• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Permabanned
You're not going to get much understanding with that kind of comment, especially with PC enthusiasts. Most want to look at numbers and wither they can hit high setting on something literally useless.

Although I did try to make my point clear, I certainly don't expect all to understand. I think you confuse people who like to overclock with the enthusiast. The percentage that make up such people is actually very small, while the overlap into enthusiast is even smaller.

I didn't miss your point. I'm saying you don't really understand that you're making a compromise, while saying you buy the best so that you don't have to make a compromise.

You're compromising your own experience if you just set everything to max and play.

I didn't buy the best, I bought what was required to give me a good gaming experience out of the box with no additional work required. Some fiddle to make things work, I'd rather just hit play and enjoy.

Associate
Jumped into the conversation a little later without reading all previous comments but I think you'll find the opposite is true. Most folks don't want to tweak settings, but have to because they need to. I spend a lot of time on PC's daily, I want to just load up a game and get on with it - the best experience possible. I therefore buy the best GPU I can afford usually and set everything on max. These days that's good enough. Stopping gameplay because FPS counter indicates it;s suboptimal to tweak settings and enjoying doing that, I'd question whether the user is enjoying the actual game.
We're all different though but I think most don't consider tweaking settings to be enjoyable. While you may see this as others making a compromise, it may not be what they think - there's no right or wrong necessarily.
If I owned a less optimal GPU I personally would let GeForce experience automatically pick the best settings. Sure, if you spent hours playing witht he settings you can do better but to me that's hours of life wasted.

Back on topic, please lets have something new soon :), ideally a new TXP soon after an 1180
I too find little time to tweak - or inclination.

Having said that I have to disagree on using geforce experience for settings... I did that with my 660m and it thought high.to ultra settings on 1080p was a good idea. The 660m ain't even close to fast enough for that :(

Back tones GPU topic, the only thing I want is enough power to improve VR :)

Soldato
I’m not sure why people think this. Maxwell to pascal was a massive die-shrink, whatever’s next isn’t going to be anything like the same. I can see the next gen being quicker in dx12 but 1170 quicker than 1080ti - can’t see it. New features (ray tracing maybe free sync over hdmi), modest bump and better dx12 yes
Kepler to Maxwell wasn't a die shrink at all and yet there were massive performance improvements.

Soldato
When do we think the 1180 will release june/July?
I'm unconvinced that it'll be so soon. Nvidia are still restocking 1000 series cards through their website and are apparently just about to launch a new variant of the 1060. Seems to me like they're perfectly happy sitting on their mountain of cash doing nothing for now, especially since AMD apparently have nothing planned this year to compete with the 1080 Ti.

Soldato
Well let’s see. Nvidia have had a good amount of time to work something out. I’d love to see a 1170 beat the 1080ti with better dx12 etc but personally gains may be a little more modsst

Caporegime
I would like to see a GPU with 1080 performance come in at £350.

Sadly it’s not gonna happen is it?
No it's not going to happen :p

1080 perf (ie the 1170) will be £450-£500 I imagine. Prices are going up gen-on-gen, not down :/

nV don't need to release the 11 series at all. So why would they do so and give away "free" performance, when they could make more money selling the 10 series? Can't see it happening until AMD bring something better than Vega.

Associate
Quite a few signs that the new cards will be revealed in the next couple of months imo.

NVIDIA selling off 10 series cards on their website at retail price

OcUK deals on 10 series cards are very frequent recently

Loads of smart sellers getting rid of their 1080Ti/1080s in the mm before their value takes a nosedive (could also be connected to the mining craze)

Unfortunately at the moment AMD are not part of the equation in terms of competition at the high end and for me they haven't been since Maxwell.

NVIDIA didn't wait for AMD to move before releasing Pascal and they will not hesitate to strike again imo.

Soldato

1080 perf (ie the 1170) will be £450-£500 I imagine. Prices are going up gen-on-gen, not down :/

nV don't need to release the 11 series at all. So why would they do so and give away "free" performance, when they could make more money selling the 10 series? Can't see it happening until AMD bring something better than Vega.

Every time they bring a new generation out they take more AMD sales. If the 1180 comes out those on 10 series cards upgrade and the rest look at the now cheaper 10 series with no AMD alternative and buy Nvidia instead. Consumers can be quite loyal but they'll only wait so long. I'm no Nvidia or Intel fan but that's exactly what I have inside my PC. Those were the best parts for the money at the time and AMD didn't have anything close.

Next round of CPUs I can see a return to AMD. I'm not sure on the GPU though as Nvidia are so expensive (for me) and AMD are behind on performance and are expensive due to the mining demand. A small windfall coming my way might help but I'm not holding my breath!

Soldato

Because they know it will mean upgrade time for many. After 2 years both the technology and the sales are getting long in the tooth. How many who own a 10 series card are going to buy another 10 series? .With mining demand dropping which is expected to continue, there's only so many "old tech" cards enthusiasts are gonna buy :).
I bought twice this time but usually it's the TXP only of each gen, and only bought twice due to wanting a second gaming machine and also trying a little mining for a while at the start of the year. I ended up selling the TXP and keeping a couple of 1070 Ti's. I wont be spending TXP money or any new money on GPU's until the next gen arrives. I'm sure there are many with thinking similar to me.
Also, the longer they leave it the more risky it is to lose out to the competition. THey really need to flood the market with next gen cards before new cards arrives from AMD, imo. I'm kind of hoping the cards are ready and they're stockpiling so we don't end up with a paper launch due to zero availability :D.
End of year at the very latest :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Everyone predicts a doom and gloom scenario regarding price increases, but they seem to forget that the older gen still exists therefore Nvidia can't rip it too hard. Example being the release price of the 1080ti, everyone thought it would be higher than the £650 Nvidia released them at.

As for performance, an 1170 will match a 1080ti else no-one would bother buying a 1170 they'd just buy a 1080ti at it's reduced price. That's why a 1070 matched a 980ti and it's why a 970 matched a 780ti.

Back
Top Bottom