• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Permabanned
And with the 1080 Ti down to £600 it's virtually the same price. With a seeming 10-20% improvement for the RTX 2080 over it I have a hard time seeing how the cut down 2070 could match a 1080 Ti. We'll have to wait a bit longer to find out on that one.

I'm doubtful the RTX2070 will match the GTX1080Ti, it's possible if the performance gap is only 10-15% between the RTX2070/2080 but I suspect it's more than that.

Soldato
Good luck getting a waterblock onto the FE people! Hope you have an industrial heat gun handy (and esp a table, as per The Verge) :p

that vapour chamber is a work of art, shame about the glued on cover plate - my 1080ti FE I could get the cover off easy and just remove the heatsink, leaving the backplate and frontplate on to just attach a core only GPU waterblock, was hoping to do the same with the 2080ti but it looks like full block only, so will investigate the stock setup because watercooling didn't really gain much at all on the 1080ti

Associate
I noticed some media piece was doing the rounds yesterday trying to put more negative spin on on the release saying about no RT enabled games on release day. Seriously the media get more desperate each day, it's known we need a direct X 12 update which is rolling out in October.

Another thing that peed me off recently is some of the YouTube community, specifically gamers nexus. He is getting the cards for free to test and all he does is make digs against Nvidia in regards to the FE cooler (apparently Nvidia shouldnt be allowed to make a decent cooler for therir own product) and complains about the engineering gone in to it (too many screws). All I see is a well built cooler. If I was Nvidia I'd rig the card so it blows there rig up if they dismantle the card lol.

Anyway if anyone who has ordered directly from Nvidia, do digital river send out a dispatch email ?

Soldato
Nope the same power draw shenanigans were applied to the 480/580 vs 1060. Despite the Polaris cards having slightly more performance, reviewers/fanboys made a huge deal out of, what, 30-40W extra power and claimed this was a deal breaker. Don't pretend it didn't happen.

And it's not so much the power draw - performance, it's the heat and resulting cooling noise required to cool that is an issue for me. So if the 2080 Ti is a hot and power hungry beast, that needn't be downplayed just because the performance is there.

again.... if the RTX2080Ti is only *slightly* more powerful than an equivalent AMD card you will be right, but from what it looks like AMD are not even in this race to potentially come second!. there is no apples to apples here, if we were talking a Vega 64 vs a 1080 then *maybe* you have a case.

but what card is the RTX 2080Ti only slightly faster than from AMD but using loads more power that reviewers are meant to recommend due to being more efficient per performance per watt?

Now, IF you are talking 1080ti vs 2080 (vanilla) then ... maybe, but even then it is going to be complicated because the RTX 2080 offers different features which do not exist on other cards....... so i am sure in software which do not use those features the 1080ti may come out looking good against the 2080....
but what about if a game uses DLSS or RTX?

also, (and i am guessing here and could be wrong) but what if when rtx / DLSS is not used the card uses wildly less power than when they are? in that case it would totally be disingenuous to compare absolute max power draw of the 2080 vs the 1080ti IF when the extra features are not in use the card actually uses less power.

hell i am defending NV here and am not even a fan of them if i am honest... they are a means to an end nothing more in my view.

Soldato
that vapour chamber is a work of art, shame about the glued on cover plate - my 1080ti FE I could get the cover off easy and just remove the heatsink, leaving the backplate and frontplate on to just attach a core only GPU waterblock, was hoping to do the same with the 2080ti but it looks like full block only, so will investigate the stock setup because watercooling didn't really gain much at all on the 1080ti

It is a great looking cooler, probably the best. I'm currently running a QDC bypass on my GPU with the Strix cooler still in place. It'd be tempting to leave the FE cooler on if noise levels were tolerable.

Soldato
I call ******** on that.

My system Peakes at 480-490 watts from socket. Is 7900X taking Extra 400Wats over Heavy overclocked 2700x with volts that most would not run 24/7 ??

Call it what you want, it's possible to call ******** on anything if we stick to pseudoscience. Depends entirely on the use case and system configuration. Point is, those are the peaks I see at the socket.

What are you even doing to see 480-490W? There are many YouTube videos of people running some power hungry games on a 1080Ti and showing power draw only in to the 300's. I've also seen plenty of people running 450W PSUS with a 1080Ti and not having any issues. Obviously this is going to preclude heavy overclocking though.

Permabanned
Call it what you want, it's possible to call ******** on anything if we stick to pseudoscience. Depends entirely on the use case and system configuration. Point is, those are the peaks I see at the socket.
@Legend
Cant be Higher than Furmark + IBT Maximum at once. Thats what gets me Max load out of everything I tried.

After work I can run ya a screenshot hahahaha

Soldato
What are you even doing to see 480-490W? There are many YouTube videos of people running some power hungry games on a 1080Ti and showing power draw only in to the 300's. I've also seen plenty of people running 450W PSUS with a 1080Ti and not having any issues. Obviously this is going to preclude heavy overclocking though.

