• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
but u worked hard in your job/career to be able to afford those cars so the person you are quoting is saying that.

ie people who have worked hard in life to obtain funds to buy things like this is what his on about
See for me at least you are missing the point. I could order one right now no problem . The wife even encouraged me ( I think she wants me to shut up about getting an upgrade as been looking for months). But for me if I feel I am getting taken for a ride it WILL affect my enjoyment.
Chances are I will cave. ... But it will be for a less horrible price than that. Surely they will have to come down in price once the 1st wave are gone.
Hell we knew earlier today we may be looking at $1K. ... But I thought MAYBE we would get £950 or so and on top of that I was hoping they would throw in the games shown in the stream
But no
... Shafted on price, currency conversion AND no games bundle. Screw that

Soldato
they will drop £100 off these cards in 2 months and everyone complaining about the price will buy them shouting how much of a bargain they got.

remember they done this last gen aswell as previous gens. the titan then the titan+1/3 and then titantV. this gen they will do 2080ti, 2080ti+1/3, titan, titan+1/3, titan(next gen letter) and maybe even more. 5 years down the line the 1050ti will get the XX80Ti motif.

If the 2070 twice as fast compared to the 1080ti then to be fair... price is probably not looking too bad really....

But they quickly slipped in at the end with RTX on.... not general gaming.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
And yet again more people are priced out the market. This is the biggest increase between series that I can remember, especially the *70 series. Which was one of the most popular models of the 9 series.

Launch prices were/are;

970 - $329
1070 - $379
2070 - $499

I'm guessing this will trickle down the *60/*50 series too.

With more and more increases in pricing, more and more gamers in the biggest market sector, simply will not buy. I think the series below the *70 won't even be RTX which will segregate the market even more. Only those willing to pay above $500/£580 can have RTX features, which will make that portion of the market incredibly small.

Man of Honour
Exactly :) Value for money and also respect for yourself.. Sorry I have some expensive hobbies but not one makes me feel like I have been ripped off like GPU pricing and PC hardware has in recent years (Computers were my first love BTW, I'm 45 years old and love computer tech but in last few years sadly started to fall out of love with it, because of the companies running the industry).

Yeah - over the last 3-4 years I've spent probably more than 40 grand on one of my hobbies - haven't even spent close to that on GPUs hah. And I'm certainly not falling over myself to buy a 2080ti though I've got a bad feeling I'm gonna spend more than I like sooner than I like on a Turing generation card though the smart money will likely be waiting a bit longer.

Caporegime
Cause it does, he has a Aston on the bottom of every post he makes, bet Tom didn't give it much thought when it bought it, worth it in his threads alone so every-one can see it. If you have the money your'd buy anything you fancy.
Plenty of us here could buy a 2080Ti tomorrow with no ill effects. Ie, we wouldn't need the money for something else.

There is a world of difference between this, however, and having so much money that £1000+ is just pocket change. I'd wager we might have a handful of people that affluent on this forum, but not more.

So for many of us buying this is a question of "Do we see good value for money". Because when have enough money to buy one, but still have some concept of the value of money, then value for money is a metric you look to to make purchasing decisions.

Plenty of us have looked at this and said, "Nope, too rich for us." That's the value for money judgement that most of us will be making.

Soldato
His statement was kinda stupid tbh.

Pricing out entire segments of market isn't a great long term decision either.... especially if it just drives more people to consoles. I love PC gaming it's my bread and butter but even i'm thinking of going back to consoles. Maybe when next gen ones come out.
If not for VR I would jump ship..... But unless something changes pc vr will continue to be the flagship

Caporegime
The PS4 Pro is far from unbearable for me. Actually it's been pretty damn awesome. And I only paid £200 for it, all in, with two gamepads and 3 games. New price.

The PS5 will be a decent jump in performance, with Zen+Navi inside. At 1080p it'll be 60FPS solid.

Those of us baulking at £800 for a GPU are probably mostly on 1080p btw, so missing 4K@144Hz isn't a deal-breaker.

Also I've been a PC gamer since 1991. The idea that PC gamers would be unable to deal with any game running below 60FPS is just lol-worthy. Sounds more like a technophile than a gamer.

We'll all be playing console games, regardless. You'll play console games on a £3k PC; I'll play console games on a PS5 :p

Yup that amuses me the most, people paying thousands to get the best IQ yet consoles (ps 4 pro and xb1x) look just as good (main differences are generally just shadows and draw distance), if not better when you factor in properly implemented/working HDR and what is even more amusing is people that plays PC games on crap LCD monitors :D

Essentially you are paying ££££ for the <60 FPS now.

Will power and principles in this case only hurt yourself. There's nothing virtuous about not buying something. Nvidia doesn't care, nobody cares.

Unless somehow you convince everyone to avoid buying it.

So once again, talking about reality, whether you guys buy it or not, it will not change the course of history.

And that is precisely why things won't change, because people have that mindset. Just think, if everyone voted with their wallet and took a stand, do you really think nvidia etc. and retailers would stick with their current prices.......

Also, as said, I'm not hurting myself as I have better things to put my money into and I value a lot more things than "PC gaming" now.

The main thing is not so much about the prices now but prices in the future, by buying into these cards at these prices now, you are giving the go ahead for the next cards to be priced even higher....

Surely there is going to come a point where people will say enough is enough, but sadly, being an "enthusiast" platform now, this won't happen, people will continue to buy at the ever increasing prices.

Again, this is a good video in general about prices:

Man of Honour
Plenty of us here could buy a 2080Ti tomorrow with no ill effects. Ie, we wouldn't need the money for something else.

There is a world of difference between this, however, and having so much money that £1000+ is just pocket change. I'd wager we might have a handful of people that affluent on this forum, but not more.

So for many of us buying this is a question of "Do we see good value for money". Because when have enough money to buy one, but still have some concept of the value of money, then value for money is a metric you look to to make purchasing decisions.

Plenty of us have looked at this and said, "Nope, too rich for us." That's the value for money judgement that most of us will be making.

I recently bought a pair of GPD Pockets (at ~£420 each) without giving the money a second thought, but I won't hurry to spend £900+ on a GPU for the sake of it hah.

Associate
Yup that amuses me the most, people paying thousands to get the best IQ yet consoles (ps 4 pro and xb1x) look just as good (main differences are generally just shadows and draw distance), if not better when you factor in properly implemented/working HDR and what is even more amusing is people that plays PC games on crap LCD monitors :D

Essentially you are paying ££££ for the <60 FPS now.

And that is precisely why things won't change, because people have that mindset. Just think, if everyone voted with their wallet and took a stand, do you really think nvidia etc. and retailers would stick with their current prices.......

Also, as said, I'm not hurting myself as I have better things to put my money into and I value a lot more things than "PC gaming" now.

Yes, it would be great, but it's not going to happen.

Even if all the news outlet and Youtubers decided to boycott them, I still doubt enough people would stop buying them. So while nice, it's something that doesn't belong to reality.

It's like a strike: unless it's everyone, it doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom