Gay wedding.. Ideas for shots?

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Hi guys,

I've been booked as the photographer for a civil partnership in September (two men), but have no idea how to pose them. All the weddings I've ever done involve a woman dammit! :p

Anyone got tips or ideas? They're not after posed shots so I know it's going to be kept casual but I don't want it to look awkward or cheesy.

I dare not google this.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I suppose I was not clear in my OP.

I was not asking how should I pose them, but the "types" of shots that are applicable to same-sex couples. I already know they're after informal, relaxed shots. Do I ask them to kiss or keep it safe and have loads of shots of them walking and laughing etc. Googling is not fun :eek::(

The couple themselves have stated that they aren't interested in formal shots except for the core obvious shots, but they also said they have never been to another same-sex ceremony, so they aren't sure what to expect in terms of shots.

This is will be my 4th wedding this year (including one this weekend), and my 16th wedding in total, so I feel comfortable shooting for a bride and groom but they approached me with the statement that they like my style etc, which is my reassurance. They are aware that I've never covered a same-sex ceremony.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Thanks for the comments guys. I've spoken to the couple since and they're happy for me to continue as I would normally. All my weddings have come through word of mouth, and I always take the time to meet the couple first and show them my previous work before letting them decide if I can achieve what they want. I feel comfortable that they know what they're getting as they told me this upfront.

For the weddings I've got in the next 2 months I've arranged a few pre-wedding shoots, to get the couple used to posing etc, as it's not something I've done previously but I feel would help give them a feel for "how I work".

On the subject of weird weddings; I actually had a wedding this weekend where the vicar was laid back and his only comment was no photography during the signing of the register, which I've found to be normal anyway. I've done weddings where they've asked that I "don't use flash", another when I turned up and was told "If I had my way, you'd have to wait outside... just stay at the back" and others where the registrar has asked I don't pictures during the service :o

I try to play it sensible, like not taking pictures during prayers or hymns, but again, I've found it's best to chat to the vicar etc beforehand so you don't go bounding in..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom