• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
It was never going to be £500 on release. The 1080 only dropped to £499 when the 1080Ti was due for release.

It will be something similar with the 1180, it will drop in price when the next x80Ti is released. If you want to wait until then. Else you are going to have to go for the 1170.
Dam...I can see me using my r9-290 until it dies.

That or just buy something now, there’s an open box 1070ti I’m eyeing for £360...I might put the kids to bed open up a bottle of Rum and have a think...

Caporegime
Think I'm going to revise my expected RRP upwards... up to £850 I think is quite likely for the 1180.

Up to £500 for the 1170. I'm not sure the xx70 card can break £500, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Soldato
Think I'm going to revise my expected RRP upwards... up to £850 I think is quite likely for the 1180.

Up to £500 for the 1170. I'm not sure the xx70 card can break £500, but I guess stranger things have happened.

if it is that price i will kick myself for not nabbing a 2nd hand 1080ti now for £500

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
if it is that price i will kick myself for not nabbing a 2nd hand 1080ti now for £500
Why? Do you expect the 1170 to be much slower than a 1080Ti?

Say the 1170 is 5-10% slower and 3GB less RAM. I would rather take that for £500 brand new than a second hand 1080Ti for £500 all day every day. Chances are it will be £450 max anyway.

A second hand 1080Ti needs to be under £400 to be of any interest to me, as I don't want another Pascal card if I can help it.

Soldato
Associate
I was hoping they'd do this with their Founder's editions. The cooler's really put me off in the past, this might be my first Founder's edition card provided the performance increase is big over a 1080 Ti.

FE cards have always put me off. They're never the price vs performance peak, and can often be the furthest from it. It strikes me as odd that third-party manufacturers have to "fix" the rad & fans before each card reaches its potential, but it's been like that for years.

A counterpoint to many of the AMD cards I guess - them not letting manufacturers build their own variants is certainly a different approach, for better or worse.

Soldato
FE cards have always put me off. They're never the price vs performance peak, and can often be the furthest from it. It strikes me as odd that third-party manufacturers have to "fix" the rad & fans before each card reaches its potential, but it's been like that for years.

A counterpoint to many of the AMD cards I guess - them not letting manufacturers build their own variants is certainly a different approach, for better or worse.
I'm not sure if Nvidia get more money from FE cards? If they do it doesn't make sense why they just didn't make better standard coolers in the first place instead of blowers.

Back
Top Bottom