairly quickly using a starter chimney, it's rained off and on all day, sometimes torrential but it's not been a problem at all.
Mmmmmm I can almost smell that!! You lucky sod.

Soldato
Have a Weber Q200 portable gas BBQ (not sure if they still make them) - have used it hundreds of times now and would be devastated if it broke or got stolen. As lomg as you change the lava rocks every year, gas is a million times better than normal BBQs. I have also converted it to take normal canisters rather than the camping gas type - which saves me a fortune. I bring it to the beach, camping and use it at home. Only thing is that it is only really big enough for 4 people - if you want its big brother - go for the Q2000.

Soldato
Then why not just use your grill inside?

Numerous reasons?

Maybe I want to cook outside?
Can't remember the last time I managed to have a beer chicken, rack of ribs, numerous burgers and sausages and steaks on the go in the oven in my kitchen?
Also I don't buy this 'no difference in taste between a conventional oven grill and a gas bbq'
I mentioned convenience.

Not sure why these types of thread go on and on and on and on as some kind of real man e-peen fest.

I never said gas > charcoal or vice versa. OP stated he wanted something to not stink out kitchen. Concluded that gas for him was more convenient than charcoal. (which is 100% the case no matter how much or a pro you are at getting a charcoal bbq going.) So I told him go for it, I have a weber and can recommend. Mines actually 15 years old and still going strong.

Does get pretty pathetic if you think about it :D

Associate
OP
Numerous reasons?

Maybe I want to cook outside?
Can't remember the last time I managed to have a beer chicken, rack of ribs, numerous burgers and sausages and steaks on the go in the oven in my kitchen?
Also I don't buy this 'no difference in taste between a conventional oven grill and a gas bbq'
I mentioned convenience.

Not sure why these types of thread go on and on and on and on as some kind of real man e-peen fest.

I never said gas > charcoal or vice versa. OP stated he wanted something to not stink out kitchen. Concluded that gas for him was more convenient than charcoal. (which is 100% the case no matter how much or a pro you are at getting a charcoal bbq going.) So I told him go for it, I have a weber and can recommend. Mines actually 15 years old and still going strong.

Does get pretty pathetic if you think about it :D

Seems weber are the got to for bbq's thats why ive been looking and to get one for £199 is a great bargain. Hope someone else will benefit. Looking forward to cooking steaks/burgers and grilled fish in the winter :)

anyone know best place to buy patio gas?

Back
Top Bottom