• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
That’s it guys. Threads over. No more speculation in the speculation thread.

Nah, now we know the cards exist, we'll have another 400 pages speculating when the cards will actually turn up. Plenty of speculation to go around until at least Jan. 2019. :D

Soldato
yes theres £30 difference between the 2070 and1080ti..question is,would you buy it if its say 10% slower than a 1080ti?

Looking at the specs I wouldn’t be surprised if it is quite a bit slower especially on launch.

If it matches the 1080Ti that means the RTX2080Ti is going to be near on twice as fast which I personally can’t see.

But as most have said being new tech it’s likely to be worked on and optimised more than a previous generation. Even it is is slower on launch it will likely pick it back up over time on newer games.

Soldato
My prediction is that these cards without a price cut will not be great sellers.

(If rumours of RT performance killing cards and only functional at 1080p on a 2080ti are true)

The 2060 and 2070's might sell.

Associate
i remember back in the day (6800 iirc) it was possible to unlock the locked "pipes" and shaders and get the performance of a 6800ultra (forgive me if details are a bit off)

i had a huge increase in performance because it turned out that with a bit of a voltage bump they still all worked.... (i think you needed to use riva tuner until you were happy it was working fine then could flash the bios to make it permanent)

i wonder if we will be able to do this here and get the full quadro stack?

this was my card and it was a beauty at the time. it did need a fan mounted to blow on it however once i modded it !
https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/ProductImage/14-125-142-01.jpg

It was a 6800 vanilla to 6800 GT that was possible, not to Ultra. I had two of those suckers. God bless rivatuner.

You could do the same with early 465 GTXs -- unmask to 470.

290 was the only chip I know where you could unlock to the top-tier, at least the first batch.

Both AMD and nVidia laser cut the lower-chips now so physical castration i.e. no more fun.

Associate
RTX reminds me of every early tech product that came before it, expensive, but will eventually come down in price. These are luxury items, aimed at the early adopters market and they pay a high price to get the tech first. Always have done.

It's a case of being patient and wait until the tech comes to a price point which is acceptable to you.

Associate
Have you guys seen they have shifted the review embargo dates around? - I am getting a bit worried this going to be not as spectacular as they were hoping for. Tempted to cancel the pre-order now..

Soldato
It was a 6800 vanilla to 6800 GT that was possible, not to Ultra. I had two of those suckers. God bless rivatuner.

You could do the same with early 465 GTXs -- unmask to 470.

290 was the only chip I know where you could unlock to the top-tier, at least the first batch.

Both AMD and nVidia laser cut the lower-chips now so physical castration i.e. no more fun.

ahh yeah that rings a bell now :) (its was a loooong time ago now, many many beers drank and brain cells lost since then!.)

I actually tried to pre-order a 2080 last night (sadly not from occuk) however fate must have intervened... my credit card was declined for some reason after setting up a visapay account.

Associate
ahh yeah that rings a bell now :) (its was a loooong time ago now, many many beers drank and brain cells lost since then!.)

I actually tried to pre-order a 2080 last night (sadly not from occuk) however fate must have intervened... my credit card was declined for some reason after setting up a visapay account.
Likely just a flag because it is a large purchase haha.

bru

bru

Soldato
Have you guys seen they have shifted the review embargo dates around? - I am getting a bit worried this going to be not as spectacular as they were hoping for. Tempted to cancel the pre-order now..
I thought it was at the request of reviewers, so they can do full reviews, which could be due to lack luster performance, but it could just as easily be because they perform better than expected.

We will just have to wait and see.

Caporegime
Nvidia might have also identified some kind of driver or firmware issue that needed fixing and reviews redoing. Or Nvidia screwed up shiping reviewers cards etc. Delaying things by a few days doesn't indicate a performance problem. People would find out anyway a few days later than planned.

Soldato
The article on it says some reviewers had a delay getting their cards, so they would have been the ones asking for an extention to allow them the time to do a proper review along with everyone else.

Back
Top Bottom