Keep in mind that's peak power draw. A 7900X @ 1.23v has no trouble pulling over 350+. Anyway, this is off topic. Point is, real systems need juice ;)

Soldato
Ryzen maxes out at 230-240 @ 1.425 Where is the extra 200W ?? Just cant get it. Do You have Hard mod on 1080ti with no tdp limit ??

But my jumper is red, why is yours green?

That is basically what you're asking me. I'd recommend posting in the CPU section or PM me if you want to know how to better compare power draw across platforms, as this is a Turing thread

Soldato
@Legend
Cant be Higher than Furmark + IBT Maximum at once. Thats what gets me Max load out of everything I tried.

After work I can run ya a screenshot hahahaha

Keep in mind that's peak power draw. A 7900X @ 1.23v has no trouble pulling over 350+. Anyway, this is off topic. Point is, real systems need juice ;)

Ah well, yes if you're using Furmark etc. than no surprise.

Depends what you mean by a "real system"? If you're not benching and doing a mild OC (and in the case of 2700X OC'ing is pointless unless you're doing it for funsies), then you won't be exceeding 400 watts very often in day to day use, if at all, even in demanding games.

Soldato
Ah well, yes if you're using Furmark etc. than no surprise.

Depends what you mean by a "real system"? If you're not benching and doing a mild OC (and in the case of 2700X OC'ing is pointless unless you're doing it for funsies), then you won't be exceeding 400 watts very often in day to day use, if at all, even in demanding games.

Not sure why we keep bringing up the 2700X (or even Furmark). You're overthinking it. The point was, and still is, that Greg's PSU choice came into question on a single GPU system. The length of time the current is drawn isn't really important if you're still tripping OCP. Nothing more needs to be said on that - or else we'll end up comparing more apples to oranges, including AVX workloads.

Soldato
Not sure why we keep bringing up the 2700X (or even Furmark). You're overthinking it. The point was, and still is, that Greg's PSU choice came into question on a single GPU system. The length of time the current is drawn isn't really important if you're still tripping OCP. Nothing more needs to be said on that - or else we'll end up comparing more apples to oranges, including AVX workloads.

For the average user with your average gaming CPU (doesn't matter what it is) and 20xx series card, with a mild OC and not running any benchmarking software, they will be hard pressed to be pushing more than 400W in day to day use. This is just a fact and all I am pointing out. The QUALITY of the PSU is another matter, and obviously a crucial aspect that can't be ignored.

Associate

agreed..my system overclocked to the max is only pulling 450 watts from the wall using corsair link om my rx1000i

Permabanned
Anyhow anything over 700w for single card systm is massive overkill. I only gotten 1200w platinum superflower cause costed me 20 pounds to jump from 650w that was running same system with no problems.

So for 2080ti system with something like 5ghz 8700k still cant see need if more than good 700w psu.

Most i gotten out of a card was 417w from modded 980ti :]

Soldato
you know i never even questioned if my PSU is going to be up to task if i get a 2080ti.

i am fairly confident it will be, of course the general thought is to try to not go above 80% psu output for most of the time isnt it, in which case i may be a little close to the bone if i am overclocking (and i would not be here if i was not overclocking ;) )

i think this is my psu CS650M
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Power/cs-series-config/p/CP-9020077-UK

(my rig is overclocked i7 5820, with 2 HDDs and M2 SSD, probably 2080ti, oculus rift, X56 hotas and various other bits and bobs)

Associate
Another thing that peed me off recently is some of the YouTube community, specifically gamers nexus. He is getting the cards for free to test and all he does is make digs against Nvidia in regards to the FE cooler (apparently Nvidia shouldnt be allowed to make a decent cooler for therir own product) and complains about the engineering gone in to it (too many screws). All I see is a well built cooler. If I was Nvidia I'd rig the card so it blows there rig up if they dismantle the card lol.

I mean, his complaints are pretty valid. If you ever need to clean the card out in a few years (say it gets clogged up with dust) then you are basically screwed with the way the FE cards are designed. I'm also concerned about the amount of airflow that can get through to components on the board but that might turn out to be a non issue. Time will tell.

Soldato
you know i never even questioned if my PSU is going to be up to task if i get a 2080ti.

i am fairly confident it will be, of course the general thought is to try to not go above 80% psu output for most of the time isnt it, in which case i may be a little close to the bone if i am overclocking (and i would not be here if i was not overclocking ;) )

i think this is my psu CS650M
https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/Power/cs-series-config/p/CP-9020077-UK

(my rig is overclocked i7 5820, with 2 HDDs and M2 SSD, probably 2080ti, oculus rift, X56 hotas and various other bits and bobs)

You should be absolutely fine. The 80% rule is a simplified one as the quality of the PSU factors in significantly there. If you see reviews of what some top quality PSUs are actually capable of above their rated wattage, it's evident that even at 100% usage you have headroom.

Back
Top Bottom